Scraping noise

Sparsh0

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm brand new to the forum. I just bought a 4.0L 2008 manual and I'm hearing a kind of scraping noise now. Sounds like it's maybe a throwout bearing/slave cylinder. Gonna get it checked out this week. Any recommendations for a new clutch kit if that's the case? Probably just get it all replaced if they're gonna be in there already.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
Need more info. Where is it coming from? Does pressing on the brake or clutch pedal change it? Is it speed dependant?

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Ditto, need a little more info. How many miles?

My clutch in the 4.0 made it to 106000 before it started to slip. There wasnt many clutch options as I recall. A stock clutch is pretty cheap on Rockauto. Exedy also makes a clutch for the 4.0. I have NO experience with either.

I'm running a Dorman replacement slave cyl, and it is working fine ~6K miles.

Sparsh0

Reaction score
It sounds like it's coming from where the clutch would be (under the shifter and a bit forward). It does it when driving or in neutral if the clutch pedal is up and when I push down it gets quieter to where it's almost gone.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
It sounds like it's coming from where the clutch would be (under the shifter and a bit forward). It does it when driving or in neutral if the clutch pedal is up and when I push down it gets quieter to where it's almost gone.

Based on that description it is Throwout Bearing/Slave Cylinder most liekly

Sparsh0

Reaction score
That's my nest guess without looking at it. I don't have a transmission jack or a way to drop it out of the car so I'm gonna take this one in. If that is the case would you have a recommendation on clutch kits? Since they'll be in there I may as well replace the clutch and everything too right?

Mirage

Reaction score
I agree with everyone else, from your description I would say the throw out bearing is shot. Yes, as long as you have the trans out, I'd put a new clutch plate, pressure plate and pilot bushing in it as well. Also inspect the flywheel, have it machined or replaced if needed. As far as brands of clutches, there are several options out there, but a better question to get you better answers would be, what do you intend to do with it? Is this for your daily driver? Track car? Street racer?

Just my 2 cents. Have a great day!

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Does this noise go away above ~2000 rpms?

The reason I ask is I also noticed a noise coming from the same area (when it was still a V6) as you describe. I would hear it in neutral stopped at a light. IF I pushed the clutch in, the noise would stop as the gears in the trans spun down and stopped. I would also hear it (most noticable in 4th gear) under 2000 rpms. I thought it was just miles on my transmission and maybe a bearing going bad. It didn't seem to hurt anything, so I kept on driving the car.

I changed the trans fluid to Royal purple, and I noticed NO difference.

Fast forward to now, and my Brand NEW tremec has the same noise. Stopped idling in neutral OR driving under 2000 rpms. It is gear rattle. A thicker trans fluid may quiet it down, but Tremec says "Dexron III" fluid only.

Back in the toploader days, it was Gear Oil in the gearbox. LOL

Last edited:

Sparsh0

Reaction score
It's my daily driver but I am planning on getting some more power out of it over the life of the car. Possibly as far as adding a supercharger next year. So I don't need a drag racing clutch but definitely something that would handle more power than the stock clutch.

Sparsh0

Reaction score
Does this noise go away above ~2000 rpms?

The reason I ask is I also noticed a noise coming from the same area (when it was still a V6) as you describe. I would hear it in neutral stopped at a light. IF I pushed the clutch in, the noise would stop as the gears in the trans spun down and stopped. I would also hear it (most noticable in 4th gear) under 2000 rpms. I thought it was just miles on my transmission and maybe a bearing going bad. It didn't seem to hurt anything, so I kept on driving the car.

I changed the trans fluid to Royal purple, and I noticed NO difference.

Fast forward to now, and my Brand NEW tremec has the same noise. Stopped idling in neutral OR driving under 2000 rpms. It is gear rattle. A thicker trans fluid may quiet it down, but Tremec says "Dexron III" fluid only.

Back in the toploader days, it was Gear Oil in the gearbox. LOL

I don't notice it unless it's really low rpm or idling. But it really doesn't sound like a rattle, it truly seems like the clutch isn't getting enough lift off from the flywheel. Car drives fine and pulls like normal just sounds bad at idle to just over 1500 or 2k rpms

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I don't notice it unless it's really low rpm or idling. But it really doesn't sound like a rattle, it truly seems like the clutch isn't getting enough lift off from the flywheel. Car drives fine and pulls like normal just sounds bad at idle to just over 1500 or 2k rpms

How many miles have you owned the stang?

Drive it some more, and see if it gets worse. I would hate to see you put time and money into a clutch and slave/throwout bearing replacement and still have the same noise.

I replaced my engine, flywheel, clutch, slave cyl, and trans. I still have a very similiar noise.

Sparsh0

Reaction score
How many miles have you owned the stang?

Drive it some more, and see if it gets worse. I would hate to see you put time and money into a clutch and slave/throwout bearing replacement and still have the same noise.

I replaced my engine, flywheel, clutch, slave cyl, and trans. I still have a very similiar noise.

Only had it a week :( it wasn't making the sound until like 3 days after I got it and I havnt even been able to get on it yet because I don't wanna destroy it . I've probably put somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 miles on it. The car itself just broke 40k

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Only had it a week :( it wasn't making the sound until like 3 days after I got it and I havnt even been able to get on it yet because I don't wanna destroy it . I've probably put somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 miles on it. The car itself just broke 40k

I didn't notice the noise on mine right away either. Bought the car with 52K. The noise remained the same till the clutch started to slip @106K.

Check this out http://s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132541

Without actually hearing yours first hand, I can't say for sure. But it sounds like the same noise I have/had.

Last edited:

Sparsh0

Reaction score
Well I figured it out finally. The dealership put a new clutch in before I bought it. I took it in to get inspected and the dealer put the transmission mount in upside down! Lmao XD

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
That is impossible. One side of the mount has studs that go through a lower brace. The other side has bolt holes that bolts go through to attach to the bottom of the Transmission Tail Shaft

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Maybe the cross member is what he meant was upside down?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back