BOOST....

gmcvt

Reaction score
Ok guys, I would appreciate any input on the following. The car is a 2013 5.0 A6 and will be mostly daily driven and occasional track use. I am aware of some of the fundamental differences between turbo/PD but what I'm curious about is how a stalled A6 plays into that. Taking into consideration the advantages/disadvantages of each method, which do you guys believe would provide the best balance between track potential and daily driver fun? Turbo with stall or PD (with or without stall)?

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
If you want quick track times, either can work well. The centrifugal will need more stall speed, and that equates to less street friendliness for some people, "I couldn't care less". I really really like my set-up alot, and would drive it anywhere.

A pd blower will cost you more initially, but you may not even have to bother with an aftermarket stall converter, depending on just how quick you want to go, or how hard you want to spin that blower, but I'm sure there's many quick PD blower cars running at the tracks on the factory stall. Even though my car's blower is driven pretty hard and waste-gated, it would be miserably slow with the factory converter, I'm sure.

In my opinion, a high 10 second car is pretty quick until you get on the internet, and a high 10 would be pretty simple with just a pd blower and tires, A centrifugal will get you there and beyond, but there's more to it than just slapping on a blower and tires and being done. The biggest reason I went with a Paxton, is because everyone recomended VMP, turbo, and Whipple to me, hahaha! I know these cars are cookie cutter quick cars, but I'd at least like to have a different blower than my neighbor's.

Last edited:

skaarlaj

Reaction score
Yeah kind of like slipping a clutch / spongy, and when the converter locks up at part throttle under light load it feels kinda jerky, but it doesn't bother me at all. I could probably tune differently to get rid of some of that, but it's just not high on my priority list. And honestly, I'd still have an aftermarket converter in my car even if I did have a PD blower instead of my centrifugal, just maybe not quite as loose. here's a good video, about 47 seconds into the vid really represents how it will act on the street.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUfaIEIwK-s

Last edited:

gmcvt

Reaction score
Thank you for the Centrifugal input. I hadn't really considered them but I have read that they are very linear with the powerband of the coyote but maybe a bit low on the torque side at lower RPM's. That is why I was asking about the turbo vs PD. Do you have any insight on the turbo side? Do you feel the A6/Stall combo may have helped just a bit with the centrifugal being a bit low on torque down low?

And I agree that it seems everyone has a PD blower (for a good reason of coarse) and something different would be nice. :) But that is from a very limited exposure so far so my impression could be completely wrong.

If you want quick track times, either can work well. The centrifugal will need more stall speed, and that equates to less street friendliness for some people, "I couldn't care less". I really really like my set-up alot, and would drive it anywhere.

A pd blower will cost you more initially, but you may not even have to bother with an aftermarket stall converter, depending on just how quick you want to go, or how hard you want to spin that blower, but I'm sure there's many quick PD blower cars running at the tracks on the factory stall. Even though my car's blower is driven pretty hard and waste-gated, it would be miserably slow with the factory converter, I'm sure.

In my opinion, a high 10 second car is pretty quick until you get on the internet, and a high 10 would be pretty simple with just a pd blower and tires, A centrifugal will get you there and beyond, but there's more to it than just slapping on a blower and tires and being done. The biggest reason I went with a Paxton, is because everyone recomended VMP, turbo, and Whipple to me, hahaha! I know these cars are cookie cutter quick cars, but I'd at least like to have a different blower than my neighbor's.

Last edited:

skaarlaj

Reaction score
Thank you for the Centrifugal input. I hadn't really considered them but I have read that they are very linear with the powerband of the coyote but maybe a bit low on the torque side at lower RPM's. That is why I was asking about the turbo vs PD. Do you have any insight on the turbo side?
The fastest stuff I've seen at the tracks I go to are turbo. I'm just sort of intimidated by the install of one is the reason I don't have one on my car. I know once they are sorted out, they are hands down bad-ass. The right converter is critical on a turbo car as well if your goal is going fast in a straight line. Aside from staging against a jerk like me who will just simply not fully stage first against a turbo car, having a correctly stalled turbo car with plenty of traction would be a very comfortable feeling!!

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
I'm on my third PD setup. Couldn't be happier. I am planning a stall converter for the spring (had a nice one lined up locally but the guy never came through....still waiting). As mentioned a lower stall will suffice on a PD setup when it comes to street manners. A 3500 (258mm 3C Circle D) is what I was spec'd for my setup and that is a mild stall compared to those run by centri and N/A guys. According to sources the 3C is very street friendly as well. So its a win - win there.

VMP Performance is a great source to speak with on their setup for a PD, and Whipple just released a new and improved rotor design on their 2.9L setup for better efficiency.

I wouldn't rule out Paxton or Vortech either as centris. You may even take a look at Hellion for a turbo option to be considered as well.

Keeping a car streetable IMHO involves keeping the setup simple. A simple Coyote FI setup with an A6 can easily go high 10's with FI and still be very, very street savy. The engine breathes well, and can perform well with the FI option and a simple stall converter along with some suspension modifications.

Best of luck. Regardless of the direction you go, you will be grinning the first time you stomp that go pedal.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah kind of like slipping a clutch / spongy, and when the converter locks up at part throttle under light load it feels kinda jerky, but it doesn't bother me at all. I could probably tune differently to get rid of some of that, but it's just not high on my priority list. And honestly, I'd still have an aftermarket converter in my car even if I did have a PD blower instead of my centrifugal, just maybe not quite as loose. here's a good video, about 47 seconds into the vid really represents how it will act on the street.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUfaIEIwK-s

Did I see that right? It looks like you punched it, the RPM spiked to 3k, and it basically stayed there while you were accelerating?

I've thought about putting a stall on my car (which is NA) to make it a little more "punchy" on the street, but I don't really know how it would behave in just "normal driving."

gmcvt

Reaction score
In my past experience, if you get the proper sizing, it is very enjoyable/driveable....and huge difference off idle.

Did I see that right? It looks like you punched it, the RPM spiked to 3k, and it basically stayed there while you were accelerating?

I've thought about putting a stall on my car (which is NA) to make it a little more "punchy" on the street, but I don't really know how it would behave in just "normal driving."

Last edited:

gmcvt

Reaction score
Thank you for the input. I agree, simple and complementary. These Coyotes are far too easy to go really quick.

I'm on my third PD setup. Couldn't be happier. I am planning a stall converter for the spring (had a nice one lined up locally but the guy never came through....still waiting). As mentioned a lower stall will suffice on a PD setup when it comes to street manners. A 3500 (258mm 3C Circle D) is what I was spec'd for my setup and that is a mild stall compared to those run by centri and N/A guys. According to sources the 3C is very street friendly as well. So its a win - win there.

VMP Performance is a great source to speak with on their setup for a PD, and Whipple just released a new and improved rotor design on their 2.9L setup for better efficiency.

I wouldn't rule out Paxton or Vortech either as centris. You may even take a look at Hellion for a turbo option to be considered as well.

Keeping a car streetable IMHO involves keeping the setup simple. A simple Coyote FI setup with an A6 can easily go high 10's with FI and still be very, very street savy. The engine breathes well, and can perform well with the FI option and a simple stall converter along with some suspension modifications.

Best of luck. Regardless of the direction you go, you will be grinning the first time you stomp that go pedal.

skaarlaj

Reaction score

It wasn't me, just a video I found. and no he wasn't floored, just lightly accelerating. I highly recommend one for any A6 Coyote, from stock to whatever. It was the first thing I did to mine, and it's still my favorite mod on the car.

07 Boss

Reaction score
The thing you have to remember is that if you have a converter on there now, when you up the power your stall speed will go up too. After my whipple got put on I pulled the converter and sent it back to PI to have it tightened up.

Phil

forum member
Reaction score
It wasn't me, just a video I found. and no he wasn't floored, just lightly accelerating. I highly recommend one for any A6 Coyote, from stock to whatever. It was the first thing I did to mine, and it's still my favorite mod on the car.
Agreed, I hardly notice it under "normal" driving anymore, but when i go 1/2-3/4 or FT, I really notice it then and smile everytime.

skaarlaj

Reaction score
The thing you have to remember is that if you have a converter on there now, when you up the power your stall speed will go up too. After my whipple got put on I pulled the converter and sent it back to PI to have it tightened up.
Yeah, my 5C was a little too tight when it was NA, and now it's perfect!

JLear

2014 GT
Reaction score
VMP TVS on a 79 and a circle d 2c, car drives very close to stock on the street and runs decent at the track. I'm satisfied with it for now lol.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back