Start fresh engine with no belt (and a TVS?)

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Should be no problem - the rotors should just spin and allow the air past, also, should breathe through the bypass.

I'm dropping my engine in in the next couple of days, just want to fire it and make sure I haven't got any major issues and bad noises before I fill the coolant.

Attachments

• IMG_20171016_220159.jpg
    IMG_20171016_220159.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 6

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
I've fired up a couple centrifugal equipped motors un-belted with no problems. With the bypass open, the compressor didn't even spin, and if it did, it wouldn't hurt anything that I could imagine.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
with no belt on the 1.9 tvs, the rotor will not spin. the bypass just feeds the output ..back to the input side. with no belt and no rotors spinning, even with BPV open, I can't see how any air at all will get through. Well, through the bpv, but dunno if its big enough for this test purpose. My guess is..it will work..at low rpm / idle only.

In normal operation, the BPV just dumps all the pressure. How are u gonna run everything else with no belt...and no coolant ?

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
It'll be fine, I've ran my car numerous time without a belt.

There's no coolant flow till the thermostat opens anyway but you don't wanna let it run long after the block gets up to operating temp as it doesn't take long for it to shoot over 250 at that point with no flow.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I'm not filling the engine until I know it works - I hate dealing with coolant. Just firing it up for a few seconds, make sure I have oil pressure, etc.. then carry on.

LikeabossTM

forum member
Reaction score
Don't know about tvs, but keep it under a minute of run time without belts and it'll be fine heat-wise.

Back