Who Has Used Mother's Back-to-Black Aerosol?

Candy10

forum member
Reaction score
Just looking for reviews on the stuff from those who have tried it. If it gets on paint or glass, does it leave a residue? Does it attract extra dust and dirt once dry?

Something has to be done about my faded, almost 7-year-old trim.

themoose06

forum member
Reaction score
try meguairs black restore, its a non spray cream that you apply. no experience with that, but i'd stay away from glass

'14StangGT

forum member
Reaction score
I've used Chemical Guys "Black forever Trim and Tire shine" and noticed it lasted through several washes. It's a thicker gel, and a little dab will do ya.

If you try Mothers- let us know how it works out !

spectreman

forum member
Reaction score
I use the basic Mother's Back-to-Black liquid and it works pretty well. Holds the color for a few weeks. No experience w/the spray on stuff.
Lee

spectreman

forum member
Reaction score
I tried this last week: Rustoleum Trim and Bumper Paint

I'm guessing I'm not the only one to hit a curb/bump stop. Scuffed up the black splitter of the '09 GT500. Couldn't get the marks off- tried 0000 steel wool (don't do that as it goes down thru the black), then tried a simple Sharpie black marker but that didn't cover it and then resorted to some leftover flat black Rustoleum I had laying around. That worked better but the paint was too thin and the color didn't match. Off to Home Depot.

HD has lots of colors in spray on Rustoleum. I was torn between a semi-gloss black and the trim & bumper paint, but chose the latter.

AU_TrimBumper_Blk_251574_11oz_L.ashx

Once home, I prepped the piece per the instructions on the can (& while still on the car), taped it all up and shot it w/3 light, quick moving layers. The paint worked amazingly well, dried quickly & covered all the obvious damage. It is a touch glossier than what was but looks pretty good overall.

Originally, I was going to pull the piece off and paint if off the car, that is, until I saw how many damn screws hold that piece on. Tape it up sufficiently w/painter's tape and you'll be fine. If you're tech-tarded, like I am, this is a job for a simpleton so don't be scared. You end up w/a piece that looks renewed.
Lee

Candy10

forum member
Reaction score
I tried this last week: Rustoleum Trim and Bumper Paint

I'm guessing I'm not the only one to hit a curb/bump stop. Scuffed up the black splitter of the '09 GT500. Couldn't get the marks off- tried 0000 steel wool (don't do that as it goes down thru the black), then tried a simple Sharpie black marker but that didn't cover it and then resorted to some leftover flat black Rustoleum I had laying around. That worked better but the paint was too thin and the color didn't match. Off to Home Depot.

HD has lots of colors in spray on Rustoleum. I was torn between a semi-gloss black and the trim & bumper paint, but chose the latter.

AU_TrimBumper_Blk_251574_11oz_L.ashx

Once home, I prepped the piece per the instructions on the can (& while still on the car), taped it all up and shot it w/3 light, quick moving layers. The paint worked amazingly well, dried quickly & covered all the obvious damage. It is a touch glossier than what was but looks pretty good overall.

Originally, I was going to pull the piece off and paint if off the car, that is, until I saw how many damn screws hold that piece on. Tape it up sufficiently w/painter's tape and you'll be fine. If you're tech-tarded, like I am, this is a job for a simpleton so don't be scared. You end up w/a piece that looks renewed.
Lee

Thanks for giving me another option, was considering body color match. This may be better.

Haven't tried the Back to Black yet, for anyone waiting on a review. Priorities.

D1984

forum member
Reaction score
I used it and got it on my windshield by accident. It dried and left a residue, however that was easy to remove with 91% isopropyl alcohol (bought it in a spray bottle at Rite Aid). The gel stuff works a lot better.

Candy10

forum member
Reaction score
I used it and got it on my windshield by accident. It dried and left a residue, however that was easy to remove with 91% isopropyl alcohol (bought it in a spray bottle at Rite Aid). The gel stuff works a lot better.

Thanks! Exactly what I wanted to know.

Might match it all to the body color; I have too much "thinking" time right now LOL.

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
I have tried several cans of what you are asking op. It doesn't last and leaves a faded look in a wash or two. Try Detail King's Trim-Kote. It is a dye not a restorer. Works the best to restore trim, valances and flares. Pricey but worth it

46Tbird

forum member
Reaction score
About three years ago, my cowl panel was getting sun faded on my '12 GT. I had tried a few things on it, but nothing seemed to get it looking like it should.

I've always been a big-time hater of Plasti-Dip. I bought back a set of wheels that a guy had lightly sprayed some on, and it was a huge pain the ass to remove. But it looked exactly like what the cowl panel should look like. So I masked everything off and hit it with two light coats of black Plasti-Dip. And it looked great. Still does three years later, too. You might consider it.

Candy10

forum member
Reaction score
I have tried several cans of what you are asking op. It doesn't last and leaves a faded look in a wash or two. Try Detail King's Trim-Kote. It is a dye not a restorer. Works the best to restore trim, valances and flares. Pricey but worth it

About three years ago, my cowl panel was getting sun faded on my '12 GT. I had tried a few things on it, but nothing seemed to get it looking like it should.

I've always been a big-time hater of Plasti-Dip. I bought back a set of wheels that a guy had lightly sprayed some on, and it was a huge pain the ass to remove. But it looked exactly like what the cowl panel should look like. So I masked everything off and hit it with two light coats of black Plasti-Dip. And it looked great. Still does three years later, too. You might consider it.

Thanks for the info guys!

spectreman

forum member
Reaction score
http://www.meguiars.com/en/automoti...plastic-restorer-aerosol/#xrelIMkAv2iAdAm4.97

I was running low on Back to Black so I figured to give this stuff a try. Gotta say, not overly impressed. Detailed the car yday and it was a bit of a pain to use & I didn't mask anything, as the directions suggested. I only used it on lower areas, like the front, rear and under-door valances, to keep it away from windows & such. By the time I hit all 4 areas w/3 solid swipes, the can was almost empty. I kept an cloth w/alcohol for wiping off overspray & that just added to the mess.

Meguire's sez it'll last 100 washes- we'll see. Frankly, I think the basic Back To Black product works easier, even tho it won't last as long. I won't be purchasing again.
Lee

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back