Racing Stripes Gone couple questions

MustangJoe

Reaction score
2v0bprl.jpg

5sozs.jpg

So I bought this car in March and the silver racing stripes were faded and stained. I wanted to have the car re-striped so to save some money I removed the stripes myself, took me about 5 hours. Looks good without the stripes but on the rear bumper you can see a paint difference if you look closely.

Anyway, how does the trunk GT badge come off and how does the third brake light come out? Also have to remove the washer nozzles on hood to remove the remainder of the decal.

Thank you

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Of for fucks sake.....

Please read the rules... so not a tech topic here.

Moved

Search for the removal of the badge, dental floss and heat IIRC

Brake light look inside, IIRC there are tabs

Last edited:

MustangJoe

Reaction score
Hahaha, I got slammed!

Should have known to post this in Pimpin' it !

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Quote from OP "...Anyway, how does the trunk GT badge come off and how does the third brake light come out? Also have to remove the washer nozzles on hood to remove the remainder of the decal."

Hmmmm... so a disassembly question isn't considered a tech question. Funny. I've worked in electronics, electrical, mechanical, and electro-mechanical trades for 32+ years (military and private sector) and disassembly questions/concerns have always been the responsibility of the technical services department. If technical services isn't where you turn to for answers who is supposed to handle the question, the fricking company lawyer or accountant?

The guy is asking for assistance on disassembly procedure, regardless of the level of difficulty involved. He's not inquiring what color looks best or what exhaust sounds best, what tire works best, or showing off his shorty antenna and chrome exhaust tips upgrades.

Last edited:

MustangJoe

Reaction score
Thank you buddy, it's all good, I'm a 50 year old dude, I could have just googled it but want to hear from this site in particular. Next time I'll make sure I give it some thought first.

Quote from OP "...Anyway, how does the trunk GT badge come off and how does the third brake light come out? Also have to remove the washer nozzles on hood to remove the remainder of the decal."

Hmmmm... so a disassembly question isn't considered a tech question. Funny. I've worked in electronics, electrical, mechanical, and electro-mechanical trades for 32+ years (military and private sector) and disassembly questions/concerns have always been the responsibility of the technical services department. If technical services isn't where you turn to for answers who is supposed to handle the question, the fricking company lawyer or accountant?

The guy is asking for assistance on disassembly procedure, regardless of the level of difficulty involved. He's not inquiring what color looks best or what exhaust sounds best, what tire works best, or showing off his shorty antenna and chrome exhaust tips upgrades.

tightwhite08

Reaction score
third brake light should be removable from inside the trunk lid, washer nozzles can be pushed out from inside the hood, and the GT badge will remove with a little heat and fishing line/dental floss

'14StangGT

forum member
Reaction score
If you used a paint cleaner, and follow it up with a couple of different grades of polish, then top it off with a nice wax, it should make a difference where the stripes and the paint are different shades.

Do you have a Porter Cable or other kind of buffer ?

If you don't and it bugs you enough, I'm sure there are auto detailers in your town that will take care of that for ya...

If you lived closer to me, I'll help you out ;)

Last edited:

MustangJoe

Reaction score
I used a heat gun to remove and Turtle Wax Bug and Tar to clean, I had very little adhesive stick to any surface of the car. I do have a porter cable and will see if that makes a difference! Thank you

If you used a paint cleaner, and follow it up with a couple of different grades of polish, then top it off with a nice wax, it should make a difference where the stripes and the paint are different shades.

Do you have a Porter Cable or other kind of buffer ?

If you don't and it bugs you enough, I'm sure there are auto detailers in your town that will take care of that for ya...

If you lived close to me, I'll help you out ;)

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score

Literally post in Chit-Chat and no where else with general questions. I wouldn't pretend to understand what constitutes "tech" here, seems relative to the mod doing the scolding honestly.
I just don't start threads in Tech as a rule, seems to work.

MustangJoe

Reaction score
Sounds like good advice, thank you

Literally post in Chit-Chat and no where else with general questions. I wouldn't pretend to understand what constitutes "tech" here, seems relative to the mod doing the scolding honestly.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

well first thing is not to start a thread in tech with
"Racing Stripes Gone couple questions"

I guess in hindsight, this was borderline, however, removal of a cosmetic badge and a single light that really doesn't require much in the way tools, is hardly tech.

also posting in Chat when it should be tech is just as much work for a mod to move.

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
Although the OP's question would be considered tech on many forums, this site seems to prefer that "less hard-core" technical questions be posted in Mustang Chit Chat.

Like many folks, I found this out the hard way when I first joined. OP seems like a cool dude, and a few folks have stepped up to help, so I guess all's well that ends well.

FWIW, I would have never thought to post this question the in Pimpin' It section.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I would have never thought to post this question the in Pimpin' It section.
it's mostly about cosmetic modifications is it not?

Although the OP's question would be considered tech on many forums, this site seems to prefer that "less hard-core" technical questions be posted in Mustang Chit Chat.

in general if it requires turning a wrench or other tool, it goes in tech, the primary questions here were far from that, one could make the case that the 3rd brake light removal requires a tool.... but removal of the fixture is maybe two screws.... so that's why it was moved.

palanza7

forum member
Reaction score

Literally the only thing I've ever found weird about this website. The ambiguity of the tech forum for what is allowed to be posted and what not. Plus the refusal to re-title the place for clarity, yet the constant bitching when seemingly once a week someone posts in the wrong place.

Something something definition of insanity something doing the same thing over expecting different results lmao

Idk when it happens so frequently you'd think someone would realize it could be made clearer.

MustangJoe

Reaction score
OP: have you had a chance to get the nozzles, GT emblems or 3rd brake light work down yet ?

So I did the nozzles and 3rd brake light, easy as described here. Now I have to make a decision on whether or not I will restripe it. On the rear bumper, you can clearly see a paint difference. This weekend I will use my porter cable buffer and some polish/wax to see if I can get it to blend. If not I will restripe and remove the trunk badge when I send it to the graphics guy.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Literally the only thing I've ever found weird about this website. The ambiguity of the tech forum for what is allowed to be posted and what not. Plus the refusal to re-title the place for clarity, yet the constant bitching when seemingly once a week someone posts in the wrong place.

Something something definition of insanity something doing the same thing over expecting different results lmao

Idk when it happens so frequently you'd think someone would realize it could be made clearer.

Assimilate or leave! Like our beloved country this forum is no melting pot.

Bnbstang

Reaction score
I went through this on an old truck of mine. After about a month in the sun the paint shades were the same. I messed up and put the black rallys on my vista blue gt/cs and now they need to go. Bird shit and harsh AZ sun is not good on vinyl stickies. They only lasted about 9 months before looking like crap. If I do this again, they're gettin painted on. Easy enough.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back