Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I just got this in the hopes of prolonging the life of my stock TracLock:

16215868_large.jpg

Doug M

Fast Cars & Freedom
Reaction score
That's how you do a write up for specific needs. Congrats man!

cmrad

forum member
Reaction score
awesome write up man, love it. Nice job with the car, jealous of your suspension components...oh and those extra two cylinders. lol.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Like the others have said, great write up. Other then the diff cover, what other plans do you have for your car? I run the Steeda Watts link on my car and I think it is one of the best suspension mods I've done. Any plans on getting the Whiteline one?

freddie07

forum member
Reaction score
Very nice write up. Gave me some things to think about reguarding my suspension. Thanks for all the info. Keep up the good work brother.

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
So you called me an idiot for suggesting someone to run low spring rates rates with aftermarket swaybars instead of running high spring rates with stock sways, and then you do exactly that with your car.

That makes sense.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Like the others have said, great write up. Other then the diff cover, what other plans do you have for your car? I run the Steeda Watts link on my car and I think it is one of the best suspension mods I've done. Any plans on getting the Whiteline one?

I haven't decided on what I'm going to do next. A Watts link is a possibility, though it would have to be a differential-mounted one like Whiteline or Cortex because of the sway bars I have.

Very nice write up. Gave me some things to think about reguarding my suspension. Thanks for all the info. Keep up the good work brother.

Thanks! There is a LOT of good info on this forum, especially over in the corner-carver section. And you can always PM me or one of the other guys for info, too!

So you called me an idiot for suggesting someone to run low spring rates rates with aftermarket swaybars instead of running high spring rates with stock sways, and then you do exactly that with your car.

That makes sense.

I never called you an idiot. I pointed out that you were incorrect in saying that your suspension is working correctly if you lift a wheel while going through a turn. Regardless, I am running stiffer springs with stiffer sway bars.

Now go troll someone else's thread.

Last edited:

LAStang1234

----------DSL----------
Reaction score
Nice job Vince!! Your doing a great job documenting and getting photos of everything!! Keep it going.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I asked Dave to move my build thread here to the Corner Carvers' section. It has some useful tech for installing suspension components.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
I love seeing everybody's approach, nobody does it the same! Nice writeups, cool pictures, and nice Excel-ing.

So...how's street mod treating you?

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't generally autocross with SCCA, because I feel their class rules are asinine. (Example: why do relocation or anti-squat brackets, one of the first mods most S197 owners perform, send you straight to Street Mod? Yet I can modify the third link's mounting location? WTF?)

I also lack the resources and talent to be nationally competitive. So when I do go to an SCCA event (or one that uses SCCA classes), I usually get stuck in ESP or SM, or I tell them to just put me in as "non competition."

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
I don't generally autocross with SCCA, because I feel their class rules are asinine. (Example: why do relocation or anti-squat brackets, one of the first mods most S197 owners perform, send you straight to Street Mod? Yet I can modify the third link's mounting location? WTF?)

I also lack the resources and talent to be nationally competitive. So when I do go to an SCCA event (or one that uses SCCA classes), I usually get stuck in ESP or SM, or I tell them to just put me in as "non competition."

You CAN'T change the CHASSIS side of the UCA mounting position in any class until CP. you can change the AXLE side of the UCA in ST, SP and SM per a rule designed to allow Fox/SN95 cars to be more competitive (allows the Steeda 5 link) since the Torque Arm rule is so screwed up.

I don't know why they are not allowed but someone at some time thought it was a bad idea and made the cars overdoggish. I imagine it has to do with fear of the Pony cars dominating the Pro-Solos with the drag race start... of course AWD seems to be the only ones they are "comfortable" accepting the unfair advantage when it comes to launching.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You CAN'T change the CHASSIS side of the UCA mounting position in any class until CP. you can change the AXLE side of the UCA in ST, SP and SM per a rule designed to allow Fox/SN95 cars to be more competitive (allows the Steeda 5 link) since the Torque Arm rule is so screwed up.

I don't know why they are not allowed but someone at some time thought it was a bad idea and made the cars overdoggish. I imagine it has to do with fear of the Pony cars dominating the Pro-Solos with the drag race start... of course AWD seems to be the only ones they are "comfortable" accepting the unfair advantage when it comes to launching.

Yep, that right there, in my opinion, is an example of asinine class rules. I still autocross at some SCCA-rule events, I just simply don't care about what class I'm put in. I believe my anti-squat brackets and 285 tires technically place me in Street Mod.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Yep, that right there, in my opinion, is an example of asinine class rules. I still autocross at some SCCA-rule events, I just simply don't care about what class I'm put in. I believe my anti-squat brackets and 285 tires technically place me in Street Mod.

Yup. I hate the rules too...but they're the biggest game in town.

Your street mod parts:
-Diff Cover
-Lower control arms
-Anti-squat brackets

The wheels alone put you in ESP, no matter what tires you have.

Regardless of all that crap though, I like your setup. All of your components seem to be "matched," no one thing looks like it is unable to be supported by the rest of your mods.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Regardless of all that crap though, I like your setup. All of your components seem to be "matched," no one thing looks like it is unable to be supported by the rest of your mods.

Thank you. I am big on this, because I'm an engineer. Modifications, for the most part, cannot be done in a vacuum. As an example, lowering the rear messes with the suspension geometry. Stiffer springs require stiffer dampers. Adjustable panhards or Watts linkages re-center the axle, brackets fix the lower trailing arm geometry, and adjustable third links (or CV-equipped driveshafts) fix pinion angle. (I still need to do that last part.)

I'm slowly accumulating parts for another round of mods aimed at improving reliability and MTBF.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back