Can The 6R80 Adapt To The 4.0?

Benwhite911

V6'ing & Dealing With It
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So the 5R55S is not all that back as far as automatics go. However, mine is starting to make some worrisome noises, and actions that are prompting me to be proactive in transmission replacement, instead of reactive at the worst moment. So last week I was in Ft Myers FL, and I rented a 2017 V6 with an automatic. The engine, sorry to say, even with 300 hp, it wasn't much. The 6R80 automatic however, that was quite an interesting and sporty trans. I haven't really heard anything about being able to adapt the 6R80 to the earlier S197's, and I really haven't heard anything about it being put in a 4.0.

So with all of that being said; has anyone heard of anyone who has successfully mated a 6R80, to a 4.0 S197? If no one has heard of anyone doing it, how about an right up's on th3 possibly of it working?

Last edited:

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Ahh Fort Myers, I hope you actually saw some nice parts of Southwest Florida.

I cant find any info on bellhousing pattern but Im sure the 4.0 and 3.7 have the same bolt patterns. Now the other thing to worry about the the transmission controller. Performance Automatic makes a 6r80 stand alone transmission controller but its pricey.

http://www.performanceautomatic.com/news/319/6R80_Controllers_are_Ready!_.html

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I cant find any info on bellhousing pattern but Im sure the 4.0 and 3.7 have the same bolt patterns.

Not the same. The 4.0 Has the "Taunus" pattern. It traces back to Europe. The 3.7 has the Duratec pattern.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Not the same. The 4.0 Has the "Taunus" pattern. It traces back to Europe. The 3.7 has the Duratec pattern.

Thanks for clearing that up. I found some info on bolt patterns grouped together by commonality but the 3.7 wasnt even on the list. Still, op would need an adaptor plate (if one exists, which I doubt) to use it behind his 4.0. Thats the least of his worries though.

Benwhite911

V6'ing & Dealing With It
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It seemed like a good idea in my head. Like most of my hairbrained ideas though, when I start to work them out, dollars start adding up.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
It would be cool indeed but yea its just not worth it unless you're going to track your stang. And even then, like said above, you would have to have a custom bellhousing adapter and possibly modify the controller. If you have like 5 grand to throw away then by all means, it would be cool and I bet that 4.0 would get up and go with the better trans gearing, otherwise don't waste your time.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back