swflastang05's build thread

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've always run Brisk 3vr14s
Wow, I did not know there where specific plugs out there for "big horsepower" that is cool.
What do you think of the NGK Iridium IX #7554 ? They are one step colder. Rock Auto has them for $5.96 a pop. New head.
a315985abc3e01a4f438ef2012294caf.jpg

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

lito

forum member
Reaction score
Those NGKs are great if you have 12mm heads, I prefer them a lot better than Brisk for new head style.

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Those NGKs are great if you have 12mm heads, I prefer them a lot better than Brisk for new head style.
Thanks for the endorsement Lito. That is what I will get then for my DOB kit.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
Yeah slim pickings for the early style heads, pretty much Autolite / motorcraft or Brisk, IDK if there's any others or not?

jhunt47

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah slim pickings for the early style heads, pretty much Autolite / motorcraft or Brisk, IDK if there's any others or not?

Of the above which ones do you like for the older head design with forced induction?

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
Small update following all the commotion last month with hurricane Irma, I finally got my valve body back from FB Performance and reinstalled it this past weekend. FB found the separator plate was bent, somehow. They don't see how it possibly could have bent during shipping either.

Q0aX7obl.jpg

UZK32jfl.jpg

1r7Dv73l.jpg

Of course I tested it out after the install and to no surprise, there was still no lock up function. It tries, even does better than it did before, but still no real lock up. Furthermore, to complicate things worse, I tried the transbrake out and the motor instantly shot up to over 6200+ rpms before I lifted! IDK how high it would go if I didn't lift. It's supposed to go to around 4500 rpm. The good news is though that I learned it's the lockup clutches in the convertor that failed. For some reason I was thinking they were inside the tranny and that the whole tranny would need to be overhauled. So obviously I gotta pull the tranny and send the convertor back again, but at least it's not the tranny, trying to be positive here :). Also, the motor still had a miss above 6000 rpm (I must not have spun it high enough when I tested previously with the new set of plugs), I learned that my plugs being gapped at .031 was waaay to much for my motor, thanks to LITO and my local machine shop, so I closed the gaps down to .020 and will retest when I can. The gap being too wide was blowing out the candles, as they say. My local shop said they recently had to gap a SBF down to .015 before it stopped missing under high rpm / boost. I'll get this car back in good running condition again someday!

Last edited:

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
And you thought owning a Street/Race car would be a walk in the park? LOL! We all do.........Until issues set in. At least you have somewhat of a handle on it.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
And you thought owning a Street/Race car would be a walk in the park? LOL! We all do.........Until issues set in. At least you have somewhat of a handle on it.

Nah, I know much better than that, I just wish I would have left the damn convertor alone while I had the motor out a few months ago, it probably would have been perfect with the extra power this motor makes. I only sent it back to loosen it up a bit since it didn't stall high enough on the TB. You know the saying hindsight's a bitch!

Just a thought but are you getting the right voltage to the solenoid?

Oh yeah, I put my meter right on the wire just as it enters the tranny housing to confirm it's getting full voltage, which it is. I even bypassed the relay controller and wired it direct just to make sure. And now this is 3 different solenoids in there that all failed, or actually they work fine it's just the clutches that are slipping. For some retarded reason the lock up clutches in the convertor took a dive. I wonder if they left the same ones in when they restalled it, I bet they did since I didn't pay for new ones. Oh well I'll try to make time to pull it out this weekend and send it back, again. I was considering leaving it for now and just not trying to use the lock up but I'm afraid something else could come loose and spread shrapnel throughout the tranny, in which case I would need a total overhaul, which is of course what I'm trying to avoid.

travelers

Reaction score
Yea auto trans are so picky about little things running through the valve body and other places. I'd hate to see your shipping bills. but yea safer is the way to go.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
Yea auto trans are so picky about little things running through the valve body and other places. I'd hate to see your shipping bills. but yea safer is the way to go.

Yea I should get stock in UPS lol. Well I had some time to kill after work today so I figured I might as well start pulling the tranny, with the intent to finish it this weekend. I was very pleased to have it 100% out in less than 2 hours, and that was even with me really taking my time and putzing around! Now I can ship the convertor out tomorrow. So here it lays again, back to the waiting game.

Tiuh92Sl.jpg

VAcQMXjl.jpg

YAsFLIRl.jpg

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
Good thing I decided to pull it now, after draining the convertor overnight I found little chunks inside at the bottom!

80LrOj5l.jpg

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
Well lookie what finally showed up at my door this afternoon! Diagnosis is that the lockup clutches were "totally destroyed". They ended up tightening the stall speed back up also, basically set it back how it was originally.

EFHBGQGl.jpg

It took forever but I do have to give FB Performance some props, Fred hooked me up as best he could on the fee to rebuild the convertor, he only charged me his actual cost plus shipping, about $175 total. Although they didn't repaint it, I guess you have to pay extra for that LOL. I'll probably just hit it with some clear before reinstalling it, mostly to prevent rust. It's not like you can see it once the tranny is back in place. Now to find some time to put everything back together.

travelers

Reaction score
Cool are you going to be able to get to the track before the cold temp sets in and freezes the oranges down there..... haha

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
Cool are you going to be able to get to the track before the cold temp sets in and freezes the oranges down there..... haha

Yea we don't have to worry about freezes too much around here lol. It's almost kind of ironic that while so many people across the country spend the winter months working on builds or upgrades since it's too cold / snow / ice etc to use their cars, but here the winter months are the best time of year for driving and going to the track. I managed to get everything back together after work today, just need to top off the tranny fluid and test everything. Then I can get back to putting some miles on the new motor and sending some logs to Manuel so we can get this now combo dialed in, then it's time for the track! I would love to run Limited Street @ Bradenton this year but AFAIK my F-1A blower isn't allowed. I might have to see if I can beg, borrow, or steal an approved one from somebody for that race, if anyone has one they're willing to send my way, let me know!!

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
Finally got it back together and went for a test drive this afternoon, and it runs great! It behaves as you would expect with a tighter convertor, even quicker acceleration from a stop with less rpm, less trans temp, and now finally the lock up works correctly again. Just barely leaning into the throttle it really takes off now without the slippage of the previous convertor set up. A quick TB test rpms went up to about 3800-3900, probably 4000-4100 when we put some timing back into it, which should be about perfect. Now back to putting on some miles and tuning, hopefully it will stay together for a long time this go round!

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Finally got it back together and went for a test drive this afternoon, and it runs great! It behaves as you would expect with a tighter convertor, even quicker acceleration from a stop with less rpm, less trans temp, and now finally the lock up works correctly again. Just barely leaning into the throttle it really takes off now without the slippage of the previous convertor set up. A quick TB test rpms went up to about 3800-3900, probably 4000-4100 when we put some timing back into it, which should be about perfect. Now back to putting on some miles and tuning, hopefully it will stay together for a long time this go round!

Sweet!:party52:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back