My new house

BLACK-MACHINE

living my 2nd child hood
Reaction score
ground breaking 12/28/15. 3000 SQ feet 3 bed 2 bath, no pool opted for oversized 2 car garage and bigger lanai
11231325_10206618543801302_5394095026516088771_n.jpg

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Haha, looks awesome Stephan!

Shaggy

Head PooBaa of the Asylum
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
guest room will be made up.

Ha ha. You have any plans you can post up? I always like checking them out. Also, make sure you have the right amount of coax ports, plugins, and also put in cat 5 or 6 throughout the whole house and homerun it into your office/decent sized closet. Wish I did that 13 yrs when I started on my house.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
IMO everything will be wireless within 5 years. My house had cable wires running everywhere and I yanked out 90% of them already.

BLACK-MACHINE

living my 2nd child hood
Reaction score
Ha ha. You have any plans you can post up? I always like checking them out. Also, make sure you have the right amount of coax ports, plugins, and also put in cat 5 or 6 throughout the whole house and homerun it into your office/decent sized closet. Wish I did that 13 yrs when I start on my house.

did all that when i had my design session,, everything is extra.

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
did all that when i had my design session,, everything is extra.

Of course. Always cost more but you will be happy you did!

Skwerl, yea wireless will get better and better, but it will never be as good as straight wired, not for a good while. They only time I would use wireless is for my phone, tablet, and laptops. The speed you get through wired is so much more reliable and faster. I would hook up my tvs, computers, gaming consoles, alarm system, cameras, and so on, the items that don't move. Those are what I would want a straight wired cat5 or 6 connection.

What wires did you yank out? I understand your wiring for power wasn't the best in your new house, did you yank more then that?

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
i agree with the cat 5/6, also look into some sort of home entertainment, ceiling mounted speakers and such. also, dont skimp on the bathroom. a few body sprayers in the shower go a long way

Premium08

Need to Get Another Pony
Reaction score
Does the 3000sq ft include the garage? Otherwise a 3000 sqft 3bed 2bath has some big fucking bedrooms. Congratulations!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
i agree with the cat 5/6, also look into some sort of home entertainment, ceiling mounted speakers and such. also, dont skimp on the bathroom. a few body sprayers in the shower go a long way

Yea, that's not a bad idea to. Get it all in before the walls go up because if you decide you want them later, it will cost much more.

Grabber5.sl0w

forum member
Reaction score
A drain in the garage would be nice as well. Not as nice in warmer climates, but in colder ones you can wash your vehicle in your nice warm garage.

CAT 6 in a home is a waste, especially if you are running the cable long distances, just go 5e. At the very least run cat to parts of the house you think wireless is going to have a hard time reaching like the garage, basement etc. Also a cat drop behind main TV's in the house wouldn't be a bad idea. Streaming on Netflix, HBO Go etc, is always better over the wire even with an 802.11ac router.

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Lots of opinions here on network wiring and I will share mine. I would definitely go with cat6 everywhere you know you need Internet/Intranet. The cost of retrofitting is huge compared to doing it right from the beginning. Wi-Fi is ok for portable devices but it can not match 1 Gig Ethernet for streaming video. Keep in mind for example, while limited now Netflix is working on 4K content.

Grabber5.sl0w

forum member
Reaction score
Lots of opinions here on network wiring and I will share mine. I would definitely go with cat6 everywhere you know you need Internet/Intranet. The cost of retrofitting is huge compared to doing it right from the beginning. Wi-Fi is ok for portable devices but it can not match 1 Gig Ethernet for streaming video. Keep in mind for example, while limited now Netflix is working on 4K content.

Either way, I seriously doubt he's getting 1 Gig through the ISP. 10Gig Cat6 would be way overkill unless you are transferring huge files constantly between devices. It's also important to remember Cat6 is only rated to 160 feet, anything after that it will start to degrade the signal to about 5e speeds anyway. Why would you recommend Cat 6 for a home? Not saying you're wrong, everyone has their reasons just want hear yours.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back