Hellllllllllp!!!

RedCandyApple2008

Reaction score
So I was trying to load my Bren 91 tune from my sct4 tuner... I did the preloaded tune to save my stock tune first then I did the Bren 91 custom and my car started for like a second then died...so I returned back to stock and it starts now...what did I do wrong?

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So I was trying to load my Bren 91 tune from my sct4 tuner... I did the preloaded tune to save my stock tune first then I did the Bren 91 custom and my car started for like a second then died...so I returned back to stock and it starts now...what did I do wrong?
Jose,

Do yourself a favor and call Brenspeed before you screw-up your engine.

Good-Luck,
Terry

RedCandyApple2008

Reaction score
Thank you...

Jose,

Do yourself a favor and call Brenspeed before you screw-up your engine.

Good-Luck,
Terry

I called but I think they're closed right now...did I do the right thing setting it back to stock? I'm not doing anything until I talk to them. Thank you!

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I called but I think they're closed right now...did I do the right thing setting it back to stock? I'm not doing anything until I talk to them. Thank you!
Brent is at a NMRA race this weekend.
He will be back at the office on Monday.
They are open Monday through Friday.

I think your okay with it being set back to the Stock settings.
I simply would not take it out and run it Wide-Open until I spoke with them on Monday, tomorrow.
They will walk you through the process over the phone .........

Terry

bl817

Reaction score
you should just load the email tune from them straight to your car. it should have previsions for all your mods if you filled the form out correctly. the preloaded tunes are very basic yet better than stock. start with the car on stock tune, plug in your tuner and search for email/custom tune you want (87,91,93 etc.) which you should have on your tuner. follow the instructions and don't get in a hurry or panic when the dash goes nuts. do not for any reason turn off key, unplug tuner during any of this. the tuner will save the stock tune first then upload the custom/email tune to your car. once its done, the tuner will say so and you can turn off the key. unplug tuner and start car, should run like a champ. also make sure your battery has a good charge on it when starting the process. good luck

RedCandyApple2008

Reaction score
you should just load the email tune from them straight to your car. it should have previsions for all your mods if you filled the form out correctly. the preloaded tunes are very basic yet better than stock. start with the car on stock tune, plug in your tuner and search for email/custom tune you want (87,91,93 etc.) which you should have on your tuner. follow the instructions and don't get in a hurry or panic when the dash goes nuts. do not for any reason turn off key, unplug tuner during any of this. the tuner will save the stock tune first then upload the custom/email tune to your car. once its done, the tuner will say so and you can turn off the key. unplug tuner and start car, should run like a champ. also make sure your battery has a good charge on it when starting the process. good luck

Thank you man I appreciate it...that's where I screwed up. Instead of going straight for the custom 91 tune I did the preloaded better than stock tune first thinking going the other way it wasn't gonna save my stock tune first, then I did the custom 91 and you know the rest :( I'm scared to even touch it now lol... trust me I feel like an idiot.

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
Thank you man I appreciate it...that's where I screwed up. Instead of going straight for the custom 91 tune I did the preloaded better than stock tune first thinking going the other way it wasn't gonna save my stock tune first, then I did the custom 91 and you know the rest :( I'm scared to even touch it now lol... trust me I feel like an idiot.

As long as it accepted the "return to stock" tune, you should be fine. If you're using a SCT device, it will always download your stock parameters on the first tune. This is how the device binds itself to your vehicle. Once it's bound, you can switch from tune to tune. Everytime you use the "return to stock" option, it runs up the counter on how many times the device has been married to a vehicle, even if it's the same vehicle. I think on most SCT devices the allowed count is 5 times, then the device has to be sent back to SCT to have the counter reset, for a fee. Most tuners/dyno shops can have this done remotely, I think. So don't return your car to stock when you want to switch tunes. Just select the next tune you want to use and load it. I have 3 tunes I use somewhat regularly. My Smog tune once a year, regular 91 oct tune, and e85 tune. I just pick the one I want and load it, no returning to stock.

bl817

Reaction score
702GT, I don't think that first statement is entirely accurate. IIRC, the SCT tuner needs to be rid of "stock" tune to upgrade the firmware. mine is the older SF3 so don't know if the new X4 is different as I know it can be Wi-Fi enabled. I would assume if your using just the preloaded tunes then a firmware upgrade would tweak a few things thus the need for the stock tune be put back on the car. ive gone back and forth between the 87 (for longer trips) and 93 (hammering around town) several times and no issues like you've also mentioned. I don't think it ticks off a marry/paired from the list until a new vin and info is logged into the device via the OBD2. I could be entirely wrong as well LOL so don't bash me to hard.

46addict

Reaction score
As long as it accepted the "return to stock" tune, you should be fine. If you're using a SCT device, it will always download your stock parameters on the first tune. This is how the device binds itself to your vehicle. Once it's bound, you can switch from tune to tune.

702GT, I don't think that first statement is entirely accurate. IIRC, the SCT tuner needs to be rid of "stock" tune to upgrade the firmware. mine is the older SF3 so don't know if the new X4 is different as I know it can be Wi-Fi enabled. I would assume if your using just the preloaded tunes then a firmware upgrade would tweak a few things thus the need for the stock tune be put back on the car. ive gone back and forth between the 87 (for longer trips) and 93 (hammering around town) several times and no issues like you've also mentioned. I don't think it ticks off a marry/paired from the list until a new vin and info is logged into the device via the OBD2. I could be entirely wrong as well LOL so don't bash me to hard.
My experience with SCT is the same as what you guys are pointing out.
The tuner backs up the stock file the first time you load a custom tune or a pre-loaded tune. Once that is done you can switch from one tune to another without going back to stock. Going back to stock is only required for a firmware update, and doing so does not count against your unlock credits unless the tuner is being used to tune a different car. The SCT serial, PCM code, and tune are bound when a custom tune or pre-loaded tune is being used.

RedCandyApple2008

Reaction score
Thank you guys for your input...so I was able to straighten it all out after talking with someone on Monday. They told me that they automatically include the CAI in the tune when you order the cai/tuner package...is this usually true? Reason I ask is bc after finally driving my car today after installing the CAI and the 91 Bren tune it feels sluggish to me...does it get better? I wouldn't be running lean or something could I? Doesn't feel like I gained 30 horses :(

Last edited:

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thank you guys for your input...so I was able to straighten it all out after talking with someone on Monday. They told me that they automatically include the CAI in the tune when you order the cai/tuner package...is this usually true? Reason I ask is bc after finally driving my car today after installing the CAI and the 91 Bren tune it feels sluggish to me...does it get better?
I wouldn't be running lean or something could I?
Doesn't feel like I gained 30 horses
:(

Jose,

Look buddy I could just skip saying and telling you this but ..........
You ask so I think someone should tell you.
I highly doubt you actually gained 30 H/P by that CAI Change !!!

Terry

RedCandyApple2008

Reaction score
Jose,

Look buddy I could just skip saying and telling you this but ..........
You ask so I think someone should tell you.
I highly doubt you actually gained 30 H/P by that CAI Change !!!

Terry

Well with the CAI alone of course not lol... but they claim you do with the CAI plus the tune which is what I got, thanks anyways.

rickf

forum member
Reaction score
You got the same setup as I did and the tune is set for the CAI along with the mods they put into the tune so if you were trying to run it with the tune but before you put in the CAI then it is not going to run good since the MAF readings are going to be way off of what the ecu is looking for. If you put the CAI on afterwards without doing anything else it will eventually change the adaptives as you run it but if you want it to show the real potential right away you need to reset the computer. Either disconnect the battery for a half hour or through the X4 do a KAM reset.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Either disconnect the battery for a half hour or through the X4 do a KAM reset.

What he said.
I'd installed my JLT CAI first and then uploaded my Brenspeed 91 octane tune. The engine ran like a raped ape from the outset and it got even better when I added further mods. Yours will too trust me!

RedCandyApple2008

Reaction score
What he said.
I'd installed my JLT CAI first and then uploaded my Brenspeed 91 octane tune. The engine ran like a raped ape from the outset and it got even better when I added further mods. Yours will too trust me![/QUOTE

It's what I did and worked...installed CAI then did the tune...I just disconnected the battery on lunch for a bit...I don't have to redo the tune do I?

07 Boss

Reaction score
What he said.
I'd installed my JLT CAI first and then uploaded my Brenspeed 91 octane tune. The engine ran like a raped ape from the outset and it got even better when I added further mods. Yours will too trust me![/QUOTE

It's what I did and worked...installed CAI then did the tune...I just disconnected the battery on lunch for a bit...I don't have to redo the tune do I?

Nope. I think when you enter the new tune the KAM data goes away so I don't think you even needed to disconnect the battery. You should be good though.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back