86's VMP 1.9/Forged Build

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Problems are solving themselves. I bought a house, so the engine build got pushed by one year until the next off season. I'm going to throw in the fresh clutch and flywheel this summer and break them in before I build the engine.

http://www.modmaxracing.com/product_p/man594300c-8.htm

I think I'll order these pistons, and one eyed willy says his modmax rings work great (stainless, though still on the fence about that. I have experience breaking in cast iron rings only.) It appears speed pro hellfire rings are plasma-moly and also good for moderate boost, might be the best choice.

Not sure if I'll get the upgraded wrist pins, may not be a point and will probably just add weight - I think my boss rods and stock crank will be the limiting factor and I'm only pushing 13 or so psi.

Going to burn 94 E15 this summer, run an 85mm pulley on the TVS, the 67mm megabuck throttle body, and incrementally upgrade the intercooling system with a 2013/14 GT500 pump and afco cooler. I have to butcher the Roush intercooler pump harness, so I'll make a custom one for the new pump.

I want to to a dyno pull with my M90 system as is, and the TVS system with the same cooling setup. Will give some idea of how they correlate, the TVS will apparently get me more rwhp with 1-2 psi less boost.

I'll have the low boost TVS setup tuned and running perfectly on the stock engine, drop the built longblock under it, break in the rings, then change the pulley to a 69mm and...

Last edited:

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Incremental update:

Finally learned pricing on FRPP 5.3 block, made a thread about it. Makes it an easy decision to go with that, especially if the 4.6 lasts the summer and I can sell the complete short block.

Got a 82mm pulley, truetrac, and a roush firecracker-spec intercooler instead of the afco. Basically a few bolts away from swapping things over, they are in the mail from Tasca.

I decided I hate mohawk/husky so instead will be burning 91 from the local fuel brewery, or using v-power of the same octane.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
With every cent the dollar loses the 5.3 gets more distant, haha. Going to have to work a lot of OT this year either way.

I got restless and started the cooling project. It's going to be below freezing periodically for the next 2 months, which unfortunately leaves the 2013 GT500 intercooler pump testing to DOB. I don't want to be playing with straight water and then installing coolant over and over to make sure I don't freeze and split everything.

The 2010 Roush heat exchanger has lots of space behind the bumper, but none of the 2010 spec brackets will work unmodified. I'm going to make custom brackets out of probably 1" angle, get everything bent up and formed and then possibly do a little welding at a friend's house.

yIxW2SN.jpg

eTZ8Pba.jpg

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Gz3ZTSG.jpg

rnTTRxV.jpg

Waited out the cold weather to start working on this thing in earnest. Mocked up the blower to see how I'm going to build the PCV system and other connections, halfway done modifying the wiring harness, cleaning everything up. Coolant was leaking from the heater pipe under the intake, and from the intake gaskets. My knock sensor interfered with the blower intake housing, so I need a new one of those as the wiring got pinched.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
The heater pipes are always a pain in the ass, I got good at pulling the intake on mine while chasing coolant leaks. The knock sensors should clear just fine as long as they are in place. Zip ties are your friends when it comes to keeping the wiring from getting pinched.

Nice shiny throttle body there. :snoopy

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Was just bad luck, the driver's sensor was pointed across the valley from the factory. They'll be both pointed backwards once I get the new part.

Those damn rubber hoses never want to release. I just cut the added ones and am going with regular black goodyear 3/4". Used "heavy duty" line last time, just more of a pain in the ass to remove.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
...AN stuff to build my PCV system showed up, should have the lower intake manifold on tonight for the last time, believe it or not it's all been mock up so far.

Halfway through the custom bracket for the 2013 GT500 intercooler pump.

There's no way to get the info out but the 2010 power steering reservoir and feed line work on my car with the 2005-spec cooling system (external thermostat housing,) etc...

No time this weekend for the car, the wiring harness is a lot less colorful now that it's all back in loom, final few bits of tape go on tonight. This post is more a reminder to get some photos up later on...

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I love it when I switch to macro focus and back and my phone starts shooting in potato mode. I also had a great time torquing every intake and blower bolt twice because I forgot to install the PCV bubbler line before putting the intake down for the "final" time. Just too excited to finally have a few hours to work on the car. Had to modify the injector clips to match the Roush 47/52# injectors - bent the little flange up to clear an alignment feature on the injectors. I hate those clips, you probably don't need them. I spent a considerable amount of time scrubbing out the coolant o ring pockets as they featured a bunch of corrosion, and there were minor leaks there and from the short rubber line under the intake. Should be perfect now.

3VGRMpH.jpg

lsLoBGH.jpg

7oBibXs.jpg

COUYuDw.jpg

y63oEYV.jpg

Last edited:

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
00HW1AV.jpg

ARlOAZX.jpg

Pyro and filer came from a racer's estate - he's 8x and on his death bed. Good stories about the guy. I both items for $50. Not sure I'll ever do anything with the Pyro, may give to friend for a hot rod.

A/N is to finish up the PCV/catch can system.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Congrats. Is this the oem 4.6.....or the forged eng ? On the video, their appears to be this high pitched whine, almost sounds like a belt slipping, or it could be my ears. Have you taken it for a rip ? Is that the 85mm pulley on there ? At least you will be able to change pulley's out easier. I think you can drop down to the 82mm...using the same oem idler. Go any smaller, and the idler has to be increased in diam.

Kyle B has TVS-1900 #3...and broke a rod while on the dyno..with 515 rwhp. Don't push your luck with the stock eng. I see on VMP's website he mentions using higher boost on.."low mileage engines". And still higher boost on..."really low mileage engines". Those comments are recent, never saw em b4. I assume he means the pretzel stick rods days are numbered.... like they will eventually succumb to metal fatigue.

Last edited:

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
82 pulley is already on there. _maybe_ 430 rwhp on 91? Engine is still stock, I didn't have the time or money to put the boss rods and forged pistons in for this season - 10 weeks until winter and I'll be right back at it.

Justin has all sorts of interesting theories!! He should have a lot of anecdotal evidence regarding when the engines turn inside out.

The whining seems to be from the blower, I would assume it is the gear drive in the snout, only audible at high idle. Possible I have straight cut gears in this unit. I'm going to have a look in there (check the oil level) since the nose of the car is sky high right now as I change out the front springs for Roush units.

I have only driven the car around the yard and up and down the back alley, Lito just said I could take it for a cruise after I replaced the wbo2 last night and sent him an idle log. I'll go out this afternoon after reassembling the front end - I have to buy o-rings for the steeda strut mounts since the ones they supplied are obviously wrong/too large. Photos to come.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
First few drives on the startup tune are in the bag. IAT's seem higher on the logs but the intercooler coolant is ice cold - might be some air in the exchanger, in my experience the only way this clears is driving the car and heat cycles. Also I had to hack up the heat shroud pretty good which left a large opening into the engine bay, I sealed that up with duct tape for now, see what happens - I'm going to buy some aluminum and weather stripping and make a custom removable shield to bolt into the opening. The steeda CAI that I used with the M90 had no gaps at all, anywhere.

82mm pulley seems to have the same or less boost than the M90 with the 2.49/63mm. Of course! Car feels as fast. Is unbelievably loud with the KR mufflers.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
First few drives on the startup tune are in the bag. IAT's seem higher on the logs but the intercooler coolant is ice cold - might be some air in the exchanger, in my experience the only way this clears is driving the car and heat cycles. Also I had to hack up the heat shroud pretty good which left a large opening into the engine bay, I sealed that up with duct tape for now, see what happens - I'm going to buy some aluminum and weather stripping and make a custom removable shield to bolt into the opening. The steeda CAI that I used with the M90 had no gaps at all, anywhere.

82mm pulley seems to have the same or less boost than the M90 with the 2.49/63mm. Of course! Car feels as fast. Is unbelievably loud with the KR mufflers.

A local buddy installed used KR mufflers on his 2008 NA car a while back..and they sound great. He and myself also have the same JBA ceramic coated LT's and catted H. ( I got a deal on buying two of everything). Except mine was stupid loud + drone @ 1900 rpm. I had to install a pair of M80's..just b4 the axle. Problem solved. I have FRPP FRS-500 muffler's on mine...sounded superb, zero drone with oem exhaust + oem cats, oem H etc. Once the jba stuff went in, it all went to hell...... but M80's are dirt cheap, like $44.00 each @ AM..made from 304 SS.

I thought u put LT's on your bullitt a while back ? Have u taken the oem H section apart yet ? There is supposed to be a disc dead center, in the middle of the H section...with this puny 3/8" hole in the center of the disc. The 3/8" hole as supposed to provide for the .."bullitt sound".
(regular GT's got a 1.5" hole in the same disc). All the aftermarket H sections have no disc at all...just a 2.5" hole. 3/8" hole vs 2.5" hole..... there goes all ur tq with the smaller hole.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Exhaust is all stock except for the cat back and very likely to remain that way - I'm not blowing this thing out the back door and appreciate the upsides of running catalysts.

Everyone at the car meet yesterday said it sounded fantastic.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Data: with VMP 67mm twin throttle body, 113mm frpp cai, and an 82mm pulley, this system gets you 9.5 psi. Stock balancer, stock exhaust with cats.

IAT's are way down after my first runs, seeing less than 100F during pulls which is slightly better than my M90 with the 2.49 could do. I have a much better IC pump/exchanger this go round, though.

Last edited:

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Here is a graph with IAT vs. RPM, sitting in still air after a WOT run vs. driving slowly ahead. Idles at 120, rolling is 110. During a run just over 100F.

DNgChCY.png

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back