Where to get remanufactured 5r55s ? Good trans change write up?

stv_huff

Stock
Reaction score
My transmission sounds have been getting worse. I'd like to get a head start and order a transmission from a reputable source w/o sending in a core. The car will never be over 500 hp so I'm looking for a budget remanufactured trans. I am also looking for a quality write up with photos explaining the process of replacing the transmission because I would like to tackle the task myself. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated. <3

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have never read a good thing about the 5R55S that didn't look like a paid advertisement for some part to make them not suck.

How much are you willing to spend? It may be worth considering a different transmission. For a budget I would consider a 4R70W 4 speed with a stand alone controller.

Or it may be worth having a few specific things "fixed" during your rebuild. I would do some research into what commonly fails and address them. May be easier to have a local shop rebuild yours with quality parts and upgrades.

IN addition to the rebuild....
Aluminum oil pan (more capacity)
Big fluid cooler (heat kills cooler cool)
Shift kit AND a tune to make it work right
Convertor
300M Input Shaft

That's just to get started IMO.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I would never rebuild a 5R55S to stock specs or run a stock remanufactured one. I'm on my third, and only because I had to. The situation at the time of the last failure, which was a $3K "bulletproof" Level 10 unit, prevented me from going in a different direction.

Listen to tjm and research what companies are doing to improve these things and have a local shop do them. Servo bores, solenoid packs, good eagle red or blue bands, etc. Or look at alternative units like the 4R70 or 4L80E.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I would only consider a 4R or 6R conversion.

stv_huff

Stock
Reaction score
I would only consider a 4R or 6R conversion.

Over a remanufactured? Conversions make me nervous but I'll start looking into that. It just sounds expensive.

Found an online place that sells them for $1870 to my shop with 3 year unlimited mile warranty.

"-Remanufactured pump, with new line bore bushings to eliminate leaks and provide superior flow and durability.
-Remanufactured valve body, with complete system correction and recalibration kit, improves pressure control and shift quality.
-Remanufactured and improved torque converter tested for leaks, concentricity, and balance. Upgrades exceed OE requirements and eliminate the possibilities of front seal leaks, premature bushing wear, and vibration.
-All new, bushings installed in key locations to improve internal fluid flow control and fluid pressures.
-Complete system correction and recalibration kit installed to address several OE flaws. Modifications include updates to servos, the PR system, and valve body accumulators.
-Heavy-duty recalibration kit installed to reduce slippage and increase durability.
-Complete road simulation using a dynamometer testing program called C.A.R.S. (Computer Aided Road Simulation). Every transmission is cold and hot tested before shipment."

Larger pan and cooler absolutely.

groundpounder

forum member
Reaction score
Have you googled that company to see what kind of rep they have. Anybody can write a nice product description that makes their product sound better than it is or better than the competition. Is there a 5r55 guru out there? Kinda like how Paul Caganialosi @ 5speeds.com is to manual transmissions? If not that might tell you what you need to know about the durability of the units.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have seen several stock rebuilds for more from reputable companies. My bet is that company is skimping someplace. Definitly look into their rep.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back