Fuel's Winter Project: Build It Before It Blows

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
Got these in today. Parts are starting to pile up....

photobucket-3266-1357865034965.jpg

Still haven't completely decided on pistons yet. It is either going to be the Mahle Flat Tops or a set of Ross Racing Pistons. The Mahles would be close to 11:1 while the Ross would be 9.8:1.

http://www.cnc-motorsports.com/pist...71f00-forged-flat-top-pistons-3-571-bore.html

http://www.modmaxracing.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ROS99629&CartID=2

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't run Ross or Mahles in a turbo setup, have seen to many problems with them in boosted applications. I would also impart the advice my engine builder gave me about the 3v, you can take it for what it's worth. His advice is that the 3v needs at least a small dish for proper flame travel during combustion. His experiences with 3v's and flat top pistons haven't been good. If you want higher then 9.8
compression ratio with -6.5 dish pistons then run at least a -3 or -4cc dish piston.

Earl

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
I am open to any and all feedback on this. Like I said, I am trying to do a budjet engine, with a stock crank, so not looking for huge power.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I went with my builders recommendation for pistons. I was undecided between the Manley, Diamond and CP pistons. His recommendation was the Manley's with Hellfire rings. He really likes the Manley for applications below 25# of boost. He hasn't had any problems with them in those engines. The Manley's come with the side skirts already coated and were less money then the others would have been.

The new Manley pistons come with a better pin, that was their only weakness, you needed to upgrade the pin's when ordering but I understand they now come standard with the better pins.

Earl

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I may be way out in left field, but without yet doing a lot of research I think I'm leaning toward just buying a shortblock from Ford Racing instead of dumping a bunch of money into labor and machining costs. Supposedly a new 4.6 Aluminator is being released this Spring with a SRP of $4999, which means it can be had cheaper. It may not be good for 1000 HP but I can't afford that many ponies anyway.

I'm enjoying following your build because you're going through many of the same questions I'll be facing once I have the funds to address it.

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
I was looking at those two piston choices as they already come with rings, so the price is a really good deal. Doing research on the forum, there seem to be people that have great luck with the Mahle pistons. They are the piston of choice for SVT, FRPP.

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
I may be way out in left field, but without yet doing a lot of research I think I'm leaning toward just buying a shortblock from Ford Racing instead of dumping a bunch of money into labor and machining costs. Supposedly a new 4.6 Aluminator is being released this Spring with a SRP of $4999, which means it can be had cheaper. It may not be good for 1000 HP but I can't afford that many ponies anyway.

I'm enjoying following your build because you're going through many of the same questions I'll be facing once I have the funds to address it.

I can buy pistons for $600-$900, then rods for just over $400. Machine work, bearings, and shortblock assembly for around $700. I just cant justify spending $5k on a shortblock when I could have a shortblock built and installed for about $2.5-3k.

Like stated above, the FRPP engines come with Mahle pistons, which so many people seems to tear up on. If you do a search you will find posts from BMR, that they run those pistons in a 2v turbo car at 44psi.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you like those then at least go with the Ross it's a 2618 piston. The Mahle piston you're showing is made from 4032 instead of 2618 and I just don't see it doing well in your boosted setup.

Earl

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
Another part came in today. Thanks 19COBRA93

photobucket-4611-1358206404839.jpg

I also made a call to Dale at ModMaxracing today. I believe I have finally settled on which pistons I am going to be using. They stock Diamond Flat Top pistons for the 3v, so that is what I am going to go with. Should be right at or just under 11:1 CR. Now I just need to decide which rings to go with. They carry Moly, SS, and Hellfire rings.

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
You wanna buy my car Bruce? I am losing hope in ever being able to afford having it the way I want it and just can't seem to be happy with it the way it is now.

Last edited:

Mike K

WANNA BE FAST
Reaction score
Step away from it for a little while. I'm feeling the same way about mine but I think it has a lot to do with the snow and not being able to drive it.

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
I havent drove the car since august cause it has been in pieces. Every time i get a plan together to build it something comes up. Not to mention, i am damn tired of fixing my '78 ford i use as a dd so i can keep a "toy" in the garage. Hell, ive even being looking at MMR as an option since they offer layaway.

Last edited:

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
They did say that they will do any cr you want, and the guys over on MM are doing very well with their motors. I am just in one of those moods with the car right now. No matter how bad i want a built motor in it, it just isnt going to happen this year(unless someone wants to donate one to me, lol). I just need to get the car back together and drive the shit out of it to keep me interested in it,

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back