Charging issues.

coreystang

forum member
Reaction score
I thought I was on my 2nd dead battery in a year. They tested the battery and charged it and the car started just fine. Tested the alternator and it is good too. The only thing that has changed was a stereo upgrade 2 years ago. Could that be pulling more amps and draining something? What else should I look for?

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah, do a current draw test like this and see if you have excessive draw/short somewhere.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
No, its actually high even though not excessive and should not adversely affect battery life. Car off nothing on (doors shut no lights etc.) max draw on the battery should be around .01-.02 amps so that's 10 times higher than normal still. So still pull fuses and look for a drop to .0X or anything lower. If all the loads inside the car look fine go under hood and pull there too can be slight draw from wiring or components there as well. From there are would clean batter posts and terminals and starter alternator post/terminals etc.

Last edited:

coreystang

forum member
Reaction score
Quick update. So after having the car in a few shops that couldn't figure out the issue I finally took it to a Ford dealership. The issue is that is was very inconsistent. But it got worse. The car was dead on a Saturday and a Sunday a few weeks back. Jumped it off and left it in the garage until I took it to Ford in April 12th of this year. And of course the car would start up fine for them. Come to find out it was a bad SJB. So I thought. Picked the car up on the 17th. The next morning DEAD again! I spent $1,200 for it to do it again. Took it back the next day. The battery did die for them after leaving it over night. They still have the damn car. I'm out of options!!! Going to call and ask for a loaner car until they figure this out. And I'm still out 1,200 for a part that didn't fix the issue!

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Quick update. So after having the car in a few shops that couldn't figure out the issue I finally took it to a Ford dealership. The issue is that is was very inconsistent. But it got worse. The car was dead on a Saturday and a Sunday a few weeks back. Jumped it off and left it in the garage until I took it to Ford in April 12th of this year. And of course the car would start up fine for them. Come to find out it was a bad SJB. So I thought. Picked the car up on the 17th. The next morning DEAD again! I spent $1,200 for it to do it again. Took it back the next day. The battery did die for them after leaving it over night. They still have the damn car. I'm out of options!!! Going to call and ask for a loaner car until they figure this out. And I'm still out 1,200 for a part that didn't fix the issue!

Tell them to refund your $1200 for a mis diagnosed car and take it to Park Citys in Dallas. If you take it there, PM me and Ill get you hooked up with the right guys.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
eWhat were the results of the current drop test and was it done with a fully charged battery? On a side note a faulty alternator can still pass a check and be intermittent. Mine would go from working fine to dying while driving.

Last edited:

07 Boss

Reaction score
I thought I was on my 2nd dead battery in a year. They tested the battery and charged it and the car started just fine. Tested the alternator and it is good too. The only thing that has changed was a stereo upgrade 2 years ago. Could that be pulling more amps and draining something? What else should I look for?

What kind of stereo upgrade?

A bad diode in the alternator will pass your standard autozone battery testing and it will only effect you intermittently.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
^^^ Agreed. If an alternator is generating more than .5vac (500mvac) ripple on a sagging DC output that is not a good thing. And as stated a shorted diode in the rectifier (which will pass AC) may pass a typical load test. An open diode in the rectifier however would produce low DC. With car running 14 vdc +/- .2 and less than .5VAC (500 mvac).

.122 mA current draw is not that much. From a full charge on the average 70 Ah automotive battery it would take 143 hours to draw the battery down 25% of it's stored capacity. The issue still needs to be addressed however. Keep in mind that there is an auxiliary time delay relay in the SJB that keeps certain devices active such as windows and radio after key off until the door is opened. I have measured about the same current as I recall on my 05 before that relay timed out when chasing this problem back before people learned the drain was from the multidisc factory CD unit.

If the alternator voltage checks out, it may be time to research the most recent electrical modification to the car. That being the aftermarket stereo. If third party amplifiers are installed make sure they are shutting off. Pull the fuses on them even so and see if battery drain is reduced. Do the same thing next with the head unit. That will help isolate any problems that may have been created during the third party install. It amazes me how some people today in that industry think they are electronics experts because they can twist wires together and use a crimping tool.

coreystang

forum member
Reaction score
eWhat were the results of the current drop test and was it done with a fully charged battery? On a side note a faulty alternator can still pass a check and be intermittent. Mine would go from working fine to dying while driving.

The car would die over night. But not all the time. I could be wrong but I don't think it's the alternator.

coreystang

forum member
Reaction score
^^^ Agreed. If an alternator is generating more than .5vac (500mvac) ripple on a sagging DC output that is not a good thing. And as stated a shorted diode in the rectifier (which will pass AC) may pass a typical load test. An open diode in the rectifier however would produce low DC. With car running 14 vdc +/- .2 and less than .5VAC (500 mvac).

.122 mA current draw is not that much. From a full charge on the average 70 Ah automotive battery it would take 143 hours to draw the battery down 25% of it's stored capacity. The issue still needs to be addressed however. Keep in mind that there is an auxiliary time delay relay in the SJB that keeps certain devices active such as windows and radio after key off until the door is opened. I have measured about the same current as I recall on my 05 before that relay timed out when chasing this problem back before people learned the drain was from the multidisc factory CD unit.

If the alternator voltage checks out, it may be time to research the most recent electrical modification to the car. That being the aftermarket stereo. If third party amplifiers are installed make sure they are shutting off. Pull the fuses on them even so and see if battery drain is reduced. Do the same thing next with the head unit. That will help isolate any problems that may have been created during the third party install. It amazes me how some people today in that industry think they are electronics experts because they can twist wires together and use a crimping tool.

No aftermarket amps were installed. The fuse for the aftermarket radio was pulled and it would still die overnight.

coreystang

forum member
Reaction score
They want me to come and pick the car up. The battery hasn't drained since they have had it. Maybe they reseated and cleaned connections?? Doesn't sound very assuring. They said "if" it does it again to call them and dont jump it off and they will tow it......ughhh

coreystang

forum member
Reaction score
Yet another update on this damn car!
6-15-17 dead battery. Jumped it off
6-17-17 car was hesitant to start. Went ahead and replaced battery.
7-10-17 dead battery. Jumped it off.
7-23-17 same as above.
7-24-17 same as above.
Ford had now had my car for two weeks straight. They are baffled and have no F'ing idea what's wrong with it. I am so damn frustrated. They won't give me a loaner car. I'm not in a position to buy a new mustang either. Any ideas what the hell is going on???

06monera96

LeShawno
Reaction score
Did you perhaps have any LED's installed on your car?
They pull minimal current, but some actually stay on just a little so you can't see it but still draw current.
Another thing could be a stuck relay somewhere. fuel pump or high / low fan!

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
I suggest sitting down and having a calm and professional meeting with the service manager to find out what all of your options for getting additional service support from Ford are since they are struggling. I could go into my $9600 horror story on my 2002 by I won't bother you with that. As for loaner? I received no such thing for any car I had that went in for service outside of warranty, including the 2002 that was there for over 2 months.

coreystang

forum member
Reaction score
Did you perhaps have any LED's installed on your car?
They pull minimal current, but some actually stay on just a little so you can't see it but still draw current.
Another thing could be a stuck relay somewhere. fuel pump or high / low fan!

Nope no LED's. That's the problem is finding out what relay is stuck.

coreystang

forum member
Reaction score
I suggest sitting down and having a calm and professional meeting with the service manager to find out what all of your options for getting additional service support from Ford are since they are struggling. I could go into my $9600 horror story on my 2002 by I won't bother you with that. As for loaner? I received no such thing for any car I had that went in for service outside of warranty, including the 2002 that was there for over 2 months.
That is probably what's next. I am also considering taking it to Dallas where the mechanics are better than Shreveport. They are having the mechanic drive it home for a few days hoping he will notice anything different. Or that maybe it will die for him too.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back