Want to push 400 to 450 Hp 4.6l without breaking thing when done

SpecOps13

3rd Childhood Thing
Reaction score
I have a low mileage 05 with a stick shift and 4.10 gears and want to get the power up. I know the s197 has a number of weak points in the drive train and possibly frame structure. What are they and what do I need to replace and with what to make the car live at those RWHP levels specifically??? Just want to make sure I have all the bases covered.... Thanks for any help, in advance....

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Stage 1 DOB, BMR LCA's and LCA brackets.

SpecOps13

3rd Childhood Thing
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Now I have a starting point, I'm sure there will be more to do.

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
Twin disc clutch would be a great improvement over the factory. The factory will give up under hard use and sticky tires with that horse power.

SPeace-ATL

forum member
Reaction score
I will add my comments just from a transmission standpoint. You would have a TR3650.

Even a stock TR3650 can break the input shaft if the clutch is really strong and the tires won't slip. the 05-10 inputs seem to snap a little more often than the 01-04 models. That may be because the 05-10 shaft is a little longer. It seems to be the 500 hp mark that really breaks or twists the inputs.

So, i 'm saying get the weakest clutch that will still hold up to your needs. Don't overdo it or you can just about guarantee breaking the input.

So, a stronger input shaft would be one with a 26 spline shank. That would require a 26 spline clutch to go with it.

Fortunately, with a snapped input, it only damages that one part and it can be fixed without having to replace everything inside. Well... unless it just needed a rebuild anyway.

Now, the symptom of a twisted input shaft is that the clutch doesn't fully disengage since the clutch disk can't slip away from the flywheel due to the twisted splines. This makes it hard to get into gear at a light, but easy to shift into gear with the engine off.

Driving one very long in this condition will destroy the synchro hubs as well as the engagement teeth on all of the gears making for an expensive rebuild.

From there, the next weakest spot in a TR3650 is third gear which likes to shatter when hit just right with too much power.

SpecOps13

3rd Childhood Thing
Reaction score
A lot of good suggestions here. Some I suspected but many are worthy of further attention by me. I'd rather build this car than buy something newer, I love the body style of the 05 S197. Thank You all.

Dave

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
427RWHP can very easily be made through a 2.3 TVS or 2.3 twin screw running 6-7psi on a 4.6L 3V. It only requires the supercharger upgrade from the power standpoint. my number is specific from the first stage of upgrades I did on my 2005 GT. Twin screw Saleen 2.3L PD unit running 6-7psi made 427RWHP 409T. Still running cats, and factory manifolds.

Heed the advise on the drive train upgrades especially if you plan on putting sticky tires on the car (I.E. slicks or a true Drag Radial). I personally favored the Exedy Mach series clutch packages (ran the organic Mach 500 setup with LW steel FW )as I had an RST twin disk and didn't care for it. In addition to those suggestions you may also consider replacing the two piece DS with a one piece aluminum unit for a little added peace of mind. An upper Control Arm upgrade would also be beneficial in assisting with minimizing wheel hop. Other suspension upgrades depend on what you plan to do with the car. Enjoy.

ponys197

forum member
Reaction score
If you upgrade the UCA - get the 2011 + from BMR , it will fit the 2005-2010's , you will just need to buy the 18mm bolt from Tasca for it. It is a beefier unit over what they offer for the 2005-2010's. I have it on my 2006.

I also have the Axle Exchange 1 piece driveshaft as well so I can recommend that one too.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back