13/14 GT 6R80 shifter options???

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Has anyone found an aftermarket shifter option for the 13/14 select-a-shift configuration? I contacted TCI about their shifter for the 11/12 and they told me that shifter would not work on the 13/14 because of the select-a-shift function. American Muscle also told me that they had tried to implement an 11/12 TCI in a 13/14 but were unsuccessful in doing so. B/M and Hertz have no plans for offering anything aftermarket on the 6R80 from calls I have made.

Is there an option I am overlooking? Or has someone possibly found a way to use the 11/12 TCI shifter in the 13/14 car without a major dissection of wiring and functionality? Thanks.

bunits19714

forum member
Reaction score
I do not think you will find anyone making a shifter with the select shift option. There is little to no market since most people that race their cars use D and leave it. There would be more of a market for the manuf. to make retro select shifters for 6r80 swaps in to older s197s and new gens.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
I don't have much hope, but thought I'd throw it out there to see if something materialized. As most other 6R80 users, I also leave it in D and stomp the go fast pedal at the track. I was just looking for something that would be a bit more aggressive looking in the car as well as maybe add some fun on the street. Preferably something that would replace the pathetic select-a-shift with a more conventional shifter that would give me back some actual manual shifting motion like that which was available in the 11/12 models. I hate push button, paddle shifting crap. But I am les a fan of the back end of the 11/12 GT. So it was either hate the exterior looks and have a more conventional auto shifter or get something more pleasing externally to my eye with a more nerd-like (I can say nerd without offending right?) select-a-shift option. I chose the latter.

Last edited:

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
There's a thread in the 2011-14 section where someone added paddle shifters.

A manual shift style option is what I am seeking. It appears I will have to go to the 4R70 direction or some other auto option to obtain that function I desire. No big deal.

Last edited:

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The 6R80 is completely computer controlled. Even that trick TCI shifter just moves the gear selector.

Are you looking for a manual valvebody?

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
The 6R80 is completely computer controlled. Even that trick TCI shifter just moves the gear selector.

Are you looking for a manual valvebody?

Not at this time. Electronic assisted shifting is great. I have little quam with it other than I prefer having a shifter I am manually moving in my hand vice a stupid little push-button or some paddle on a steering wheel for manual shifting of an automatic transmission. I was just hoping some genius may have found a way to cleanly ad the 11/12 TCI shifter (for the 6R80) or even the stock 11/12 GT auto shifter into the 13/14 GT setup and make it work.

It's just a matter of personal preference of moving a shift lever vice clicking a button or paddle. I'm a little homesick for my 13 GT manual with the MGW and white ball shift knob.........until I find myself in stop/go traffic.

I'm just having a nostalgic moment. LOL!

ParkRNDL

Reaction score
Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I've been looking for information on this for almost a year now.

I have a 2014 base V6 convertible, and I love just about everything about it except:

1. the base radio for which there is no affordable upgrade
2. that janky little rocker switch on the shifter

After reading this thread, do I understand correctly that the 6R80 is completely digitally controlled with no mechanical connection to the shifter? No shaft coming out of the transmission connected to the shifter via a rod or cable? If so, I can't believe that there's no way to reprogram it to use a 2011-2012 shifter or something from the aftermarket.

Anyway, I'm with you, redfirepearlGT... I really miss having something mechanical to change gears with, even if it's an old-school non-high-performance T-handle...

MGT2009

forum member
Reaction score
Are you using the baumann controller? Its pretty easy to get the select shift 13/14 shifter to work with the baumann controller. Just a matter of buying a pigtail from ford and hooking up 3 wires.

MGT2009

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I've been looking for information on this for almost a year now.

I have a 2014 base V6 convertible, and I love just about everything about it except:

1. the base radio for which there is no affordable upgrade
2. that janky little rocker switch on the shifter

After reading this thread, do I understand correctly that the 6R80 is completely digitally controlled with no mechanical connection to the shifter? No shaft coming out of the transmission connected to the shifter via a rod or cable? If so, I can't believe that there's no way to reprogram it to use a 2011-2012 shifter or something from the aftermarket.

Anyway, I'm with you, redfirepearlGT... I really miss having something mechanical to change gears with, even if it's an old-school non-high-performance T-handle...

There is a shifter lever that hooks up to a cable on the factory shifter.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back