School me on Harleys

08StangGT_CS

forum member
Reaction score
So I've been thinking long and hard about getting a bike. Last bike I owned was a GSXR 600. After an hour plus of riding, my back and arms would start getting pretty tired. I've been looking at Harleys the last couple of days.

I am mostly interested in their Dyna/Softail lineup. Could someone tell me a little more about the difference in these two? I looked at a V-Rod for a while and sat on one but did not like the position. Touring bikes are a bit too big and don't think it's what I want. Sportsters are a bit smaller than what I would like.

Might not even end up getting one but would still like to learn. I keep looking back at crotch rockets no matter how hard I try to steer clear of them. I think if I do get one I'll pick one up from Craigslist that's two or three years old.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
They are highly efficient at turning gasoline into noise. I kid. I kid.

I really liked a retro style softtail once till I sat on it at a bike show. I would never have been able to ride it. I then (at the same show) sat on a couple different Metric cruisers and they were way better ergonomically. But the most comfortable for me and most surprising was the Triumph Rocket III.

That's all I got. Can't be much help. Other than to say I like a lot of the Harley's for style.

mfergel

forum member
Reaction score
No interest in a street bike from Honda, Yamaha, Triumph, etc.?

Lot's of other options. Heck, if you keep looking at sport bikes consider something like Suzuki GSX-S1000F or if you want more of a cruiser, their Boulevard line. A lot of the bike manufacturers make street versions of their sport bikes that offer a more upright riding position by using a taller handlebar and moving the pegs down slightly.

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
I've had three Harleys. A 2000 Fatboy i put 20k miles on, a 2003 Ultra Classic i put 60k miles on and a 2011 Road King I put 20k miles on. If you ride a lot and want to travel hundreds of miles the Ultra Classic is the way to go. If you want something just to scoot around on the Fatboy is a good choice. If you want a mix of touring and local scooting the Road King is damn hard to beat. Ride a Road King. You'll truly be surprised at the comfort and how easy it is to maneuver and ride. I really loved that bike. Sold it in 2014. Went without a bike for a few years and then in February of this year I bought a preowned 2015 BMW K1600GTL with 3k miles. So far I'm really enjoying it.

tightwhite08

Reaction score
I've had a v-rod muscle which is a great around town bike with mean looks, especially if you fatten the rear tire to a 260 and shorten up the rear fender. you can go to 1130cc forums to see some cool mods including handlebar risers one of the members makes that look good and will improve the riding posture.

Touring bikes are not as "big" or heavy to ride as they look, and having some wind protection, tunes, and saddlebags make them very nice to ride. I sold my street glide to my brother but borrow it as often as I can.

Coming off a sportbike you will get bored with a dyna very quickly IMHO.

eicht

forum member
Reaction score
So I've been thinking long and hard about getting a bike. Last bike I owned was a GSXR 600. After an hour plus of riding, my back and arms would start getting pretty tired. I've been looking at Harleys the last couple of days.

I am mostly interested in their Dyna/Softail lineup. Could someone tell me a little more about the difference in these two? I looked at a V-Rod for a while and sat on one but did not like the position. Touring bikes are a bit too big and don't think it's what I want. Sportsters are a bit smaller than what I would like.

Might not even end up getting one but would still like to learn. I keep looking back at crotch rockets no matter how hard I try to steer clear of them. I think if I do get one I'll pick one up from Craigslist that's two or three years old.

The difference in the two line-ups comes down to the suspension. The Dyna frames have rubber isolated motor mounts and exposed shock absorbers. The Softails have counter balanced/solidly mounted engines and small hidden shocks under the frame. They sacrifice ride quality for style. My personal preference would be a Dyna Wide Glide or Low Rider. I had a 99 Softail Custom with 16 in Ape Hangers and had to eventually sell it cause it killed my back.

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
If I ever "upgrade" from my little 750 Honda, I'd like to find a Yammie Roadstar. Great platform to do whatever you want. I've got friend's with bagged out, radio blasting ones and others with stripped down hardtail bobbers/choppers.

GreenTerror

forum member
Reaction score
If I ever "upgrade" from my little 750 Honda, I'd like to find a Yammie Roadstar. Great platform to do whatever you want. I've got friend's with bagged out, radio blasting ones and others with stripped down hardtail bobbers/choppers.

I had a roadstar and it was a great bike. But living in Wisconsin, maybe everywhere, I would get a lot of is that a Harley questions. People seemed to think less of it being a Yamaha.

My dad and brother both had Harley and were great bikes too. But I always felt they paid the name tag premium for it and to me that wasn't worth it.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Once you ride a 2012 or newer HD bagger you won't want any other Harley in the line up, unless it's a hotrod then you go Dana (big boy's Sportster)
Add the bolt in air bag kit with 5 inches of travel ($500 from most sources) and a 21 inch front tire (fat spoke if you're fucking cool) and the thing will handle like a Porsche while getting down in style.
The 2012+ Road Glide is one of the sexiest bikes on the planet hands down.

spectreman

forum member
Reaction score
I'm a Jap bike rider and have been for 40 years however I can see the appeal of a bike like an HD. I've recently started liking the current version of the Dyna Low Rider. Throw on a set of bags and a windscreen and you've got a pretty good multi-purpose HD, that is if you don't mind moving 600+ lbs of bike around.

I'll never understand why HD insists on designing, building, selling such heavy bikes when the Japs/Brits/Germans and Italians have proven otherwise.

I currently own/ride a very nicely modded '11 Ninja 1000, set up for sport touring. It's a modern version of what we use to call a UJM (Universal Japanese Motorcycle) back in the day. Good for just about any purpose, great performance, and if you're ok w/buying used, can be gotten dirt cheap- probably pick up 2 or 3 for the price of one HD. Lots of other options out there that might better suit you coming off a GSXR than an HD- that's a pretty big jump and the performance is going to a way different experience than what you're use to.
Lee

tightwhite08

Reaction score
Once you ride a 2012 or newer HD bagger you won't want any other Harley in the line up, unless it's a hotrod then you go Dana (big boy's Sportster)
Add the bolt in air bag kit with 5 inches of travel ($500 from most sources) and a 21 inch front tire (fat spoke if you're fucking cool) and the thing will handle like a Porsche while getting down in style.

This

joe_momma

forum member
Reaction score
What exactly does "bagger" mean? That it has saddlebags?

08StangGT_CS

forum member
Reaction score
They are highly efficient at turning gasoline into noise. I kid. I kid.

I really liked a retro style softtail once till I sat on it at a bike show. I would never have been able to ride it. I then (at the same show) sat on a couple different Metric cruisers and they were way better ergonomically. But the most comfortable for me and most surprising was the Triumph Rocket III.

That's all I got. Can't be much help. Other than to say I like a lot of the Harley's for style.

I got a coworker that's been looking hard at the Rocket III. That's a big bike!

No interest in a street bike from Honda, Yamaha, Triumph, etc.?

Lot's of other options. Heck, if you keep looking at sport bikes consider something like Suzuki GSX-S1000F or if you want more of a cruiser, their Boulevard line. A lot of the bike manufacturers make street versions of their sport bikes that offer a more upright riding position by using a taller handlebar and moving the pegs down slightly.

I have looked at the "naked" bikes quite a bit. This itch started about a year and a half ago when I first saw a Ducati Streetfighter. Unfortunately they stopped making it and used ones are hard to come by.

I've had three Harleys. A 2000 Fatboy i put 20k miles on, a 2003 Ultra Classic i put 60k miles on and a 2011 Road King I put 20k miles on. If you ride a lot and want to travel hundreds of miles the Ultra Classic is the way to go. If you want something just to scoot around on the Fatboy is a good choice. If you want a mix of touring and local scooting the Road King is damn hard to beat. Ride a Road King. You'll truly be surprised at the comfort and how easy it is to maneuver and ride. I really loved that bike. Sold it in 2014. Went without a bike for a few years and then in February of this year I bought a preowned 2015 BMW K1600GTL with 3k miles. So far I'm really enjoying it.

The BMW S1000R (not RR) has also caught my attention quite a bit. There's a two year old one not far from home that's selling at a damn good price too.

For baggers I kind of dig the Street Glide. What keeps me away from them is their pricetag. Too rich for my blood.

I'm a Jap bike rider and have been for 40 years however I can see the appeal of a bike like an HD. I've recently started liking the current version of the Dyna Low Rider. Throw on a set of bags and a windscreen and you've got a pretty good multi-purpose HD, that is if you don't mind moving 600+ lbs of bike around.

I'll never understand why HD insists on designing, building, selling such heavy bikes when the Japs/Brits/Germans and Italians have proven otherwise.

I currently own/ride a very nicely modded '11 Ninja 1000, set up for sport touring. It's a modern version of what we use to call a UJM (Universal Japanese Motorcycle) back in the day. Good for just about any purpose, great performance, and if you're ok w/buying used, can be gotten dirt cheap- probably pick up 2 or 3 for the price of one HD. Lots of other options out there that might better suit you coming off a GSXR than an HD- that's a pretty big jump and the performance is going to a way different experience than what you're use to.
Lee

That's what I'm afraid... getting one and not liking how it rides/handles/gets up and goes, although I know they can indeed move with their big engines.

Some guy showed up at the office yesterday and he's a Ducati fan. He's got a couple of them and has been talking about how great they are! Maybe I'll just get a Honda Ruckus!

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I got a coworker that's been looking hard at the Rocket III. That's a big bike!

Huge. Over 800 pounds, but you wouldn't know it when you sit on it. I was amazed how balanced it felt. Carries its weight low.

114hp132/ft-lbs at the rear wheel sounds pretty nice too. Wish I could have ridden one.

And if you are really looking for absurd power you can get a turbo kit for them and have over 220hp and 230ft-lbs at the rear wheel.

spectreman

forum member
Reaction score
Any 2006 and up FJR1300

Of all the current ST's, I'd agree. The 2016 & 17 are the best of them right now. The only issue w/them, IMHO, is their weight- they're still not light, weighing in at around 650 lbs. I've drooled over them- love the '16 in blue- but am not sure I'd trade my N1K for it. I've sworn to never own another bike in excess of 500 lbs. +/-.
Lee

kazman59

King of Kazmania
Reaction score
My solution

You could get a ZRX 1200...

images

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back