2014 GT500 Gear Whine

Renesis07

forum member
Reaction score
So I've been researching this for a couple weeks now and have come across a lot of information scattered across the board on multiple forums. I have a 2014 GT500 with svtpp. The diff on this car whines, and it's super noticeable. It does it mainly between 40-60 mph and is loudest at cruising speeds while you're in the gas (noise fades away when you're decelerating).

To me personally, this noise isn't normal. While I haven't owned a GT500 I've never had any drivetrain noises in any of my mustangs.

Ford states this is normal, however a ton of people that own these cars claim their car is dead silent and has no gear whine. However it seems like an equal amount of people I've talked to say theirs have the same noise and they stopped worrying about it since Ford said it's normal. Then I've read info that Ford has replaced ring and pinions due to this noise. In other words, it's conflicting information.

How worried should I be about this? Does anyone have a similar issue? Does anyone have higher miles that has had a whining rear that hasn't had any major issues?

Just looking for some feedback and advice from 13-14 GT500 owners. Thanks.

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
Your rear end should not make any whining noise. Each time the rear end in my car has made a whining noise is been because there was something wrong.

I recall one time when I had 3.55s and a locker it would make some noise around 70-80, but it was very slight and livable. The last time it started making noise it was because I broke all the bolts but one out of the ring gear.

Did the noise develop over time? Or has out always made noise?

Renesis07

forum member
Reaction score
Your rear end should not make any whining noise. Each time the rear end in my car has made a whining noise is been because there was something wrong.

I recall one time when I had 3.55s and a locker it would make some noise around 70-80, but it was very slight and livable. The last time it started making noise it was because I broke all the bolts but one out of the ring gear.

Did the noise develop over time? Or has out always made noise?

Just bought the car, had 3800 miles on it. Noise has been there since day #1. I bought the car on a very cold winter day and thought it was possibly tire noise and didn't think much of it. As I put more miles on it now that the weather got nicer I realized the noise isn't normal. I spoke to a second dealership today (recommendation from a local GT500 owner/friend) and they said any noise is 100% not normal and to bring it in. So it seems this dealer may be more help than the first one I tried.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
not normal if gears are stock

AlbertD

forum member
Reaction score
Not normal, my 07 with 50k miles has a quiet rear end, even with poly everything.

It may be possible that the previous owner did a few hard launches with sticky tires which could essentially throw the rear end out of spec, more specifically pinion depth/preload. (over crushing the pinion crush sleeve)

I suspect that most (not all) of the GT500 noisy rear end stories you heard are due to hard launches whether the owner admits to it or not.

Last edited:

nbk13nw

forum member
Reaction score
Gear whine is either improper installation or an issue. Gears should not whine.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Renesis07

forum member
Reaction score
Not normal, my 07 with 50k miles has a quiet rear end, even with poly everything.

It may be possible that the previous owner did a few hard launches with sticky tires which could essentially throw the rear end out of spec, more specifically pinion depth/preload. (over crushing the pinion crush sleeve)

I suspect that most (not all) of the GT500 noisy rear end stories you heard are due to hard launches whether the owner admits to it or not.

Yea and unfortunately I will never know what happened in the prior ownership. I know I personally haven't done any hard launches, haven't owned the car long enough to beat it up lol

Gear whine is either improper installation or an issue. Gears should not whine.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

That's what I've read, I'll update the thread with the outcome. Going in tomorrow. Hopefully there's a resolution and maybe can help someone out in the future.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Not normal at all. My 2013 GT500 was super quiet all around... only thing noticeable was the typical 5.4/5.8 "ticking" sound.

Silverhorse.s197

Glorified Welder
Reaction score
mine isn't a GT500 ... But last summer i swapped out the 4.30s for a set of Motive 3.73s.. The mechanic said during a test drive he noticed a faint gear whine .. After pulling everything apart and going over all the specs.. he felt it was just the brand of the gear set . Well after 3k miles , the noise got louder and i just picked up a vibe around 60-65. After doing some inspecting i found The hub on my pinion has about 1/4" of play . I pulled my cover and the Royal purple i used is a Dark metallic charcoal color . Put the cover back on , dumped the old oil back in and its now sitting in his garage to be redone tomorrow. $500 gear swap should last more than an oil change.Should of never agreed on being ok with the " little gear whine "

Renesis07

forum member
Reaction score
Just reading up on other peoples experiences I find it disheartening how Ford almost sweeps it under the rug and really doesn't help out unless a massive fuss is caused. At the end of the day it's a 60K+ performance vehicle, they shouldn't be expecting people to just 'accept' that a noise is normal. I've heard normal gear noises and have driven in actual race cars with no interiors where you can hear normal drivetrain noise. This isn't one of those noises, this is one of those 'oh shit what is that?" noises. Meh, just ranting. I'll keep everyone posted, talked to the advisor at the dealer again and he seems pretty committed to getting the car right and at least acknowledged that there should be zero drivetrain noise. Hopefully he's not blowing smoke, since this dealer is just under an hour from my house.

Renesis07

forum member
Reaction score
Just an update for those following.

My car has been sitting at the Dealership until last Weds. (just about a full month). The ring and pinion was on backorder. I ended up calling Ford who transferred me to SVT and they confirmed the part was on backorder. I talked a little more and the individual I spoke to made it seem like this is a well known issue with GT500s. He stated the noise is caused by "an incorrect alignment with the ring and pinion" and does NOT affect reliability at all, "it's just really annoying". Anyways, SVT gave me the green light to go get my car and said it's safe to drive until the parts arrive (ETA mid June).

So for the time being I'm just enjoying my car. I'll update again once it's fixed this summer.

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
Just an update for those following.

My car has been sitting at the Dealership until last Weds. (just about a full month). The ring and pinion was on backorder. I ended up calling Ford who transferred me to SVT and they confirmed the part was on backorder. I talked a little more and the individual I spoke to made it seem like this is a well known issue with GT500s. He stated the noise is caused by "an incorrect alignment with the ring and pinion" and does NOT affect reliability at all, "it's just really annoying". Anyways, SVT gave me the green light to go get my car and said it's safe to drive until the parts arrive (ETA mid June).

So for the time being I'm just enjoying my car. I'll update again once it's fixed this summer.

Recently picked up a 2014 GT500, mine does the same thing. This is the only GT500 I've owned with rear end noise.

Gruca

World's Slowest 3v Owner
Reaction score
Just buy a set of new gears and have Hans put them in. He's done a set for me and it was quiet as can be. Would be about $500 all in and you'll get to pick your gear ratio.

dieselboy28

sick my duck
Reaction score
I picked up a 2013 GT500 in February and it had this exact same problem. Ford Told me parts are on back order til end of may and to just keep driving it. They say as long as its the factory gears they'll warranty it.

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
Wonder if they would try to blame any aftermarket suspension components? Not sure if I want to take mine in if they're just going to blame my LCA's or relocation brackets.

Renesis07

forum member
Reaction score
Update to those who care. JUST got a voicemail yesterday that the parts arrived from Ford. Going to schedule an appointment next week to bring car in.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back