GT500 TB issue

Reaction score
I am ready to add my 2 cents to this...First I have read in several articles that the GT 500 TB is better due to the plug and play connections, 2nd it is very easy to tune without issues where other TBs are always hard to fine tune. The other issue I have seen is that the adapter plates currently sold are 1/2inch thick and if you have the intake manifold cover with the running pony you cannot put it back on since the throttle body is pushed too far forward.....So I bought myself a GT 500 TB on ebay for $65 and having only 500 miles usage...then I took my factory TB off and made a template of the mounting surface and made a template of the GT 500 mounting surface, and I then measured the length of the rubber mounting grommets and they are 1/4 inch thick, so I am going to make an adapter plate that is 3/16 inch thick out of aircraft aluminum. This way the Pony cover can be placed back on the engine, the adapter will allow full usage of the openings to the factory body while aligning the GT 500 throttle body holes so air flow will be as smooth as possible...Once I get done testing this on my car I will be putting these adapter plates on here for sale...not sure of the cost since I plan on hiring a company with a plasma cutter jig to make the plates...and then hand finish the plate to match a known wokring plate that I will keep as reference so quality control will be as good as I can keep it...I WILL be posting all my results hopefully within 30 days or less. What I have read this upgrade will give 8hp to 15hp depending on how your car is setup performance wise in components (headers, CAI, Tune, ETC...)

NickD87

forum member
Reaction score
Blow by racing already made those plates, I have one for sale if anyone wants it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
yea, gt500 adapter plates arent a new idea, sorry

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I am ready to add my 2 cents to this...First I have read in several articles that the GT 500 TB is better due to the plug and play connections, 2nd it is very easy to tune without issues where other TBs are always hard to fine tune. The other issue I have seen is that the adapter plates currently sold are 1/2inch thick and if you have the intake manifold cover with the running pony you cannot put it back on since the throttle body is pushed too far forward.....So I bought myself a GT 500 TB on ebay for $65 and having only 500 miles usage...then I took my factory TB off and made a template of the mounting surface and made a template of the GT 500 mounting surface, and I then measured the length of the rubber mounting grommets and they are 1/4 inch thick, so I am going to make an adapter plate that is 3/16 inch thick out of aircraft aluminum. This way the Pony cover can be placed back on the engine, the adapter will allow full usage of the openings to the factory body while aligning the GT 500 throttle body holes so air flow will be as smooth as possible...Once I get done testing this on my car I will be putting these adapter plates on here for sale...not sure of the cost since I plan on hiring a company with a plasma cutter jig to make the plates...and then hand finish the plate to match a known wokring plate that I will keep as reference so quality control will be as good as I can keep it...I WILL be posting all my results hopefully within 30 days or less. What I have read this upgrade will give 8hp to 15hp depending on how your car is setup performance wise in components (headers, CAI, Tune, ETC...)

Don't waste your time or money imho. There are plates already as well as ways to bore out the holes to align perfect that the community has been doing for the past 10 years. Btw more real world gains are gonna be 2-3hp tops on a bolt on car. Unless its max effort na race build just leave the stocker on. Those 8-15hp gains are on a boosted setup where your moving a lot more air than the 3v does in na form.

46addict

Reaction score
Mine dyno'd at 429whp with a 62mm BBK TB on a 10psi Procharger setup. I put the stock TB on and currently going through a retune to fix some driveability issues I had with the BBK. I will see what the trap speeds/dyno numbers are when the tuning is done but I don't think I lost much, if at all with the stock TB. I've been told the restrictions are past the TB.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back