6R80 in my 05

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
So is the tach adapter necessary or not? Answer was cloudy earlier as it was stated 07 up had a clean signal unused pin at ecm. Is this the case or do I need to order the adapter as mine is an 07?

JST4FN

forum member
Reaction score
A RPM input is necessary. If the 07's up have a free signal from the PCM I'd use it. Mine did not so I had to use a tach adapter. I now use an output from the Holley EFI instead of an adapter.

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
So is the tach adapter necessary or not? Answer was cloudy earlier as it was stated 07 up had a clean signal unused pin at ecm. Is this the case or do I need to order the adapter as mine is an 07?

There's a few threads on here about how to use the CTO signal, from 1 ..

I have 2010 but installed the Auometer 9117 and it's been working fine for 5+yrs.

To answer your question, I live in Lincolnton ..

""On 2007 and newer cars there is a pin on the ECU labeled CTO (clean tach output) that is not used. There is no “pin” in the plug where the pin comes out of the ECU.

The pin is located in the middle plug on the ECU (the “B” connector). It’s the 50 pin connector. The pin is located at C-25 (it’s labeled on the plug). run the wire from the ECU right to the tach or any feed that needs a tach signal

This PIN #25 will have a dead Plug in it, You will need to remove the dead plug to insert your PIN. We used was from an old Ford harness, they were the same size.

Thats the hardest part ,finding a pin thats the correct size for the PCM Plug""

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
Thanks. Guess I'll pull my connector off and make sure there is a pin on the ecm in that cavity and ifso just pin the connector and give it a whirl.
One more question, are you guys going from manual to auto swapping master cylinders or blocks port etc,?

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
I haven't removed the clutch pedal or line yet. Just capped the line and wire tied the pedal down, I cut the CPP switch wire 1 and spliced it into the Quick6 grey wire so the starter circuit works in both Park and Neutral ...

I wanted to ensure the 6R worked before removing them, I knew as soon as I pulled out of my driveway for the 1st test drive the T56 wasn't going back in.

I'll remove the pedal sometime this fall.

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
I haven't removed the clutch pedal or line yet. Just capped the line and wire tied the pedal down, I cut the CPP switch wire 1 and spliced it into the Quick6 grey wire so the starter circuit works in both Park and Neutral ...

I wanted to ensure the 6R worked before removing them, I knew as soon as I pulled out of my driveway for the 1st test drive the T56 wasn't going back in.

I'll remove the pedal sometime this fall.

awesome! that's great advice.

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
Set out to do this entire swap in a day from a 5 speed. Started at 12:30 today and down to wiring it, starting and filling trans, then i can start driving tommorrow. Looks like im gonna be here till around 3-4 a.m. Boy I'm pooped

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
Set out to do this entire swap in a day from a 5 speed. Started at 12:30 today and down to wiring it, starting and filling trans, then i can start driving tommorrow. Looks like im gonna be here till around 3-4 a.m. Boy I'm pooped

Yea the wiring is what took me the longest, but I went from a manual. I am currently using the 6r80 tune file that came in shiftware 5.13. It is the MediumFirm Shift 6000. I adjusted some of the lower gears but for the most part that tune file is pretty good. One thing nobody has said but I found out the hard way, once you flash your tune to the controller, you must read it back to make sure the TCC Turn on graph is the same as the tune file you just wrote.

For me, I wasn't getting lockup so I tried to figure out what was going on and looked at my tune file and it was showing that I had it set correctly. However, when you do the "Read Calibration From Controller" the "TCC On" graph was messed up. To get it to work I had to write it to the controller again as well as read it to verify. Its an extra step but a good idea when loading your new tunes.

Let me know if that didn't make sense.

I'm hoping to go to the track Sunday and make a few passes.

forum member
Reaction score
... One thing nobody has said but I found out the hard way, once you flash your tune to the controller, you must read it back to make sure the TCC Turn on graph is the same as the tune file you just wrote...

I have a similar issue. I believe this is an issue that Karl is working on (based on an email). I think this was not discussed in this thread because it wasn't an issue with the earlier versions of the Quick 6 firmware. At least, it was not a problem for me until the most recent firmware.
Has anyone been contacted about the transbrake?

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
He had been talking to Bruce out in Utah about being a Beta tester on the transbrake, but I think he's trying to use the JMS. Weren't people blowing up trans with those? I'd be a little iffy to throw that on my car even though my trans is build. The only reason I knew to reflash it was through an email with Karl also.

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
Well my 07 didn't have the CTO so I had to order a tach adapter that won't be here until Tuesday. I spent a lot of extra time wiring lights, interlock,etc.manual isn't clear so I had to get out the meter and start checking for ambient lighting on a/c plug to pull from. Looking at the program is like looking at the matrix to me. Prolly gonna get Aaron Lail to tune it for me.

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
These base maps are farrrr from close. I'm in 6th by 50mph. Which base map are you going with for your sons car 05stroker. Mine and his setups sound very similar and were using the same converter only mine is the 245mm instead of the big one

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
After the firmware update I used the medium firm 6000k tune file. I'm going through little bit of an issue with mine. I went to the track this weekend and the trans is flaring on shifts pretty bad. Karl thinks that the controller hadn't fully learned, but I had driven a few hundred miles on it before the track. Well it turns out that in the Misc tab the enable learned shift timing wasn't checked in that "tune file" and I think it probably needed to be.

I read the tune file from the controller and sent that to Karl last night. I'm hoping we can get around this quickly. I know one person has burnt up his trans with flare issues(his was a stock trans). I def don't want to burn up my built one because of it. The flare doesn't appear to be as harsh wen using the manutronic shifting.

I have also come to the conclusion that I really need to do a gear swap. My car shifted before the 60 this past weekend. I was able to click off a 10.52 @ 138 with a 1.66 and a 10.41 @ 139 with a 1.68. These were leaving at 2700 and 2500 off the 2 step. I had it programmed to shift out of 1st pretty quickly to get into the upper gears quicker and spool the turbo.

forum member
Reaction score
After the firmware update I used the medium firm 6000k tune file. I'm going through little bit of an issue with mine. I went to the track this weekend and the trans is flaring on shifts pretty bad. Karl thinks that the controller hadn't fully learned, but I had driven a few hundred miles on it before the track. Well it turns out that in the Misc tab the enable learned shift timing wasn't checked in that "tune file" and I think it probably needed to be.

I read the tune file from the controller and sent that to Karl last night. I'm hoping we can get around this quickly. I know one person has burnt up his trans with flare issues(his was a stock trans). I def don't want to burn up my built one because of it. The flare doesn't appear to be as harsh wen using the manutronic shifting.

I have also come to the conclusion that I really need to do a gear swap. My car shifted before the 60 this past weekend. I was able to click off a 10.52 @ 138 with a 1.66 and a 10.41 @ 139 with a 1.68. These were leaving at 2700 and 2500 off the 2 step. I had it programmed to shift out of 1st pretty quickly to get into the upper gears quicker and spool the turbo.

Interesting post. I get an occasional flare but I thought that had to do with throttle position and how I set up my shiftware. Now I am concerned. Karl told me to disable learned shift timing (see quote from the email below):

In the past we've been using "Learned Shift Timing" to attempt to discover the actual shift times, but this process is limited, because it requires at least three of each shift and TCC apply/release event at 40% or greater TPS in the same ignition cycle to establish a learned value. This is impractical for several reasons, and I am planning to redesign this functionality to improve it in several ways. For now, I think that we should disable learned shift timing, which will use the default values in the 6R80.Def file.

I wish the user manual would identify the purpose of each tab in those settings.

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
Well that relieves me some about the "learn shift timing" not being checked but I'm hoping he sees something in the readback tune file that is causing me issues. I'd definitely keep an eye on it. I made mention to Mike yesterday for his as well. He was about to start doing some WOT passes.

How firm are your shifts? I did the medium firm for the street driving because I didn't want it to be too harsh, but I'm wondering if making them firm in every gear would help eliminate some of that. I remember comparing tune files with Bruce Webb before his trans messed up and his shifts were much firmer than mine. Hopefully we can figure out something soon.

FYI: Karls email the other day mentioned Trans Brake integrated into the controller soon(maybe a month), but if I have to go send it in for the up date and go through 500+ miles of controller learning before I can go to the track I'm going to be upset.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back