Inner Tie Rod Differences?

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm planning ahead for winter maintenance. Motorcraft has 3 different part numbers for inner tie rods on the '11-14s:

• 17" wheels
  • 18" wheels
  • 19-20" wheels
Does anyone know the differences between them? Should you order the part for whatever size wheels your car left the factory with, or doesn't it matter?

Since there are issues with the early EPAS systems going nuts with incorrect bushings, I want to make sure I don't screw something up.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Found this in the Chilton Manual's EPAS description:

EPAS gear assembly — The vehicle has three EPAS steering gear options available: 75mm travel, 68mm travel and a 63mm travel option. The steering gear installed to the vehicle is dependant on the wheel and tire configuration the vehicle was built with.
Inner tie rod — One inner tie rod is located at each end of the EPAS gear assembly and is available separately for service. There are three different inner tie rods available, each matched to one of the steering gear options available for the vehicle. Care must be taken to make sure the correct tie rod for the steering gear installed to the vehicle, is used when replacing an inner tie rod.

So I guess I just answered my own question.

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
Reach out to Steve @ Tasca with your VIN and he will point you in the right direction with the correct part number. Or, your local dealer.

travelers

Reaction score
From what I remember reading, you need to stay with the one for your wheels as it causes problems with the EPAS

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
I guess that begs the question, what happens when you change the wheel size from OEM?
Either going + or - ... Does it require going with the correct inner tie rod with the change?

travelers

Reaction score
What they are is the stops for the different wheels. As long as your wheels and tires don't rub I would stay with what your car came with. That's as per the manual.

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
After further research, the inner tie rod itself is the same for all fitments.

The only difference between the various kits is the width of the nylon spacer that acts as the steering stop. The nylon spacer slides over the rack's shaft before the inner tie rod is screwed onto the shaft.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
After further research, the inner tie rod itself is the same for all fitments.

The only difference between the various kits is the width of the nylon spacer that acts as the steering stop. The nylon spacer slides over the rack's shaft before the inner tie rod is screwed onto the shaft.

Far out. Thanks for looking that up!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back