Great last race of the year for me!!

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
Sadly, it was the last race in our neck of the woods, The DA started off at 8500', and climbed to around 9500' at the end of the day.

Here's what the mustang did for numbers. I made 11 passes total
  • Best ET was 7.097 Worst ET was 7.264
  • Best trap speed was 96.5 Worst trap speed was 94.1
  • Best 60' time was 1.568 Worst 60' time was 1.636
I did go to a smaller blower pulley, from a 3.8, down to a 3.47 and the 20% lower remained. I left the waste-gate alone, so peak boost was around 8-9psi, just like before, but the boost came earlier obviously, and the launches liked it apparently, as I had no (fluke) runs spinning into the 1.7-1.8 range like I usually do, but there also wasn't many street tire cars running, that I've heard mess with traction performance for drag tire cars?

Either way, since the car is taking off decently and consistently now, I'm going to add boost with stiffer waste-gate springs until I'm either trapping around 100, or I hit, and or surpass 12psi and by then I should pretty solidly into the 6's I'm hoping. I think there might be a little more tweaking in launch technique, and shock settings in the suspension department with what I already have to maybe even get solidly into the 1.5 range for the 60' times as well.

What do you guys think a trans brake would do for me in terms of ET, and 60' time? And how would you adjust the shocks for the change? Right now I'm at 9c/6r for the left rear, and 11c/6r for the right, and it's working pretty darn good imo.

Last edited:

skaarlaj

Reaction score
Drag springs
Nah, not spinning any more, 60's are pretty respectable. Not even 1 stray, lousy, wheel spinning 1.7. If just one other person has ever mentioned this to me for improving my 60' time, I'd probably try it, but mine, and even quite a few 100% stock suspension cars are getting good 60' times with the 6R80's. I think I already have some wasted money in parts back there now.

Last edited:

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
So you think a trans brake is going to improve your 60' over drag springs and your bitching about cost?
Seems legit.
You already can break traction leaving on the foot brake, a trans brake is big boy shit for when you have traction, 1.6 and 1.7 second 60' is not hooking up enough to warrant a trans brake.

skaarlaj

Reaction score
Last edited:

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
You mean the entire thread spent trying to convince you drag springs are worth it?

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
I don't think a Trans Brake will hurt you. If anything at your performance level it will help get more consistency out of your launch.

Drag Springs will always help and allow additional weight transfer.

skaarlaj

Reaction score
It's your world man, best of luck with your goals, you have a nice car.
Man, I don't want to come off as a douche here, but my car did not spin 1 time on my last race outing (11 runs), I
was actually 60'ing in the mid-high 1.5's and lower 1.6's, not one run in the 1.7's, I think I finally found a sweet spot for my shock settings. I will address my suspension again when / if my car finds a little more power and begins struggling off the line. I was simply asking what you guys thought about a trans brake for me and my situation, I'd say if it still doesn't spin, and the trans brake gets me some more rpm on the launch, the 60's can't slow down, but if it happens to spin, Again, I'll address the suspension, and get some drag springs along with a few other odds and ends.

I don't want to be one of these guys you see with everything under the sun done to their car, and it's 60'ing in the 1.9's, and basically not doing very well in a drag race. I'd rather be the guy who does well with just the needed pieces to run well.

Last edited:

46addict

Reaction score
Sadly, it was the last race in our neck of the woods, The DA started off at 8500', and climbed to around 9500' at the end of the day.

Here's what the mustang did for numbers. I made 11 passes total
  • Best ET was 7.097 Worst ET was 7.264
  • Best trap speed was 96.5 Worst trap speed was 94.1
  • Best 60' time was 1.568 Worst 60' time was 1.636
I did go to a smaller blower pulley, from a 3.8, down to a 3.47 and the 20% lower remained. I left the waste-gate alone, so peak boost was around 8-9psi, just like before, but the boost came earlier obviously, and the launches liked it apparently, as I had no (fluke) runs spinning into the 1.7-1.8 range like I usually do, but there also wasn't many street tire cars running, that I've heard mess with traction performance for drag tire cars?

Sorry to divert the subject here, but did going to that smaller pulley require a tune update? I realize peak boost remained the same so WOT fueling probably won't need changes but what about part throttle driveability?

skaarlaj

Reaction score
Sorry to divert the subject here, but did going to that smaller pulley require a tune update? I realize peak boost remained the same so WOT fueling probably won't need changes but what about part throttle driveability?
Pretty much everything was un-effected, street / track. I think I would've averaged 1-2 tenths slower at the track with the larger blower pulley though. I think it put out more power at the launch, and when these 6R80's drop down below 5Krpms on the wot up-shift into third, I think the smaller pulley helped bring up the torque there as well.

I logged a quick 2nd gear pull on the streets, confirming no knock, no lean situations, then third, and seen it was still good, so I just went with it. I just now upped the waste-gate springs 2lbs, and will log those to see if it's still ok as far as fuel, and timing / knock. Maybe get into the 6's next year?!?!

46addict

Reaction score
I wonder where the boost threshold is for a tune update. Since the airflow increase is pre-MAF I am sure the PCM can adjust for the extra air (and the extra unused airflow will be dumped via the bypass valve at part throttle) but after a certain point I would think updates to the timing and AFR will be needed.

skaarlaj

Reaction score
I wonder where the boost threshold is for a tune update. Since the airflow increase is pre-MAF I am sure the PCM can adjust for the extra air (and the extra unused airflow will be dumped via the bypass valve at part throttle) but after a certain point I would think updates to the timing and AFR will be needed.
Yeah, probably. I just drove it, and it felt like a friggin animal with only 2 extra psi! The weather's a little drizzly and cool to drive it comfortable enough to datalog a good solid run for today anyways.

I've just seen in my older track logs, that there's Zero knock, and it has yet to go lean out with the new fuel pump, so it might be ok. If the logs show different, I'll talk to my tuner, or possibly order an 11psi spring in place of my 12 I just put in.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back