Kumho Ecsta PS91

Goose428

Reaction score
Has anyone tried these tires? Camaro guys and M3 owners seem to like them as a cheaper alternative to the MPSS.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Ecsta+PS91

Curious to see if anyone has tried them/heard things about them.

I Autocross once a month and do spirited driving once every couple of weeks and can't afford/don't want R compounds or anything much above $700.

Also just a quick side note, how many of you guys are running an aftermarket torsen or true trac diff? My car has good clutch packs and it still spun the inner wheel quite a bit at auto-x this last weekend, and that's on 400 Treadware all seasons.......

Thanks!

Last edited:

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
I have them but not many miles (2000 or so now) to report back on longevity.
They grip well, have a smooth ride and are fairly quiet.
Compared to the Pirelli summer only tires that came stock on the Mustang, I think they are better all around.
Haven't used MPSS so, can't compare to them at all.

Goose428

Reaction score
Another good budget sticky tire is the firestone firehawak indy 500. Tread design looks like a bridgestone RE-11 and this tire has been available in Australia and Asia as the bridgestone Adrenalin RE-003.

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/TireDetailsServlet?tireModel=Firehawk+Indy+500&tireMake=Firestone

How long do those tires usually last for you and what kind of driving do you do?

I'd really like to try and get around 10k miles with spirited driving and auto-x. Not sure if this is a bit too optimistic though...

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've only got a couple thousand on them and just spirited driving in the mountains. I think they will easily go over 10k even with a few track events.
I am thinking about getting a set for my SVT focus as I autoX with that car, much easier to drive at the limit than a turbocharged S197.

BTD

*Insert Title Here*
Reaction score
I've been driving on my PS91's for about a year, previously on my 2006 and soon to be on my 2011. I like them, a lot. For a street summer tire, I think you would be hard pressed to beat them from a price/value standpoint. Maybe the Firehawk 500's can do it, but there's not much else that comes close.

Goose428

Reaction score
I've been driving on my PS91's for about a year, previously on my 2006 and soon to be on my 2011. I like them, a lot. For a street summer tire, I think you would be hard pressed to beat them from a price/value standpoint. Maybe the Firehawk 500's can do it, but there's not much else that comes close.

Thanks for the reply! Tire rack currently has a $100 mail in rebate for the PS91'S, so I am definitely going to go with them. I've been reading up on if it will be worth it to go bigger (like 265+) for width on my 8.5 inch wheel. Leaning more towards 255/35/18 for the shorter sidewall though.

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! Tire rack currently has a $100 mail in rebate for the PS91'S, so I am definitely going to go with them. I've been reading up on if it will be worth it to go bigger (like 265+) for width on my 8.5 inch wheel. Leaning more towards 255/35/18 for the shorter sidewall though.

That's a tiny tire to be putting on an S197.

BTD

*Insert Title Here*
Reaction score

Mine are 275/40/18, but I had them on 10" wheels. IMO, that's the ideal daily driver size, particularly if you run them on 9.5's.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Too small by several load index numbers (something like six or seven once you convert the Mustang's typical SL numbers over to the XL equivalent). This situation at best is . . . not enough load capacity without running them at an uncomfortably high inflation pressure.

Even 255/40 is a couple of load index numbers smaller than the OE tire sizes, but you can crutch that by inflating them 2 - 3 psi above the door sticker number(s) to get back the "lost" load capacity via extra pressure.

Norm

Last edited:

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried these tires? Camaro guys and M3 owners seem to like them as a cheaper alternative to the MPSS.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Ecsta+PS91

Curious to see if anyone has tried them/heard things about them.

I Autocross once a month and do spirited driving once every couple of weeks and can't afford/don't want R compounds or anything much above $700.

Also just a quick side note, how many of you guys are running an aftermarket torsen or true trac diff? My car has good clutch packs and it still spun the inner wheel quite a bit at auto-x this last weekend, and that's on 400 Treadware all seasons.......

Thanks!

Did you end up getting them? Looking at options on 285/35/20's and these interest me especially not breaking bank since I just put new tires on the truck too

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
I've been using the 285/35-19 PS91's this year on 19x10's square and have gone to a half dozen autox so far. The tires grip alot better than the stock Pirelli's at the autox and are more predictable. They do make a bit more road noise for daily driving, not terrible, just slightly more than the OEM tires. They also tram-line more than the Pirelli's but this is probably more due to the width difference (255 to 285) than anything else. So far, I really like them for a dual purpose tire.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back