What have you done to your house today

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
Looking for opinions - Cable and Packages...

Has anyone here ditched cable all together? Looking at plans today and I had Verizon Fios before and didn't have any issue except that when I got it, the only thing that was available was the bundle (phone, tv, internet) and we really don't use 2/3 of those.

Just curious to know if anyone has done it and not looked back. Literally the only channels I watched on TV was Velocity and HGTV and for $$ I think I could do without them.

Verizon has stand alone internet 50mbps starting at $39.99 + a bazillion fees. I know it sounds like I answered my own questons... just wondering if anyone else has gone this route.

Ditched cable/satellite years ago and just watch Netflix and Hulu now. Don't miss it one bit.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Pavers going down on the driveway

NDlU5sfl.jpg

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
some pretty fancy shmancy stuff there
how do you transition/blend that with your garage slab?

I'm not doing the work, too much and I have zero experience as a mason.

they brought the bricks up to the slab and will fill in with concrete, the stone goes just under the garage door.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I knew it had to be expensive. My driveway is 9 foot by 400 feet maybe I would get a discount. LOL!!!

VA Raptor

forum member
Reaction score
Pavers going down on the driveway

NDlU5sfl.jpg

That's looking great! I've thought about doing this, but my driveway is close to 100 feet and I'm afraid of what the cost would be.

Ordered myself two new Liftmaster 8500 Jackdrive motors.

Great choice! I've been very happy with mine. Make sure you have electric outlets installed in the ceiling of the garage where the openers will go as the power cords are fairly short and may not reach to wall outlets.

Don't know if you already setup an install, but if you're looking for someone to install them Loudoun Garage Door did mine and did a great job.

Also, don't forget the internet gateway, so you can open and close the doors wherever you are. They may come with it now, but I had to order it when I bought my 8500s over a year ago. You only need 1 and it will control both doors.

Amazon.com: 828LM LiftMaster Internet Gateway: Home Improvement

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Thanks! Also, trying to figure out if I want 6 2-lamp fixtures or 4 4-lamp fixtures in the garage

21x20 garage.

Some pics from today when I got another electrician estimate. Can't wait to get this place spiffy.

6bd738f523a4c5190739ba4819e3e4f8.jpg

48244952c885610f434f6f5499e766a2.jpg

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
16 bulbs is better than 12 bulbs for garage lighting. You can never have too much.

I have the newer T12 florescent fixtures in mine. Just cheapies from Home Depot but plenty of light and they come on instantly.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Pavers done - new sod & sidewalk tomorrow

UiAq7Dil.jpg

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Dave, that looks amazing.

16 bulbs is better than 12 bulbs for garage lighting. You can never have too much.

I have the newer T12 florescent fixtures in mine. Just cheapies from Home Depot but plenty of light and they come on instantly.

I wasn't sure if it would make much of a difference to have the 12 in 6 different spots versus the 16 in 4 spots.

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score

Newer T12?
T12 and T10 are ancient....
T8 is more recent and T5 is the newest in the fluorescent line.

I'd skip all that and go LED. Just retrofitted all the fluorescent lights in the basement and garage, much brighter, lower energy consumption and longer life spans.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Newer T12?
T12 and T10 are ancient....
T8 is more recent and T5 is the newest in the fluorescent line.

I'd skip all that and go LED. Just retrofitted all the fluorescent lights in the basement and garage, much brighter, lower energy consumption and longer life spans.

Sorry, must be T8. Skinnier than old tubes, about 1" diameter. They work great. Four bulb fixtures were only $50 each.

IMG_3240.jpg

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back