Efficient Enough Heat Exchanger?

sdmackin1992

Reaction score
To get the most accurate/ educated answer I will provide some details about my car, I have a 06 Mustang GT with the following mods:

JBA LT's w/ High Flow Catted H Pipe
FRPP Hot Cams
JLT CAI
This set up dyno'd at 338RWHP.

Not long ago I ran across a partial Magnuson Supercharger Kit which came with the following:
Eaton M112 Polished Blower
Intake Manifold
Belts
Intercooler

After doing some reading on this forum it appears that Magnuson is not the preferred brand, but I was able to pick it up at a good price. I am currently trying to piece together the rest of the parts I need to be able to install this kit, but it is proving to be a small challenge as these kits are no longer produced.

I recently purchased an 09 GT500 Heat Exchanger, but I am wondering if it will be efficient enough for my set up. I have read that the 2013 GT500 heat exchangers are much larger and as a result are more efficient/ effective at reducing IAT's. I understand that bigger is always better, but I plan to primarily use this car on the streets and not at the track. I don't have plans to swap the blower anytime soon and don't plan on running more than 7-9 PSI of boost. Given my intended use/ goals for the car would I benefit from purchasing the larger (much more expensive) heat exchanger? Also would it help if I ran the newer 2013 GT500 Intercooler Pump to help move the coolant quicker? Any help is greatly appreciated and I look forward to being educated!

07 Boss

Reaction score
Heat is always the enemy. Getting things as cool as possible will always be the best. But I couldn't tell you which one has better cooling capacity. Better flow and larger heat exchangers will both help. How big of a difference, I don;t know. There is a good write up somewhere, dept. of boost, about this. It is well written and informative if you can find it.

Not sure if this goes in the tech section either.

sdmackin1992

Reaction score
07 Boss

Thanks for the reply, I have combed through DOB's website and couldn't come up with anything that directly addressed my set up. I thought asking folks in this group might be a good resource, but I am completely open to the idea that I posted this question in the wrong section, though this seemed to be the only section I could find that made sense to me. I am curious to see if others with a similar set up might be able to comment on how much of a benefit the larger heat exchanger is, obviously it would help, but is it worth the substantial cost?

This thread has been moved to the "Chit-Chat" section since it appears it is a more appropriate area for this type of question, but I am not sure how to delete this thread.

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Don’t duplicate threads.

Read up posts by Department or Boost. He’s written up Long pieces on this topic.

sdmackin1992

Reaction score
Thanks for the help, I apologize for placing my thread in the incorrect section. I thought I was helping by moving it, I have since found the rules/ outlines for each section. Sorry again for my mistake and I will work on doing better searches on the forum since I found the "Advanced Search" function.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back