My cam journals and cams are ruined....come see the freak show.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Ask the manufacturer of those cam bearings that probably only fit the 3v what their volume is like.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Thanks. I have had several people refer me to Ray Engine in Tyler. Spoke to Charlie there and he was very familiar with the Dura Bond type fix for OHC engines since virtually no OHC engine runs bearings.

For future reference,
Ray Engine in Tyler Tx
903-531-2336

They work on mod motors all day everyday. From a normal rebuild to high performance. Like the other machine shop I spoke with, Ray Engine does not have the tooling to do the Line Bore on the OHC head- it's such a small bore and needs a smaller tool/machine. They give that work to another guy in town. He specializes in exactly what we are talking about. Fitting bearings into OHC heads. Will update with his info here in a bit.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Who did Charlie send you to, Regal machine or T&k performance? There is one more guy, but I have not used him.

Last edited:

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I would not build a high revving motor. Build an engine using all stock components save for the pistons and rods (I believe Bruce had luck with ebay rods,) probably manley pistons from modmax. Supercharge it. With a DOB system you would be nearly even money vs. buying cams, exhaust, etc. You can use the stock headers and an offroad h.

Good luck!
I know....it just seems like it would be more enjoyable to me vs a blower.....although before this happened I was dead set on a DOB kit. I even have some of the parts stockpiled. A really nice low mileage Eaton M122, gt500 heat exchanger, throttle body, and intake set are in a big tote right now waiting on me to decide......
Put a stock engine in it and spray it to your HP goal. Done.
The cam bearing deal is not common, I would imagine most standard machine shops aren't set up for it.
How much are you looking at spending at this point...I would be after a set of FRPP heads as cheap as they are.
I have never been into spray. But yes considering the FRPP heads. Need to compare costs.
Ask the manufacturer of those cam bearings that probably only fit the 3v what their volume is like.
Probably a good idea. I looked at their catalog and they have several sizes available it looks like. So that is promising. I will ask though, as it would be interesting to know vs their same line for a different OHC engine.
Who did Charlie send you to, Regal machine or T&k performance? There is one more guy, but I have not used him.
Sent me to "casting repair" 903- 592- 7195

Last edited:

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
fun fact: my M90 eaton made more low end power than my 1.9 TVS does at similar boost. I'm expecting it to blow the 90 away when I repulley here... but that 122 would be a great time, I'm sure.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Also, the last test I did, I unplugged the VCTs. It ran great untill in got the rpm up/throttle up and then it was like the cams got stuck in retard and was running bad again did not think that was possible with the VCT unplugged..... Shutting the engine down for a few min would solve the problem VCT unplugged or not.......with this info, what suggestions do you have for me?

We have had situations like that here at the dealer. Once it warms up the lubrication characteristics change. CEL was coming on after the car warmed up. We found that with the Cam Journals damaged Oil Pressure became an issue with the Phasers and VVT. You have to have the correct scan tools to be able to isolate the characteristics like this. With that said, you can try some emory cloth and GENTLY polish. I say Gently because there are no cam bearings. With it being basically a pressed journal if you polish too much oil pressure can/will be changed possibly creating more of an issue.

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
We have had situations like that here at the dealer. Once it warms up the lubrication characteristics change. CEL was coming on after the car warmed up. We found that with the Cam Journals damaged Oil Pressure became an issue with the Phasers and VVT. You have to have the correct scan tools to be able to isolate the characteristics like this. With that said, you can try some emory cloth and GENTLY polish. I say Gently because there are no cam bearings. With it being basically a pressed journal if you polish too much oil pressure can/will be changed possibly creating more of an issue.
Yes indeed, my VCT issue would happen once the engine was warm, thus lowering the overall oil pressure to the point VCT was not able to work correctly. Especially since the oil pressure in the heads is half of the base oil pressure.

So you are suggesting I can polish the journals lightly and that will restore some oil pressure in the top end so the VCT works correctly? Do I have your take on it correct?

Thanks for the information, quite interesting and something to think about.
I am in the process of talking to a shop that fits bearings into OHC heads for specific issues like what happened to mine.

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Who votes I polish the journals myself, and refill oil with 10w40?

SVT Rider

Reaction score

Get a oil pressure gauge to take before and after readings is my vote if you decide to go down this route. I ran 10W30 when I had my low oil pressure concerns last year and it helped get higher pressures until I could replace the pump and the timing tensions, but it is only a band-aid to get the higher pressure IMHO.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score

Given the miles on that motor that might not be a bad idea, what do you have to lose other than some time? It's already messed up, worst case you screw it up more, then you can still install the cam bearings to fix it. On the other hand it just might work along with some heavier weight oil and buy you some time so you can properly build a new motor while still enjoying your car.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
To me that's a lot of effort for a 200k mile lump.
It needs a timing chain update (the tensioners and guides are worn if they are original) as well as the fact that it was bad enough for you to have to pull it down...already fucked up.
It may still need VCT repairs as well.

deebo05

forum member
Reaction score
These 3v motors have a tendency to wipe out the thrust bearing at high mile......just something to think about also, you might be throwing money at a lost cause.

46addict

Reaction score
You could install a used long block in running condition and get the car driving again while you overhaul the current setup. However way you look at it, it's motor build/replacement time. Everything else seems like a temporary fix.

Another option is picking up used heads and cams but you are left with questionable timing components. For the cost of the timing kit, lash adjusters, and head changing kit with takeoff heads, you are back to used long block territory in terms of cost.

Last edited:

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Yes indeed, my VCT issue would happen once the engine was warm, thus lowering the overall oil pressure to the point VCT was not able to work correctly. Especially since the oil pressure in the heads is half of the base oil pressure.

So you are suggesting I can polish the journals lightly and that will restore some oil pressure in the top end so the VCT works correctly? Do I have your take on it correct?

Thanks for the information, quite interesting and something to think about.
I am in the process of talking to a shop that fits bearings into OHC heads for specific issues like what happened to mine.

I have seen it work and seen it not work. Really depends on the severity of the scratches on the journals in the head. The cam itself might be a different situation though.

Not the recommended fix but if it allows you to drive while possibly building another engine........

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
To me that's a lot of effort for a 200k mile lump.
It needs a timing chain update (the tensioners and guides are worn if they are original) as well as the fact that it was bad enough for you to have to pull it down...already fucked up.
It may still need VCT repairs as well.
Spot on, not sure If I mentioned this in the thread, but I picked up a great low mileage 2004 Civic for 3k on Tuesday to get me by.....that way I can take my time and do everything exactly how I want it done.
These 3v motors have a tendency to wipe out the thrust bearing at high mile......just something to think about also, you might be throwing money at a lost cause.
Could a wiped crank thrust bearing damage the block beyond machine shop repair? ( without any terrible symptoms...I detected no bottom end sounds or issues at the time) I will see when I pull the engine soon.
You could install a used long block in running condition and get the car driving again while you overhaul the current setup. However way you look at it, it's motor build/replacement time. Everything else seems like a temporary fix.

Another option is picking up used heads and cams but you are left with questionable timing components. For the cost of the timing kit, lash adjusters, and head changing kit with takeoff heads, you are back to used long block territory in terms of cost.
Good ideas, I have time now to pull the engine and see the extent of damage up and bottom end. A used engine might make a lot of sense for my current goals.
I have seen it work and seen it not work. Really depends on the severity of the scratches on the journals in the head. The cam itself might be a different situation though.

Not the recommended fix but if it allows you to drive while possibly building another engine........
Since I have a daily now, I can take my time! I am going to take a good hard look at the journals and see. If not or I decide to start a propped build I am hopefully going to pull the heads this weekend, possibly the entire engine and start an auto- topsy.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
The cam journals!

Huh... the journal is the cam, may just want to take it to a machine shop, I wonder if they'd be able to polish it. Make sure to polish opposite the direction of rotation! ;)

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Huh... the journal is the cam, may just want to take it to a machine shop, I wonder if they'd be able to polish it. Make sure to polish opposite the direction of rotation! ;)
The journal is the cam? Am I using the wrong terminology? Also thanks for the on polish direction. They will most likely going to that machine shop that specializes in fitting the bearings/ making the repair. I hope he knows that, I will find out.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back