Need help ! Unable to install Borla S type on 2006 Mustang GT

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Yup... they won't fit they have a slight difference in the bend. once they go over the axle.
You will have to custom fab pipes to make it fit.

I understand and agree 100%.. However how is it that the Magnaflow street mufflers that are designed for the stock exhaust/axle pipes fit with the Magnaflow axle pipes which have a slight difference in the bends as you just mentioned ? The way I'm looking at it, is being as the bends are slightly different, you would think the Magnaflow street mufflers wouldn't be able to fit either, but yet they do :shrug:

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Edit: Update

Finally got around to getting the Borla S types installed.. At any rate, the muffler shop that did the installation confirmed what I suspected all along.. It was the Magnaflow OTA pipes that caused the fitment issues I was going through in which they have slightly different bends to them over the stock OTA pipes after the rear axle.. Needless to say the bends in the Magnaflow pipes were just enough to prevent the Borla S types from lining up properly.. So after removing the the Magnaflow OTA pipes and then reinstalling the stock OTA's, the Borla's lined up perfectly and resolved the fitment issues..

After the installation was completed, I made phone calls to both Borla and Magnaflow and found out from Borla that both their axle back and cat back exhaust systems are manufactured to OEM specs regarding fitment..

Magnaflow on the other hand, confirmed their cat back exhaust systems are designed only for their exhaust components.. However they do claim their rear axle back kits are designed for the stock exhaust.. I suppose this can be interpreted as meaning that Magnaflow has 2 different axle back components for their cat back and rear axle back exhaust systems

Anyhow, here's my review.. After listening to the Borla S types, they most definitely provide that deep throaty sound I've been searching for in which for the most part I've been very pleased with them where their loud when you want them, but not overbearing over the top.. The bad news is, yes there is a noticeable drone to them between 1500-2000 RPM when under load, during acceleration under 50 MPH.. The good news however, is once I'm above 55 MPH on the highway while cruising, there is no noticeable drone whatsoever in 5th gear at 2000 RPM and above.. In addition, Borla also confirmed that once the axle backs build up enough filament/carbon approx after 300-500 miles, the carbon build up should reduce the amount of drone..

That being said, from my personal experience, the drone isn't nearly as bad as from those I've read on this forum and also from others as well who've posted about the drone as being unbearable.. Perhaps it's just me or my hearing just isn't quite as sensitive to drone as others have reported about the S types..

All I can say is the drone is very livable and isn't nearly as bad as I thought from reading all the negative reviews and horror stories from people who uninstalled their Borla S types and put them up for sale because of the drone being so terrible lol.

In the meantime, hope this review of the Borla S type axle back exhaust may be found as useful to anyone who might be considering them..

-Rocky

Last edited:

Stang006

Reaction score
Thanks Rocky for the info, but what is this drone noise I keep reading about?

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks Rocky for the info, but what is this drone noise I keep reading about?

The best way to describe drone, is when you hear very low bass frequencies inside the cabin at lower RPM's during highway speeds between 55-60 MPH in 5th/6th gears.. If you know what a subwoofer sounds like when at high volume, this is what is referred to as resonance drone produced by running an aftermarket exhaust system.. The louder the exhaust, the more it amplifies those low bass frequencies in the lower RPM ranges.. Another example is by placing a finger in each ear and then hum in a low and moderate tone..

If what is described as drone is something you would consider as either annoying or unbearable, I would strongly recommend looking into a cat back or axle back exhaust such as the FR500S, Corsa, Magnaflow, Borla touring exhaust or Roush as your top 5 choices which are designed to either minimize or eliminate the ultra low frequencies that produce resonance drone..

In the meantime, hope this provides a clearer definition..

-Rocky

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
Glad you found the issue! IMO, the Borla Stingers are some of the best mufflers I've ever heard on these cars.

Stang006

Reaction score
The best way to describe drone, is when you hear very low bass frequencies inside the cabin at lower RPM's during highway speeds between 55-60 MPH in 5th/6th gears.. If you know what a subwoofer sounds like when at high volume, this is what is referred to as resonance drone produced by running an aftermarket exhaust system.. The louder the exhaust, the more it amplifies those low bass frequencies in the lower RPM ranges.. Another example is by placing a finger in each ear and then hum in a low and moderate tone..

If what is described as drone is something you would consider as either annoying or unbearable, I would strongly recommend looking into a cat back or axle back exhaust such as the FR500S, Corsa, Magnaflow, Borla touring exhaust or Roush as your top 5 choices which are designed to either minimize or eliminate the ultra low frequencies that produce resonance drone..

In the meantime, hope this provides a clearer definition..

-Rocky
Thanks, good info there.

Totheboards

Reaction score
Believe I had the same issue you're describing with my Borla ATAK on my 2010. Ended up trimming hangers w/ sawzall and adjusting the bends to center the tips in the bumper. That was when I had manifolds and stock H, but the fit is the same with Kooks long tubes and X.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Glad you found the issue! IMO, the Borla Stingers are some of the best mufflers I've ever heard on these cars.

Although I liked the sound of the Roush Extreme and FR500S just slightly better over the Borla Stingers.. I was concerned they would end up as being too loud with running a Saleen VI supercharger.. I also prefer T-304 SS over 409 grade SS.. So in the end, I chose the Stingers for their excellent quality in which Borla backs their exhaust systems with their million mile warranty..

I also agree about the Borla Stingers as having one of the best sounding exhaust systems for the 05-10 3 valve cars :waytogo:

Believe I had the same issue you're describing with my Borla ATAK on my 2010. Ended up trimming hangers w/ sawzall and adjusting the bends to center the tips in the bumper. That was when I had manifolds and stock H, but the fit is the same with Kooks long tubes and X.

That's what I get for assuming that my now previous Magnaflow OTA pipes had the same bends as the stock OTA's.. At any rate, lesson learned lol.

Anyhow I was also considering the Borla ATAK, but was concerned they would end up being too loud with running my Saleen VI supercharger, so I decided to go with the Borla Stingers instead..

I also have just 2 questions for you about the Borla ATAK.. Did you ever experience any cabin drone when you still had the stock exhaust manifolds with stock catted H and also in your opinion, do you consider the ATAK's as
being significantly louder over the Borla Stingers ?

Totheboards

Reaction score
Personally I was a little disappointed with the fit of the Borla muffs. Took a lot of "fine" tuning with channel locks and vice grips on the hangers.
I didn't have much drone with the old [manifolds - stock H - ATAK] setup.... Barely anything at 2000 rpm. More noise came from my worn out carrier bearings.
Yes, ATAK is noticeably louder.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Luckily I was fortunate that the Stingers didn't require any fine tuning or adjustments, as they fit and lined up perfectly.. The only exception was we had to cut half an inch from the driver's side hanger rod, as it wouldn't clear the frame rail off the rear valance.. Otherwise there were no other fitment issues at all..

Phil1098

Reaction score
Although I liked the sound of the Roush Extreme and FR500S just slightly better over the Borla Stingers.. I was concerned they would end up as being too loud with running a Saleen VI supercharger..

I know my FR500S mufflers had a nice deep sound and pretty reasonable overall sound level. Can't speak for a supercharger, but once I put on Kooks long tubes and an off road H, all hell broke loose. My car is so loud now, everyone asks me how I haven't been arrested. Seriously, it is really loud now.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
I know my FR500S mufflers had a nice deep sound and pretty reasonable overall sound level. Can't speak for a supercharger, but once I put on Kooks long tubes and an off road H, all hell broke loose. My car is so loud now, everyone asks me how I haven't been arrested. Seriously, it is really loud now.

Phil,

I'm sure the FR500S will sound great with a supercharger as they were originally designed for the FR500 race car and 2008 Shelby GT500KR edition..

I also have no doubt that your car must be extremely loud after adding your Kooks long tubes and off road H.. I know that here in the Pittsburgh area, I'd be getting pulled over for sure by cars with the blue lights on the roof lol.

-Rocky

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back