What have you done to your house today

ksack

forum member
Reaction score
Closest thing I found was an overcup oak. I'll have to wait to see what the leaves look like

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Here's the finished section of blocks I made to keep the swing area clear. Nothing fancy or special but at least I can get through my gate now.

Messed around with the sprinklers a bit today and I think I finally have them all unplugged and full coverage on the yard.

Need help identifying my trees. I have 3 of them and I have no clue what they are. Here's a pic of the tree and the pods they drop. Skwerl?

Seems to be a bur oak ??

http://www.mysanantonio.com/life/article/So-many-types-of-oaks-so-many-acorns-4024232.php

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Looked at one house yesterday. Owners were a contractor and decorator and the finishes were really nice. But, I'd be lying that the main reason I went was because they had a LEGO room!

Check this out:

https://photos.zillowstatic.com/p_f/IS6ilmvurs8s550000000000.jpg

Not really coming across anything that checks multiple boxes for us lately. We've missed out on 2 good houses with 3+ acres and just hoping we catch a break soon.

Last edited:

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
I would have bought it if they did include it.

They had some very very expensive Star Wars legos. $$$$ its crazy how much they stuff has appreciated.

Dad

forum member
Reaction score
Got a quote for a new roof, standard shingles, nothing fancy just remove and replace. $5600.

Rasmus

forum member
Reaction score
Starting the house hunting process again. After selling the condo we moved to be closer to my office and rented a place. My wife hates it here - as I predicted she would. You know you are in a farming area when the featured section in the local paper is the farm report. We like to go out and as a friend who grew up here said it is a "culinary wasteland" and there is no entertainment district unlike where we lived before.

Since the plan is to move to North Carolina after I retire again, we are looking at places in Winston-Salem. My sister-in-law is probably going to have to live with us (she has $0 and is in bad health) so while I am still working my wife will live in Winston-Salem for the winter with her sister at our place.

Well, welcome to NC then. It's not so bad here.

Shaffe

forum member
Reaction score
Should have taken some pictures but took some small trees down yesterday, looks much better without them. Got a few more to take down but I think those will require professionals lol

Dad

forum member
Reaction score
The wife has started a huge landscaping project in the yard. Bought 7 trees, about 30 plants, a bunch of antique used bricks to use as edging. Probably over a grand when it's all said and done. But it should look really nice.

mikeysgt

forum member
Reaction score
Had a couple contractors come out the past couple of days. We want to build a patio cover in our backyard since we have no shade. Been here 7 years and every summer we regret not building one haha. Also checked out the kitchen, we want to do granite or quartz counter tops since we have tile counters and island. Also want to do matching counters in the three bathrooms, tile on the bathroom floors, and redo a stand up shower that has a one piece to a tiled shower setup. In our master bath, tile on the floors, countertop, and get rid of our bathtub and make it a big standup shower with tile all around including new fixtures.

Plan is to get some cash from our equity since we should be able to recoup most of the cost if not more when we sell the house in two years. Our goal is to buy a new house in a better part of town and better school districts by the time my older son starts school. Just waiting on bids from a couple contractors to see what we decide on.

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
After 20 years of the original walk from when we purchased the house...
i-dgTRgDF-X2.jpg

We decided on cultured stone blocks and river rocks...
i-XHxX6st-XL.jpg

Took several days to rip out the old walk, lay and compact crush-n-run, lay leveling sand, put the cultured stone blocks in place, installing edging, install river stone, prep soil for sod, lay sod and install mulch. I've come to the decision that I can't do this stuff near as quickly at 50 like I used to in my younger years.

Been on the honey-do list since this time last year when we had the asphalt replaced with concrete.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
agreed, very nice looking walkway now.

I dug a french drain across the back of the garage to solve the flooding issue into the garage during hard rains, and looked better than the ugly ghetto trench i dug previously.

Its not perfect, pro's would probably laugh, but it gets the job done

ksack

forum member
Reaction score
Have had the sprinklers on for a month now and the grass is getting green! However, there are quite a few dead spots. I went out this morning to see what kind of grass I have so I could buy some seed and turns out I have two kinds in my yard! I have a darker one that is growing in the best and I think it is tall fescue. The other one is a lighter green and the closest picture I could find on the internet was Bermuda grass. I like the color and look of the fescue more so I bought a bag of that and spread it around the dead spots. Once that grows in I'll tackle the other grass species and try to get rid of it. I don't know if the previous owner was an idiot or if it blew in from another yard but it will definitely be an uphill battle!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back