Random Misfire

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
So I have some hope I may have found the issue. I monitored the TP1 and TP2 voltage through the PCM to make sure it was a smooth ramp. Just sitting in the car with KOEO I could go though the sweep and listen to the throttle body open and close. I then had my wife start messing with the wires at the TPS and motor to see if it changed. Well it did. Specifically just wiggling the wires right at the TPS connector. You could hear the throttle plates open sporadically even though the throttle pedal was not moving. Got a new connector on order from Rockauto and hopefully that fixes it.

Good job. Intermittent issues are such a PITA to locate.

Saleen304

forum member
Reaction score
Last update. The connector seems to have fixed it! I have driven a couple hundred miles with mixed driving and no misfires or any other codes. It even seems to pull a LOT harder up top than it did last year. Makes me excited to see how it does at the strip now since I was grabbing mid-10s last fall...

Saleen304

forum member
Reaction score
Update: Car was running great without issues and then it started misfiring again on my final session at a road course. Long story short is I found what was probably my main issue all along. When I installed the harmonic balancer a couple years ago I must not have torqued it down enough which allowed the timing wheel to move and make some contact with my timing chain. This also messed up the keyed area on the timing wheel. Replaced the parts including timing components and she’s good to go.

9f1eec646202ca64c901273caef6296b.jpg

aa9b152bef522a05d63ccab64262906b.jpg

028e73a7bf7ae7aee6a011c77d433e06.jpg

Last edited:

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
^^^ That would cause a misfire without a doubt. What led you to find that? It makes sense, but to factor that in on an issue that begins happening two years after the upgrade would make it more of an after thought than a likely probable fault.

Great stuff right there.

Saleen304

forum member
Reaction score
^^^ That would cause a misfire without a doubt. What led you to find that? It makes sense, but to factor that in on an issue that begins happening two years after the upgrade would make it more of an after thought than a likely probable fault.

Great stuff right there.

I have been fighting this issue for more like 1.5 years. I am sure it just got worse over time. It was pretty lucky that I even found it. I thought I had a phaser issue so I replaced both phasers and installed limiters. During the process I screwed up the cam timing by a tooth so I had to pull the front cover off to re-time the engine.... and viola! Oh and I found the real issue to my phaser problem. Cut tensioner seal.

23707376fba47b4642c3062d4b2b8ccd.jpg

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
The man above is shining on your parade with both of those finds. That gasket seal would cause an issue for sure. Reminds me of replacing internal optics on a 4000 watt CNC laser and suddenly having a vacuum leak test fail afterward from a cut O-ring that seals the mirror holder. It's the stupid little things that always seem to drive a person crazy.

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
Man, I can't believe you finally resolved your issue. I woulda given up by now.

06monera96

LeShawno
Reaction score
Glad you found the issue.

Thanks for the PCM (y) Canadian folks wants 400 bucks for it @_@..

BTW did the PCM have PATS in it?

I am able to start up the car and drive it without programming the keys weirdly lol

Saleen304

forum member
Reaction score
Glad you found the issue.

Thanks for the PCM (y) Canadian folks wants 400 bucks for it @_@..

BTW did the PCM have PATS in it?

I am able to start up the car and drive it without programming the keys weirdly lol

Thanks. I believe it had PATS on it, but I had Lito send me a tune to disable the PATS during my tests. I returned it to stock before I sent it to you though.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back