Mutha Thumpr cam

Metallicats

forum member
Reaction score
I everyone,i know you see a lot of post for cam,but i never see the right answer for me(sorry).It's the first time i write on this site,I'm from Montreal Canada and we don't see a lot of s197 with cam(it's not a popular modification)This spring I put a Vortech V3 water/methanol injection and i like the sound of rough idle of a Mutha Thumpr cam.I dont do that for more HP(but it's ok if it done)but i dont want problem with that to.It's possible to put this cam or i forget that???What do you suggest to me ????? (sorry for my english)

My mods are :Vortech V3 non intercooled at 8 psi,water/methanol injection,anderson power pipe,New Ford Racing 62mm throttle body,Steeda charge motion plate,Coil pack Granatelli.Heads stock,engine stock

SOHC46

Superman
Reaction score
I don't believe those cams are best suited for supercharged applications. They will work though. The overlap on those cams (what makes the rough idle) will probably bleed off some boost from your supercharger, hurting performance a little. It sounds like you are wanting the Mutha Thumpers more for sound than performance though. If you like the sound, and you dont mind your performance hurt a little, then by all means get them. If you are looking for performance I suggest you look at a cam specifically designed for supercharger applications.

Hope this helps.

yellowjohn1

forum member
Reaction score
Pretty much what he said above. You will probably lose some power over your stock cams through the total power curve, with possible exception of the very top of your rpm range. A lot of people can't get past the low end driveabililty changes with these cams also. Is your car a daily driver? Do you do a lot of driving in congested traffic? If so, you might not like these cams after a little bit.

FORDIFIED3V281

THE HITMAN
Reaction score
i have the thumpers in my car and then added the 2200 after and have no regrets, it did make it a little tricky to tune but i also was using a C&L meter with a HPX sensor i believe the stock pulley on it rates it at 9-10lbs. i am at 9lbs with full exhaust.i wont tell you what it made because i dont have track times to back it up LOL i am thinking about using the stock senser and a MAFia to get better everyday driving

Last edited:

JA BoostedSTANG

forum member
Reaction score
i installed the comp big mutha thumprs which are the stage 3's and even more aggresive then the mutha thumprs and I picked up about 45whp and 55tq, my tuner said he has had pretty good luck with the mutha thumprs and big mutha thumprs with s/c applications, heres a sound clip, and yea its kind of hard to drive but well worth it as i dont drive it often and sounds awesome.

Metallicats

forum member
Reaction score
WOW........IT's a rough idle like what I want,but on compcam.com,it tell that we need ported head ???????? Do you put the cam right there or you need some part to match with the cam ????

JA BoostedSTANG

forum member
Reaction score
WOW........IT's a rough idle like what I want,but on compcam.com,it tell that we need ported head ???????? Do you put the cam right there or you need some part to match with the cam ????
you have to have the phasers or youll bend a valve but no i talked to comp and the reason they recomend ported heads is for big hp increases like 60+whp increases but im like you i wanted a really rough idle and just some extra power now it will make your car way way louder if you have no cats like i do its pretty insane pisses a lot of people off in the neighborhood when its cold started.:thumb2:

FORDIFIED3V281

THE HITMAN
Reaction score
you have to have the phasers or youll bend a valve but no i talked to comp and the reason they recomend ported heads is for big hp increases like 60+whp increases but im like you i wanted a really rough idle and just some extra power now it will make your car way way louder if you have no cats like i do its pretty insane pisses a lot of people off in the neighborhood when its cold started.:thumb2:
ha ha you hit that on the money, my neighbors shake there heads when i am leaving the house and i am sure they really hate it when i am coming home at 3am

circusboy

forum member
Reaction score
I was running these cams when I was N/A. I loved them. I made the swap to FI and they went as part of my deal. I did manage to make a couple of pulls with the cams and the 67 mm Turbo, but was on stock regapped plugs and overly safe tune. The cams made great power, and to my surprise, didn't bleed off any boost. The one consistant thing I can say about the Mutha Thumpers in N/A or FI applications is that they made HP all the way to the set REV limit. The torque numbers were not very impressive with these cams, but made HP for days. Hope this helps and good luck

'stangdude

Reaction score
i installed the comp big mutha thumprs which are the stage 3's and even more aggresive then the mutha thumprs and I picked up about 45whp and 55tq, my tuner said he has had pretty good luck with the mutha thumprs and big mutha thumprs with s/c applications, heres a sound clip, and yea its kind of hard to drive but well worth it as i dont drive it often and sounds awesome.

I know this is an old thread, but I have not come across many people who have the big mutha thumpr's by comp cams. I am looking into them myself but it is a toss up between the mutha thumprs (stage II) and the big m thumprs (stage III). Would you happen to have another sound clip of them by any chance? the one you posted above was not working for some reason.
It would be much appreciated!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back