Connecting Rod Direction?

BeachMonkey100

forum member
Reaction score
After talking with some members on here and my best friend google, I have seen most say the rods direction doesn't matter due to the non inverted radius of the crank meaning the rod can go either way. But after doing some more searching I have see where ford states that the identification tabs on the rod must face forward. Any input?

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
I'm no expert but as I understand it the side with the wider gap b/w the edge of the bearing and the edge of the cap goes toward the crank. I read this in a thread here somewhere, let me see if I can find it.

BeachMonkey100

forum member
Reaction score
To be honest I don't understand what he's saying, if he's referring to the tang then it somewhat makes sense. And both sides of the rods and bearings are the same for my build.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
If you look at the big end of the rod with the bearings installed you'll see the bearing doesn't seat dead center in the housing, but rather one side is pretty close to the edge of the housing and the other side has a gap or space, on mine its about .070. That side with the gap is supposed to face the crank journal. If you look at this pic the gap is on the top.

BeachMonkey100

forum member
Reaction score
You mean the wider side facing the cheek of the crank? Meaning the smaller gaps facing each other in the middle of the crank.

And I'm using boss 302 rods

BeachMonkey100

forum member
Reaction score
Alright here we go so I understand this fully,

This way: #1
u9uhe5u9.jpg

Or this way: #2
azy4y4a9.jpg

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Yes, generally the wider gap would go against the crank side, and the narrow gap against the other rod. Depending on the crank used, and the bearings used, it may not matter.

BeachMonkey100

forum member
Reaction score
Cobra crank being used, clevite 77 bearings with boss 302 rods. I haven't be able to put a bearing in any of the rods yet so I won't know for sure. Glad I got some sort of verification on this though.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Here is a Boss rod I have. The chamfer is definitely bigger on one side. Not by much though, and these rods could go either way without a problem, assuming the bearing isn't chamfered.

BeachMonkey100

forum member
Reaction score
my boss rods have a bigger chamfer on each side of the rod, which is what I was going to face to the cheek of the crank until I saw that there was an offset in the bearing pocket to where there was more offset on one side of the bearing than the other. So the wider gap (offset) will face the cheek and the two smaller gaps will face each other. Not a big problem, just wanted to clarify I had the right way of thinking about these lol.

BeachMonkey100

forum member
Reaction score
talk about digging an old thread back up! while still curious to see what way everyone has been putting these rods into the motors whether the bearing faces one way or the other, I just happened to stumble onto this after reading more in depth of the coyote/boss engine assembly, it said click on "piston" so I had to back track to the actual piston assembly and well there boys was my answer waiting on me the whole time..

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=827&viewfile=Piston.pdf

BeachMonkey100

forum member
Reaction score
I just think I pay to much attention to things when I shouldn't. Or maybe that's a good thing? lol, anyways I found that piston sheet on the service manuals. Took a look at my rods and saw the marks so I am good.

rany4e5y.jpg

zebaqy8u.jpg

So if you take a look at the ford manual for piston assembly, all the rods will face the same direction (towards the front). Meaning to me there isn't any specific direction they must face. Even though I will stuck to the manual :)

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I just assembled mine today. Every one faces the rear! I like to keep things consistent so I did them all the same. I can't see any difference in sides with or without the bearings installed except for the forward markings on the rod.

The bevels and bearing side space look the same.

BeachMonkey100

forum member
Reaction score
I just assembled mine today. Every one faces the rear! I like to keep things consistent so I did them all the same. I can't see any difference in sides with or without the bearings installed except for the forward markings on the rod.

The bevels and bearing side space look the same.

Point being, the first picture with the actual tab (indication mark) will all face the front. Or they could face the rear like yours lol, either way. I don't think it really matters on these since the cranks have inverted journal ends.

By assemble do you mean motor or just the rods/pistons?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Put the rings on the pistons and pistons on the rods. The crank was checked for clearance and installed yesterday.

All that's left is to install the rod/piston combos in the block and fasten them to the crank.

Point being, the first picture with the actual tab (indication mark) will all face the front. Or they could face the rear like yours lol, either way. I don't think it really matters on these since the cranks have inverted journal ends.

By assemble do you mean motor or just the rods/pistons?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back