Engine Noise

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
Have had an odd noise on my '14 GT that is most prominent when the ambient temperatures are upper 80's or higher. When its cooler, the noise can not be replicated at idle or any rpm without load. When driving, the noise can be heard if its bouncing off a jersey wall or another vehicle while light throttle is applied. It does it with and without the AC running, however, it is more prominent with the AC running. It does it with and without the clutch engaged. I've used a mechanics stethoscope and noted the noise to be loudest at two points, one being the oil pan and the other being the clutch bell-housing with the oil pan being ever so slightly more noticeable than the bell-housing. The noise is loudest on the drivers side compared to the passenger side. There does not appear to be any consistency or rhythmic pulsing with the noise.

The engine runs fine and makes power throughout the RPM band. The noise disappears while sitting still and slowly increasing the RPM past 1600-1700. The noise is present under light throttle with load and either stops or is drowned out when moderate or full throttle is applied. I've run 6-7 autocross events this year and the engine has performed flawlessly the entire time.

I've had it at the dealership and they can not replicate the sound. Primarily because they don't get the engine hot enough or wait until the hottest part of the day to perform their diagnostic tests.

The engine has ~11,500 miles with a Steeda CAI, Steeda tune and Borla axle backs. Other than these items, the 5.0 is stock. I've had oil analysis performed with each oil change and nothing unusual shows up on the reports.

The noise sounds like the discharge from a piezo-electric igniter on a gas grill. It was hot enough today that I was able to capture the noise after the drive home from work.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-9Z42L6B/0/c0c68672/1920/i-9Z42L6B-1920.mp4

Any ideas or things to look for/check?

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
I can't view the video now, but is it the infamous Coyote tick that you are describing?

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
That is wild. Sounds just like you described. Maybe get it in a dark garage when this occurs and see if you can spy an arc flash taking place. That might at least let you know if you are chasing an electrical phenomenon or not. You've got me curious as well being I have a 14 with about the same mileage as well.

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
Just watched the video. There are many posts about this, and various solutions fix it. The most recent one I found was a person had his motor begin knocking, but it had already been ticking for a long time. Dealer said it would be 10k+ for a new motor (he had over 100k on motor). He didn't bother with a new motor, but when he went to pick it up, the service advisor told him it could be something with the rods. He took the car home, pulled the rods apart, found a ruined bearing on one, and the rest were fine. He replaced the bad bearing and the tick disappeared.

Now Ford has issued multiple repair processes to chase the tick, from pulleys to oil used, various other tactics. Some work, and some don't. Most people just end up getting a new engine if they can get Ford to cover it under warranty. Mine had the tick, ever since I bought it with 7k miles. However, my engine ended up locking up anyways :/.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Sounds like the coyote tick to me. My fiances brother had a '14 that did it the same way - really bad with AC on and still noticeable with it off, but not as bad. Just replied to your PM.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back