Need pics of electric water heater hookups

mfergel

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I've got new electrical being routed and am relocating my water heater to a different part of the home. Can some of you show me exactly how you've got your electrical coming in through the wall to the water heater? My electrician said most people just cut a hole in the drywall and run the wire through the hole to the water heater, but that seems a bit unclean (ie. Not very attractive). Would like to see some examples as my water heater will be exposed in the laundry room.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Can you use a plug similar to a dryer plugin? Cut hole, put that in wall, and wire heater up with plug that goes with outlet?
Would look a hell of a lot better if someone actually looked at it

mfergel

forum member
Reaction score
Can you use a plug similar to a dryer plugin? Cut hole, put that in wall, and wire heater up with plug that goes with outlet?
Would look a hell of a lot better if someone actually looked at it

I'd agree and I thought about that but I'm not sure that would be compliant with code. Would certainly seem like the best option too me but want to make sure I do it right since I'll probably rent the home/sell it in the near future.

The old one has a junction box with the wiring coming from that. That may be the way I have to do it again.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Yea I can't using a dryer plug for high voltage would be any worse than directly wired.
But I'm not an electrician. Just an idiot with a voltmeter. Lol

SNAKE08

forum member
Reaction score
Have your electrician install a switch box(use it as a j-box) then you can get a cover for it with a 1/2 or 3/4 knock out. From there you can run bx with proper size wire to the water heater. Your electrician will know what this is.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Last edited:

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
mount this to the wall with the wire coming in through the back, then run a bx from there to the water heater

050169002322lg.jpg

mfergel

forum member
Reaction score
Have your electrician install a switch box(use it as a j-box) then you can get a cover for it with a 1/2 or 3/4 knock out. From there you can run bx with proper size wire to the water heater. Your electrician will know what this is.

Hope this helps.

Mark

mount this to the wall with the wire coming in through the back, then run a bx from there to the water heater

050169002322lg.jpg

Yeah, I'm guessing that's probably what I'm going to have to do with it. Thanks guys.

cop on my back

forum member
Reaction score
Never heard of a HW tank plugged in. I know for Canada that would be against all electrical codes. Just a BX (armored) cable from a box is what you need. Its not like the tank is s show piece in the middle of the living room.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back