Gator3-7's Build Thread

Gator3-7

Reaction score
So I was one of those guys who gave modern Mustangs a hard time. I always thought they were very cool but I likened them to a medieval club in a world of scalpels. I always respected the 2011+ cars though because they had pretty good power plants at even better prices. I never thought I'd buy one though, especially not a V6. I wanted a cool car, with a stick, that had lots of modding potential and could get through the 1/4 in the 13s. I ended up with a very rare Saab 9-2x Aero 1,000 miles from home that had been previously modified. I loved it... at first. A very popular Youtube personality and S197 driver reviewed it on my drive home (still 700 miles from home now), and it spun a bearing during the review. I replaced the engine and the turbo and only then did I realize how awful it was to have very little confidence in your daily and simultaneously pour outrageous sums of cash into it.

It was at this point I tried to buy an Ecoboost premium with sport package. That didn't work out. I ended up in a 3.7L '12 base model with the 6 speed. It was great on paper but at first, I didn't really like it that much, and I only viewed it as a stepping stone to the S550 when I could afford it later on. Eventually, I realized how much fun these things could be once you started driving them properly and stopped trying to drive them like an AWD turbo car. At this point I love my crappy little V6 way more than I ever thought I would, so with that, let the mods begin!

This is the day I bought the car. I got a great deal on it and it was even in my home town. It had 40k miles and was fully serviced (being sold at a GMC dealer) and I ended up paying a bit over 15k out the door. I didn't love the ingot silver, nor the basic interior, but I've come to terms with both lol.
newstang_zps7gaa1ldt.jpg

Time to hit the track and get some baseline runs. I did 8 runs I think and by the end of the night I knocked out 2 14.3s in a row, followed by a 14.2, but my GF wanted to leave and she had been very patient with me so I honored that request lol. I'm confident the car had another 1/10th or 2 to give. It was still enough to worry this Roush Stage 2 3V haha. He only got me by about 1/10th (My reaction was .4 better than his)...
StangBaseRace_zpsxkuvdcri.jpg

Finally the "mods" begin. I got custom Boss 302 style gauges because I hate the overly retro design of the standard S197, a pretty standard JVC head unit with the Scosche dash kit, and I attempted to dip the decklid black instead of paying the 50 bucks for a panel. That didn't turn out great if I'm honest...
Phase1_zpshqdjmyaw.jpg

The next round of mods (real mods this time lol) are in the mail now, and I can't wait to see how it turns out!!

Last edited:

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Welcome! Glad you're having fun with it!

Gator3-7

Reaction score
Thanks!

Once I sell my Saabaru (or my brand new Saabaru motor, whichever comes first) I hope to go FI. I'm definitely leaning towards the Procharger kit simply because I feel like it would be the safest bet. I hesitate to advertise my exact plans because I don't want to be that guy who swears he's going to turbocharge his car really soon but never does lol. My ultimate goal would be 450-500 whp but that's a goal, not an expectation haha. Realistically I just want a reliable, fun, and safe daily in the 12s on street tires.

Gator3-7

Reaction score
I kind of jumped the gun and put my next set of mods in my sig lol. I have LCAs and a panhard in the mail, after that it will probably be summer tires.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Put a MGW shifter on your list if you haven't already.

claudermilk

Reaction score
Finally the "mods" begin. I got custom Boss 302 style gauges because I hate the overly retro design of the standard S197, a pretty standard JVC head unit with the Scosche dash kit, and I attempted to dip the decklid black instead of paying the 50 bucks for a panel. That didn't turn out great if I'm honest...
Phase1_zpshqdjmyaw.jpg

How do you like the Scoshe kit? I've been kind of thinking about upgrading the HU in my car & that seems like the nicest of the kits.

These cars have a way of getting under your skin & defying stereotype impressions.

Gator3-7

Reaction score
Put a MGW shifter on your list if you haven't already.
That's definitely on the list, but I bought a set of GT wheels that desperately need tires so I'm afraid that comes first haha. If it wasn't so expensive I would have done it already.

How do you like the Scoshe kit? I've been kind of thinking about upgrading the HU in my car & that seems like the nicest of the kits.

These cars have a way of getting under your skin & defying stereotype impressions.

That they do haha. I definitely like the dash kit but there are a few things to be aware of. It is fairly far down so I wouldn't recommend it if you plan to use it for navigation a lot (the Raxiom kit is the only one that seems to put the screen in the right place) and it makes skipping songs on my head unit an awkward reach. If you have steering wheel controls that won't be a problem though, but I would highly recommend using them. The stock screen up top is only used for outside temperature with the kit though which seems like a bit of a waste of space. When I get a flash tuner I'll probably try to block off half the screen and find a way to mount the tuner over it.

cam101

forum member
Reaction score
Congrats on your first mods. My first mustang was a 2006 V6. I put a pro charger kit on mine. You will definitely get your goal with that kit. good luck and enjoy

Gator3-7

Reaction score
Just a quick update:
I installed the LCAs and Panhard and I love how solid the rear of the car feels now. My 1/4 only improved by a tenth to 14.1, but I wasn't on my best form that night and I imagine the true payoff will come when I start adding power and grip. I sold my beloved CBR600RR (I'm starting to really miss that thing, as my new Ninja 500R feels like a pile of shit in comparison) and I used the money to buy the aforementioned crap bike, a Dynotech 4" Aluminum drive shaft, Blowfish Racing shifter bracket, a full set of Hankook max performance summer tires, a few other little Mustang goodies, and had enough leftover to buy a stock engine and suspension for my Saabaru. I am deeply saddened by the loss of my bike which has likely been crashed by its new owner already, but hopefully it will be a worthy sacrifice.

Last edited:

Shok

forum member
Reaction score
I've always thought the later gen v6 cars were a great bang for the buck, most likely my next daily driver will be a late model v6 convertible. I love my GT tho and will probably mod it like crazy at that point and keep the 6 stock.
The YouTube vid you mention sounds familiar, care to share the link?

Shok

forum member
Reaction score
Ok I was thinking of the /drive "1 take" I recently saw on YouTube with some Saabs.
Sucks how that all worked out.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear with the troubles on the Saabaru, I've always thought the 9-2x was a pretty cool car. I did check out your video on the V70R - again a very neat car. I look forward to seeing what you do with the Mustang.

Gator3-7

Reaction score
Thanks GallopingFord!

I haven't posted in a while so I've got a lot of updating to do!

First, I got a JLT CAI
B4FAF528-5D67-4362-B9B5-BC599C1F3B20_zpsdewfmwdd.jpg

With decent results:
138F8E0F-506E-4EAA-AF2A-E7AFBB1AC1FD_zpsqugsd5bv.jpg

Next, I installed my driveshaft and got a good tune from MPT
7506776A-8EDE-4FAA-8255-61AC3F18E2A0_zpsroqf3rs7.jpg

4C0D36CA-CE54-43D8-A760-061076EE6C51_zpsvlkhkorb.jpg

Which did even better:
F8CC1905-886F-45A6-BD77-CBC07F2403C7_zpsd0p5uoba.jpg

Finally, I did something about my exhaust:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b1KyUKanr0

Not too shabby
F7F501A5-20FD-4658-8380-56CBD7CAC6F6_zpsvxjaryya.jpg

Next step: gears!

Last edited:

Gator3-7

Reaction score

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back