Bama tune problems

Justfbilly

Reaction score
I have a 07 Mustang GT wiht L.T. headers and high flow cats that I purcahsed with a Bama tune on it but the previous owner did not give the tuner to the dealer when he traded the car in so I do not have the stock tune or any idea what tune was loaded on the car.

The car has passed emissions the last 2 years with no issues. I just recently installed a set of the Ford Racing cams and also bought the Tunes For Life from American Muscle. I had Bama write a tune for my car and all of the listed mods. I installed the tune and all seemed well until I went for my emissions testing, thats when I found that the car has not completed its drive cycle?

I purcashed the tunes for life on April 7th, the emissions test was done on July 21st and the car still has not completed its drive cycle? Its not a daily driver but I thought 2 1/2 months I would have driven enought to complete the drive cycle?

I filled the tank just a bit over 3/4 with 93 and drove according to the Ford drive cycle directions. I put over 700 miles on the car trying to get the drive cycle to complete but no luck waht so ever. I contacted Bama and I was told that their tunes do not effect the car not being ablet o complete the drive cycle?

Justy wondering if any one else had to deal with this? I now have to take the car to a local tuner and have a new tune put on it so it will atleast clear the drive cycle and I can get the cars plates current again.

I guess I can kiss that $150.00 goodbye. If you are in the market for a tuen and or tuner and you expect your car to complete a drive cycle after you have it tuned I would think twice before giving Bama any of your hard earned money. From my experience after they have your money and you have any issues you are out of luck.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
what exactly failed in the emissions test?

sometimes something could be set to off in the tune that causes a cascade effect of monitors not becoming ready and you'll not pass testing.

46addict

Reaction score
I had my issues with Bama as well and learned my lesson. But this is an issue they should be able to fix. With the high flow cats I am guessing they turned off or disabled your o2 sensors/monitors, which need to be on and ready for emissions testing. If they are disabled in the tune they will show as not ready and it never will even after repeating the drive cycles 10 times over.

Once the software part is addressed you may need to deal with hardware. One or two o2 sensor spacers on each side for each rear o2 sensor might be needed to move the sensors away from the exhaust stream. This is standard practice for cars with aftermarket cats/no cats, Bama tune or not. There are two active threads in Chit Chat over this issue so try a search. You'll find more than what you wanted to know from a decade's worth of info documented over the years.

Justfbilly

Reaction score
I could not complete the Drive Cycle. Tee CAT, EVAP, O2S and the HRT are not ready. I tried to explaine this to 2 diffrerent people at Bama and they keep insisting that the tune does not effect the drive cycle?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
the tune doesn't effect the cycle, it effects the monitors, semantics maybe, but accurate.

my guess, the rear O2s are not heating up quickly enough for the system, IIRC there's a possible tune adjustment to change the delay on the rears to make them more emissions friendly.

Justfbilly

Reaction score
Funny that you said that, I just got a Modified tune from Bama just now. I mentioned to them that there might be a delay issue because one of the codes was for a P0153 (slow response) which is from the L.T. Headers.

slow06stang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I had some similar issues on my other mustang. My previous tuner had to do some adjustments to get it to pass.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back