p0461 Fuel level sensor

05roush0090

forum member
Reaction score
Recently installed gt500 fuel pump setup but upgraded the pumps to dual DW340lph units. With that being said I have maybe 5-800 miles on this setup in last couple months. Couple days ago when I started my car I notice my fuel gauge is acting kinda weird. I had filled up the tank day before but when gauge got around 3/4 it started hesitating moving erratically. Then the dreaded check engine light came on. I was in a hurry so I simply shut the car down and pulled the p0461 code and cleared it. references the Fuel level sensor says ckt/performance. Or something along those lines. I am pretty sure the sensor wasn't damaged during install but wondering if anyone else has seen this code and what they did to fix it? I am going to start my car again today after work and see if the code comes back on again.

05roush0090

forum member
Reaction score
I am wondering if my battery could have anything to do with it? I believe my red top optima is beginning to fail. My car sits a lot and generally I have it connected to a tender but when I first got the battery if I left if unhooked it would be good for a month or so but now seems it will go dead in as little as two weeks. I am thinking of getting an interstate battery. That probably isn't my issue with the fuel level sensor but figured I would add this to my post in case.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Go back and check your wiring and related fuel sending unit devices. Problems that occur in the area you last monkeyed with are 99% of the time the source of your new found problem. Free advice from a person with 25+ years of electrical/electronic troubleshooting experience.

05roush0090

forum member
Reaction score
I looked over all my wiring and connections and they all look good. So I started the car again. No code but the gauge is still acting erratically...floating back and forth between 3/4 tank and full. I will have run my gas level down below 3/4 and pull the pump assembly to inspect the sensor I suppose. :(

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
When you get to it, You can read the resistance of the sensor in the tank. Low fuel = 15 ohms +/- 2. Full equals 160 ohms +/-2. If the sensor is outside of this range a mode called "anti-slosh mode" begins. IT takes up to 55 minutes to stablize according to the tech manual. So you may be in this mode due to an improper resistance on the variable resistor on the float unit. Better yet read this and you will be all in the know.
http://iihs.net/fsm/?d=343&f=Instrument Cluster.pdf&p=2

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Read the process in the tech manual hyperlink I provided you. It provides the information. Anti Slosh mode is the default mode btw. I misread the explanation. The fuel tank gauge description explains how it all works. The important thing is 15-160 ohms apparently. It tells you what will transpire if that range is not met. Sorry there is no magic answer, it will require you to troubleshoot the problem like most people have to do in cases like this.

Last edited:

05roush0090

forum member
Reaction score
Got this fixed. Wires for fuel level sensor had to be switched around. Basically had to hook them up criss crossed.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
^^^ As stated go back to the last area you monkeyed with. 9-10 times that is where a new problem resides. Glad you got it resolved.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back