Saleen S/C - Afco H/E Installation

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
This thread will require several posts to complete so please be patient. About 4 months ago I decided to upgrade the Saleen S/C heat exchanger with one that was larger and more efficient. I read every thread on every forum I could find and talked to every manufacturer that was on my short list of vendors (Fluidyne, Gords, Afco, Saleen & Steeda). After carefully evaluating my needs for a daily driver and what each manufacturers product had to offer I chose to install the Afco GT 500 Pro-Series Dual Pass Heat Exchanger. Now for those of you that disagree with that choice you are entitled to your opinion but let me mention some facts that are indisputable:
  • The Afco heat exchanger is a dual pass design heat exchanger rather than a single pass design
  • The Saleen Series VI heat exchanger core measures 5" x 24.5" x 2" = 122.5 sq" of frontal surface area and 245 sq" total core area
  • The Afco heat exchanger core measures 9" x 22.5" x 2.5" = 202.5 sq" of frontal surface area and 506.25 sq" of total core area
  • The frontal surface area of the Afco unit is 165% larger than the Saleen heat exchanger
  • The total core area of the Afco heat exchanger is 206% larger than the Saleen heat exchanger
  • The Saleen heat exchanger tanks measure 5" x 2" x 2" = 20 sq" and holds approx 11 oz. of fluid
  • The Afco heat exchanger tanks measure 9" x 4" x 2.5" = 90 sq" and holds approx 50 oz. of fluid
  • The Afco heat exchanger tanks hold 39 oz. (450%) more fluid than the Saleen heat exchanger
  • The fluid inlet connection on the Afco heat exchanger is on the same side as the Saleen heat exchanger but is pointed 180* from the direction it needs to point for a direct bolt in installation
  • The fluid outlet fitting on the Afco heat exchanger is on the opposite end of the heat exchanger when compared to the Saleen heat exchanger
  • The mounting of the Afco heat exchanger is identical to the Saleen heat exchanger. The Afco heat exchanger mounts on the back side of the front bumper and uses the 4 inner mounting bolts with vibration isolators and locknuts
  • Lastly I picked this Afco heat exchanger up for $379.99 from D'Agostino Racing and the unit arrived UPS the very next day
The attached picture is of the back side (engine side) of the 2 heat exchangers. To be cont........

Attachments

• 102_0001 (Medium).jpg
    102_0001 (Medium).jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Very kewl info man. Looking forward to seeing the final install and hearing IAT differences!

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
I will not go into R&I of the front fascia as anyone that is considering this mod is more than capable of performing that task. Same holds true for removal of the Saleen heat exchanger.

Once the front fascia and Saleen heat exchanger was removed, the Afco unit was mounted to the backside of the front bumper on (4) longer bolts, with vibration isolators, spacers and locknuts. Be warned even though this unit is only .5" thicker than the Saleen heat exchanger, it is a very tight fit due to the inlet fitting sticking out of the rear of the heat exchanger. That fitting almost touches the A/C condenser. But with a little tweaking of the Afco heat exchanger mounting brackets, it will fit without touching the A/C condenser. The next issue is the P/S cooler. The brackets must be tweaked so the P/S cooler tubes are vertical and much closer to the A/C condenser than before. However, this can be accomplished without the P/S cooler touching either the heat exchanger or the A/C condenser. Next is the coolant inlet fitting. It is on the correct end of the heat exchanger but the nipple points in the exact wrong direction. Not a big deal. (2) short 3/4" 90* hose elbows, a 3/4" barbed nipple and some clamps solve that problem and get the inlet hose pointed directly at the intercooler pump. Next is the heat exchanger coolant outlet fitting. It is on the wrong end of the heat exchanger. No problem. (2) more 3/4" 90* short hose elbows, a couple of 3/4" barbed nipples, some clamps, and a piece of 3/4" hose can be used to route the outlet hose to the opposite end of the heat exchanger and it easily connects to the original Saleen heat exchanger outlet hose. The following pictures are in no specific order.

Attachments

• 102_0002 (Medium).jpg
    102_0002 (Medium).jpg
    66 KB · Views: 231
  • 102_0003 (Medium).jpg
    102_0003 (Medium).jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 219
  • 102_0004 (Medium).jpg
    102_0004 (Medium).jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 212
  • 102_0005 (Medium).jpg
    102_0005 (Medium).jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 243
  • 102_0006 (Medium).jpg
    102_0006 (Medium).jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
I recommend if you going to do this job to get a helper to prevent damaging the heat exchanger or A/C condenser. I did this job entirely by myself which made the job take a little longer. Total time spent 5 hours.

Attachments

• 102_0007 (Medium).jpg
    102_0007 (Medium).jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 189
  • 102_0008 (Medium) (2).jpg
    102_0008 (Medium) (2).jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 407
  • 102_0009 (Medium).jpg
    102_0009 (Medium).jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 181
  • 102_0010 (Medium).jpg
    102_0010 (Medium).jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 188
  • 102_0011 (Medium).jpg
    102_0011 (Medium).jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 188

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
more pics.....

Attachments

• 102_0012 (Medium).jpg
    102_0012 (Medium).jpg
    76 KB · Views: 161
  • 102_0013 (Medium).jpg
    102_0013 (Medium).jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 134
  • 102_0014 (Medium).jpg
    102_0014 (Medium).jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 133
  • 102_0015 (Medium).jpg
    102_0015 (Medium).jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 141
  • 102_0016 (Medium).jpg
    102_0016 (Medium).jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 132

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
I'm sorry I don't know how much my AITs have been reduced. Haven't had a chance to check.

One last thing I should mention. It looks like there is still enough room to mount (2) small fans on the front side of the heat exchanger if I decide to do that in the future.

Attachments

• 102_0017 (Medium).jpg
    102_0017 (Medium).jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 122
  • 102_0018 (Medium).jpg
    102_0018 (Medium).jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

bad06gt

Reaction score
Great work! This will be very helpful when I plan on installing the supercharger.

Pumpkinfish

Johnny Quarter Mile
Reaction score
I just bought the same h/e for the same reason from the same vendor, lol! I'm glad someone did the install so I can see what's involved.

I do have one question if you could look under your car for me. I have the Quantum Motorsports brake duct kit and was wondering if the Inlet Adapters they make will rub/touch/interfere with h/e. I need a front view a little further out.

Last edited:

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
I do have one question if you could look under your car for me. I have the Quantum Motorsports brake duct kit and was wondering if the Inlet Adapters they make will rub/touch/interfere with h/e. I need a front view a little further out.

I have the GT 500 fascia.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
very nice work, good write up! looks like a great mod!

FR500GT

forum member
Reaction score
Bringing an old thread up from the dead...

Why didnt you just run the passenger side hose directly to the Saleen IC pump and the rear outlet straight to the drivers side? Doesnt make sense to me. I have the AFCO and Im about to install it, so Im curious. Am I missing something here haha

Last edited:

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
You bring up a valid question...

With the Saleen I/C pump mounted in the original location, the bottom port on the passenger's side of Afco H/E is about 6" lower than the I/C pump outlet and the hose, being that short, would have been a bear to route - most likely would end up kinking and restricting coolant flow. You can see this in picture #5 in post #4. Most likely will take some premolded hoses but probably not impossible to accomplish. The I/C pump can't be lowered as it will hang down below the front fascia.

Keep in mind I also have the GT 500 front fascia which has the RH brake cooling hose connection that is also in the way. Since I have no intentions of using either of those, I guess I could remove it with a cut off wheel.

If you do end up routing the hoses as you suggest I would like to see pictures.

Last edited:

TungstenGT06

S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Why didnt you just run the passenger side hose directly to the Saleen IC pump and the rear outlet straight to the drivers side? Doesnt make sense to me. I have the AFCO and Im about to install it, so Im curious. Am I missing something here haha
I have my hoses routed like you want to do and the hose from the pump to the H/E would kink. Doogie on the site gave me a part number from Napa with pre-bent hoses which he used and it worked out good. The part number is 11605.
He also found another company with pre-made hoses. Maybe you could pm him to find out where he got them.

bcb06gt

Reaction score

Mine is done this way. Very simple to do. For the passenger side, I used two "long" radius 90* bend hoses (generic) and a straight barb fitting. Perfect fit. Generic 90* hoses are cheap. I also used the same "design" for the driver side to have the connection point at the exact same location as the Saleen HE. Ran straight across the top part of the AFCO and then turned down. Keeps the main area of the HE open for a fan installation.

doogie

forum member
Reaction score
I have my hoses routed like you want to do and the hose from the pump to the H/E would kink. Doogie on the site gave me a part number from Napa with pre-bent hoses which he used and it worked out good. The part number is 11605.
He also found another company with pre-made hoses. Maybe you could pm him to find out where he got them.

Here's a link to my original thread with info about the pre-molded 180 degree hoses. They worked out great for the E-force.

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45075

FR500GT

forum member
Reaction score
Mine is done this way. Very simple to do. For the passenger side, I used two "long" radius 90* bend hoses (generic) and a straight barb fitting. Perfect fit. Generic 90* hoses are cheap. I also used the same "design" for the driver side to have the connection point at the exact same location as the Saleen HE. Ran straight across the top part of the AFCO and then turned down. Keeps the main area of the HE open for a fan installation.

Like this?
http://saleenforums.soec.org/showthread.php?t=7674&highlight=afco

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score

Why didn't you just run the passenger side hose directly to the Saleen IC pump and the rear outlet straight to the drivers side? Doesn't make sense to me. I have the AFCO and I'm about to install it, so I'm curious. Am I missing something here haha

After giving careful consideration to FR500GTs post, I took some measurements and went to the local auto parts store and came up with this
100_1706.jpg

Looks like it should work fine and doesn't look like any coupler will be required. I'll find out this Thursday. If this does allow the Saleen I/C pump to be connected directly to the passenger's side of the HE, that would be great. The HE core would have the inlet at the bottom and the outlet at the top which would help to purge any air that is trapped in the HE core.

Hose has a 3/4" ID, cost is $11.99 and is available at Advance Auto Parts

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back