Saleen S/C - Afco H/E Installation

bcb06gt

Reaction score

FR500GT

forum member
Reaction score
I work at a shop so I can go through my inventory to find an exact one...and pay half the price hehe.

Let us know how it works out, Im going this route regardless but Im curious to see if you like routing it this way better:beerchug2:

Last edited:

bcb06gt

Reaction score
Don't remember the part number off hand, and not sure I can find it, but it may have been Dayco 70021. I forgot the length of the 90* needed.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
As they say, "hind sight is 20/20"

For those of you considering installing an Afco heat exchanger w/Saleen I/C pump, routing the hoses as others have suggested is a much better/cleaner way to go. The original routing I used in the beginning of this thread has far too many elbows, connectors, clamps etc. and I'm sure was resulting in restriction of coolant flow. This was a perfect example of headuptheassitis. As you look at the first picture of the revised hose routing you'll see the RH brake cooling duct on the GT 500 fascia I mentioned earlier. However, that's no excuse for not routing the hoses this way to begin with. Just takes a little better planning and attention to detail so the hoses aren't kinked which restricts coolant flow.
100_1711.jpg

100_1708.jpg

100_1710.jpg

100_1712.jpg

Last edited:

doogie

forum member
Reaction score
As they say, "hind sight is 20/20"

For those of you considering installing an Afco heat exchanger w/Saleen I/C pump, routing the hoses as others have suggested is a much better/cleaner way to go. The original routing I used in the beginning of this thread has far too many elbows, connectors, clamps etc. and I'm sure was resulting in restriction of coolant flow. This was a perfect example of headuptheassitis. As you look at the first picture of the revised hose routing you'll see the RH brake cooling duct on the GT 500 fascia I mentioned earlier. However, that's no excuse for not routing the hoses this way to begin with. Just takes a little better planning and attention to detail so the hoses aren't kinked which restricts coolant flow.
100_1711.jpg

So are you running the pump into the passengers side lower fitting on the H/E and the output from the upper fitting?? Essentially pushing coolant through the H/E bottom to top?

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score

doogie

forum member
Reaction score
You read my mind as I had originally hooked mine up routing the pump to the lower inlet, but was concerned about it restricting flow by having to push the coolant up through the H/E. With my new 180 degree silicone elbows though, my flow should be fairly free flowing using the upper in/lower out... but I may revert back to your set-up after seeing how it performs when I finally get to start driving it again.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
You read my mind as I had originally hooked mine up routing the pump to the lower inlet, but was concerned about it restricting flow by having to push the coolant up through the H/E. With my new 180 degree silicone elbows though, my flow should be fairly free flowing using the upper in/lower out... but I may revert back to your set-up after seeing how it performs when I finally get to start driving it again.

I spoke to several shops about this very issue as well as looking into several different S/C (Saleen, KB, Whipple, etc.) manufacturers/installations and have seen the inlet/outlet hoses in both the upper and lower configurations. Some shops recommended the top fitting on heat exchanger as the inlet while others recommended the bottom. All agreed that using the bottom fitting as the coolant inlet would help to remove (purge) trapped air from the heat exchanger during initial fill and under normal operating conditions - similar to the way the I/C reservoir does for the entire I/C system.

The only real way to resolve this discussion would be to data log AITs with the hoses routed both both ways and see if one routing is more efficient than another.

Unless I see a problem with this current routing I'm not going to go to all that trouble. Just the reduction in hose, elbows, connectors, etc. probably offsets any restriction in flow required to force the coolant uphill so it's probably a wash.

I can tell you just by looking at the rate the coolant is returning to the reservoir (I know not very scientific) I see absolutely no difference with the hoses routed this way.

Last edited:

FR500GT

forum member
Reaction score
Im about to install the AFCO heat exchanger on the new Saleen I picked up and I know its a dumb question but what coolant are you guys using to fill the system back up?

bcb06gt

Reaction score
I use about 15% anti-freeze to water mixture based on where I live. I don't think you will ever see freezing temps in OC. I think the install manual suggested 20% (national audience).

FR500GT

forum member
Reaction score
what were the IAT differences?

To be honest I'm not sure, I only had the car for 3 weeks before I swapped out the stock unit for the AFCO. I will say the car does feel better boosting after sitting in stop and go traffic, so I'd say it's doing it's job. No track events yet to put it to the real test though.

Jeepngli

Anti-LS1
Reaction score
I know it's an old thread. Going this route soon. Since it's been a few years, has another had any issues with IC or the hoses you purchased? Has anyone used a coolant additive? I've heard pros and cons about the additives. Curious how your systems have handled up over the past years.

Jeepngli

Anti-LS1
Reaction score
Yikes! Is the Royal purple one pretty similar to the Mishimoto one? That sucks

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I put 1/2 container of redline in mine..zero issues. But I really don't think any additive is required at all. I doubt u will get the coolant hot enough to boil, and make bubbles..esp if a 50-50 mix of distilled water + glycol used.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back