Choices: '14 Roush Stage 3 or '13-14 GT500

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
Eyeballing a '14 Roush Stage 3 w/Aluminator that is well sorted and built on a factory premium Trackpak/Recaro model. Complete with remote reservoir adjustable coil-over suspension, adjustable swaybars and loads of other goodies or '13-14 GT500's.

The Roush is a low mileage example with 630whp/545wtq and an extended transferable warranty.
I've found several low mileage GT500s that are all stock for anywhere between $6k to $15k over the cost of the Roush.

Other than the Roush being straddled with the MT82 and the obvious cost difference, any reason to lean one way or the other? What would you choose?

myystanng

forum member
Reaction score
I'd pick the gt500. Factory reliably, and it's cheap and early to add some power without going into the motor. Also the resale value will always be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

groundpounder

forum member
Reaction score
GT500 FTW! (Not yelling, that's the only way to type those two words correctly! ;)

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
That aluminator eng is nothing to sneeze at, it's solid built, all forged. Dunno if the MT-82 will last long term, with that kind of power though.

The 13/14 GT-500 typ has 600 rwhp and a real tranny, it's a complete package. In the long run, the GT-500 would be a better investment. A while back, I see that VMP was selling an aftermarket high flow elbow for it. Add LT's + tune, and it would be a flamethrower on the street. I'd be inclined to replace the rears with either a 305 or a 315..and a 285 /295 on the front. I may be wrong, but I think the Roush came with a 275 square setup.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
GT500 for a fun street car.

Roush only if you're planning on getting into hardcore autocross or track days.

Also, that fancy remote reservoir suspension is going to be hella expensive to rebuild every 10k miles, which is the recommended interval for most of the high-end dampers.

fourdegrees11

forum member
Reaction score
The Roush sounds extremely overpriced if it's that close to a 13-14 GT500

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
The new Roush mustangs are more purpose built than they've ever been. But at a steep price that I can't see being justified, other than being a Roush enthusiast. A GT500 is just a monster, hell on wheels, destroyer of pavement and rubber alike. Chugs fuel that makes Jack Sparrow look like a church-going wine connoisseur. And it holds its value.

If you want to take a car off the showroom floor and thrash people at the track without turning a wrench, a purpose built Roush will do it in ways a GT500 can't touch. If you want the fire department to roll to every intersection you leave because where there's smoke there's fire, nothing does it better than a GT500. And she whines better too.

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
GT500. It's the only car I would consider getting rid of the Bullitt for.

Heaten m90

forum member
Reaction score
If you spent that extra 6-15 grand on the Roush, it would be one hell of a racecar. But 13-14 GT500s are top notch iconic muscle cars. Much like the 03-04 SVT cobras were (good years). Id go the shelby route. Best of luck

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
My problem with the Roush cars equipped with the Aluminator is.... you pay this stupid $9-10 K premium for the aluminator (all forged everything) motor. The aluminator eng is a mere $1000.00 more than a plane jane coyote 5.0 eng. IMO, roush shoulda ordered all their cars with the aluminator..and paid ford the extra grand.

It's not like you are paying an extra 10 grand for the aluminator..and getting the 5.0 in return..in a crate. It's a real scam imo.

No wonder the roush aluminators cost a bunch more. They start with a base GT, then remove the eng (then either sell it back to ford or sell it as a take off)..then install the aluminator. You are essentially paying for TWO engs, Roush keeps the plane jane 5.0 and you keep the aluminator.

That extra grand for the aluminator ( in either 9.5:1 or 11:1 CR) is the biggest bang for the buck there ever was. Dunno why ford even messes with the plane jane 5.0

They also make an aluminator for the S-550 cars. Same deal, forged crank, rods, pistons, beefed up block, bigger oil pump, and a ton of other stuff, etc, etc.

Last edited:

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
That extra grand for the aluminator ( in either 9.5:1 or 11:1 CR) is the biggest bang for the buck there ever was. Dunno why ford even messes with the plane jane 5.0

Probably due to contracts with parts manufacturers for millions of plane jane parts. Always irritated me at the thought that they could build diesel motors good for 1000+ ft/lbs and tranny's good for 1200ft/lbs but stuck pencils and chocolate pistons in their #1 sports cars. Times are changing though, even a plane jane coyote is good for 600-700whp. Light-years beyond where the mod motor came from as a 4.6 2v that wasn't sure if it could hold together passed 400whp.

I get your overall point though. Wonder what Roush actually does with those OE motors?

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Most tuner's will tell you not to push the plane jane coyote north of 550 rwhp.
None of us over on the Roush forum ever got a straight answer out of roush on the aluminator option. Roush sells tons of take off parts, but I never saw any 5.0 engs on their list. I suspect they buy the cars with the aluminator already in it.

In the bigger scheme of things, consider what a brand new, mostly fully loaded, mustang GT costs from your local dealer. IF they even offered the aluminator as a $1K option, it would be at the top of everyones list. All I see is one gong show after another, after another when it comes to folks trying to remove their existing engs..and then forge everything. Instead its a myriad of other expensive stuff, like glass roofs, brembo brakes, wheels, tires, $1000.00 Torsen differentials, optional warranties, and the list is endless.

The extra $1K for the aluminator would be the biggest bang for the buck imo. Add a centri / PD blower, turbo, spray, who cares, the eng is built to take it...cuz it's all forged. The aluminator also came with a re-enforced block and several other items. Even a NA aluminator would be beyond bomb proof. The resale value would be worth more.

Story I got was folks wanted an optional automatic for the GT-500's. Never happened, no 6 speed trannys that could be used.. with a 100K warranty on the blown 13/14 GT-500. I wonder if the new 8R80 8 speed auto will be any better ? It's 2017..and almost 2018, just build it right the 1st time.

Last edited:

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
Too bad neither are available with an auto from the factory.

Last edited:

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
GT 500....easy choice for fun now and down the road resale value.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
Most tuner's will tell you not to push the plane jane coyote north of 550 rwhp.

Which tuners would those be? My tuner has a '11 5.0 himself, and makes 670whp with a V3. Has for about 4 years now. He's tuned several other stock 5.0's in the 600whp range. The coyote is described as being comfortable making 600whp with such a small amount of boost (~10-12psi) by many owners.

Unless I've missed a bunch of carnage threads.

fourdegrees11

forum member
Reaction score
550 whp is just the typical pump gas power limit on a stock (other then boost) coyote

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back