HELP

teeje

Reaction score
Hey guys I have an 08 mustang gt. This just happened out of no where. I was driving and it was struggling to go in first gear. I connected my scam tool and pulled I believe a p197 or p198 I shouldn't have cleared the codes. I discod the battery for about 45 minutes cleaned the intake and maf (used appropriate cleaners) and I have it running right now with no issues. I'm about 2 hours away from home and I work tomorrow. So far it hasn't started doing it again. When it was doing it, I revved it up and it was sputtering and almost died when it returned to idle. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

teeje

Reaction score
After some observation, I previously had engine work done. It seems it only happened after sitting for a while and idling with a.c. on max for.about 30 minutes. Turns out, on the passenger side, the o2 sensor was on the top of the transmission (little mounting hole on the side) there was some water in it. I pulled it down and put it ok the bottom. I guess the condensation from the AC got inside the connector and caused this issue? I mean is that even possible? Seems to be a coincidence because it happened RIGHT after idling with A.C. on blast for like 25 to 30 minutes. I hardly use ac as I just keep the windows down but it's been sweltering hot here lately.
Thanks guys. Just looking for some advice.

After cleaning the MAF and a quick clean of the throttle body and drying the connector out and moving it, it seems to have more power now. Not sure if a coincidence or not. Can't remember what the code was. Pretty sure it was p2197 or p2198. I guess this makes sense if water got in and shorted the connector?

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
If you check at the top of the tech section you'll find all OBDII trouble code definitions listed. I'm going to go with you had a P2197/P2198, 2197 being O2 stuck lean, 2198 being stuck rich. A P0197/P0198 would be oil temp sensor too low/high.

That said, it's possible water may have caused a short in the connector. If possible, try to position the connectors so they won't be in the path of condensation anymore.

Alternatively, it's also possible it may have been a coincidence. Your O2 sensor may be going out. You could wait and see if it happens again. But if you rely on your vehicle to get you around and can't have it stranding you or acting up, preventative maintenance would be the best course of action. Just replace both front O2's and be done with it.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
May wish to look and see where the AC condensate drain tube is located with respect to the O2 sensor connector in question. It may be possible that condensate from the Evap coil is draining and wicking down the cable or directly onto the connector as well. Just something to think about based on the description of the fault and when it was happening.

46addict

Reaction score
There's no way to tell for sure if that o2 sensor is going out without logging o2 voltages and making sure voltage is switching back and forth from .1 to .9 volts. Another thing to check would be making sure you are getting fuel trim readings on bank 1.

teeje

Reaction score
There's no way to tell for sure if that o2 sensor is going out without logging o2 voltages and making sure voltage is switching back and forth from .1 to .9 volts. Another thing to check would be making sure you are getting fuel trim readings on bank 1.
Voltage looked fine on my scanner. I'm lake a look tonight. I'll do e ratings when I leave work when it's cold and when hot and report back but ever since I moved the connector, it's been fine

teeje

Reaction score
Seems like that fixed the issue. No more problems

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Terrible thread title. I usually ignore the generic 'help me' threads but was bored. Be aware that many people here will use the search function to find answers to their issues and being just a tiny bit more specific in your thread title makes that a little easier for others. But you're probably more of a Facebook kind of person.

Carry on.

teeje

Reaction score
Not much of a Facebook person really. However I thought i would not have been able to make it home for work when I was 2 hours away

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back