exhaust diameter questions, also ebay long tube headers any good? please advise

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
The headers are in, just finishing up the install, they fit perfectly. So amazed how well they fit actually.

With stock k-member and OEM motor mounts I have ton of clearance every where including the steering rack.

Gonna finish up and report back. Hope I didn't speak too soon lol.

Edit:
Ok confirming these are legit. Fits perfect and mates perfectly with the Pypes midpipes for log tube headers.

Last edited:

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
god bless those little kids and their tiny fingers that built these intricate headers.

I sent a question to the seller about the 1 3/4" headers - they are going to measure the tubes.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Last night I won an auction of pretty much the same headers that o2sys got for 80 bucks! I was the only bidder lol. I cant wait to get them in and grab a new mid pipe. I hope mine are as good as yours o2!

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Damn that's cheap... Might get another set to send it powder coating so I will have no down time.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
It was a chance happening. Theres a seller that used to sell 2v headers at auction starting at 9.99 so I started looking for a set at auction for my 3v. Keep your eyes peeled for deals, theyre out there.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Let me know how those fit as those look like BBK replicas.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
I was originally going to get a set of those style headers before I bought my knock off pypes. I like that theyre a true long tube design but I remember a magazine or something did a comparison of all brands of long tubes for these cars and the Pypes came out on top.

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
Well now I'm sad that I spent so much on Pypes...

Are we going to assume that all of the Kooks copies from various sellers are the same? Speed Daddy, DNA, etc. Roughly $360 all in (includes Pypes mid) is damn good for some decent fitting longtubes. Might be time to open up the exhaust on the paxton car.

Also anyone know how to get those POS ball/socket flanges to stop leaking? I'm about to buy some 2.5" V band kits and weld the socket up, adding the V bands just downstream of them.

travelers

Reaction score
Well now I'm sad that I spent so much on Pypes...

Are we going to assume that all of the Kooks copies from various sellers are the same? Speed Daddy, DNA, etc. Roughly $360 all in (includes Pypes mid) is damn good for some decent fitting longtubes. Might be time to open up the exhaust on the paxton car.

Also anyone know how to get those POS ball/socket flanges to stop leaking? I'm about to buy some 2.5" V band kits and weld the socket up, adding the V bands just downstream of them.

I use the red high temp RTV on my header flanges and no leaks. I would think if you put a thin layer on the ball and socket it should seal it up.

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
So, which are better for low end torque, the "BBKs or the Kooks?

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Pypes include these for when the joints leak:
78ff0371053a9d56b4796c45b869f864.jpg

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
So looks like the driver side header rubs the steering shaft during hard cornering:
86a131ffbbf56e20bb54fcc3409d71a4.jpg

I shifted the engine as much as possible towards the passenger side and standing still and going straight it doesn't touch at all as I have someone turn the wheel while I checked.

But looking at the markings it must be while making left turns the lean must cause this.

Any ideas for more clearance without pulling it out and making a ding on the headers?

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
You can ding the headers pretty well without affecting performance. Lookup motortrends video on them doing it

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
You can ding the headers pretty well without affecting performance. Lookup motortrends video on them doing it

No I know that I just don't feel like pulling the headers out to do so.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
I'd more expect engine rotation on its mounts from the torque reaction to be the cause of contact between a header tube and the steering column.

Norm

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Mine came in the other day! The box was ripped but everything was packed neatly and the box was banded so it didnt fall apart. Also no dings or scratches. So far Im impressed with my 80 dollar purchase lol. I have adjustable poly motor mounts so I hope not to have any issues like o2sys.

Im at work so, Ill upload pics later.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was originally going to get a set of those style headers before I bought my knock off pypes. I like that theyre a true long tube design but I remember a magazine or something did a comparison of all brands of long tubes for these cars and the Pypes came out on top.

You sure you're not thinking of the test where the MAC's (which look very similar to Pypes/Kooks) made the most power, mostly due to them having 1 3/4" primaries and being tested on a supercharged car--whereas most of the other headers in the test had 1 5/8" primaries.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
You sure you're not thinking of the test where the MAC's (which look very similar to Pypes/Kooks) made the most power, mostly due to them having 1 3/4" primaries and being tested on a supercharged car--whereas most of the other headers in the test had 1 5/8" primaries.

Youre probably right its been a while. I bet that pacesetters would do pretty well too since they also have 1 3/4" primaries. I havent done much research or math but I wonder which would make the most all around power for the street due to primary length. I guess its all peanuts in the big picture though. Really how much more did the macs make more than the other brands, I bet it wasnt much but I am still curious.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back