AnotherS197GT's Coyote Swap: The Valve Dropper Special

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
Good luck Dylan! I have never done an engine swap, and I admire someone willing to take on a project like this, especially at home in his own garage.

I'm sure the end result will be awesome!

One question, how are you going to make this happen for $4K? I thought that used Coyote engines alone were close to that.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I have a blowfish bracket, will review upon install but I am not expecting it to heal my burned up blocker rings. The GT500 clutch master might help ease the load as I'm hoping it makes for a more authoritative clutch disengagement.

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
Second gear grinds? You should get lessons on how to drive from Kelly. I bet he never grinds or misses a shift. :p

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Good luck Dylan! I have never done an engine swap, and I admire someone willing to take on a project like this, especially at home in his own garage.

I'm sure the end result will be awesome!

One question, how are you going to make this happen for $4K? I thought that used Coyote engines alone were close to that.

Truck engines are where it's at. I paid $2500 for my engine and you can find them for $2000-4000, depending on the seller. Mine is complete from pan to TB. The differences are pretty minor, intake cam, oil pump, exhaust manifolds, timing cover, and 10.5:1 compression vs. 11:1.

I have the correct exhaust coming, I needed a new TC for the PBH bracket kit anyway, and a few other odds and ends. Oil pumps are under $100 if you're inclined to change it. Stock used cams are cheap. I wasn't willing to spend the extra $2000-3000 minimum for .5 compression. I don't think it will make a big difference. I will also be leaving the truck intake cam for muh torkz and seeing how it does. I'm over 4K right now according to my spread sheet, but not by much. Once I start selling some 3V parts and sell my old engine, I should be into the swap for way under 4K.

I have a blowfish bracket, will review upon install but I am not expecting it to heal my burned up blocker rings. The GT500 clutch master might help ease the load as I'm hoping it makes for a more authoritative clutch disengagement.

Yeah, I'm thinking mine is partially because of the remote design even though I have an MGW and partially because the trans has 155k on it. I figured it was worth a shot. If I don't like it, I can sell it.

Second gear grinds? You should get lessons on how to drive from Kelly. I bet he never grinds or misses a shift. :p

Kelly has been playing with sticks for a lot longer than I have. It's just automatic to him now.

The engine showed up, there was a broken TB plug and VCT solenoid. Disappointing, but used TBs are all over the place and I'm sure I can get a VCT solenoid cheap and fast. I will be contacting the seller to see if they will cover at least the solenoid.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
The eagle has landed!

28017468583_6651e5e247_h.jpg

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
This is my plan if my 4.6 turns inside out - sell all of the blower crap to some schmuck and put a 5.0 in there. Probably a 2015+ unit as they have all the juice! Excited to see the results - I think getting the wiring done will take you some time. I'd rather see it done slowly and have no gremlins than to try to fire it up in a weekend, leave that for the circus masters on television!

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
DANg to the dangitty dang dang.

I can't WAIT to take this thing to teh track.

Dylan can do all the road coursing..... But at the drag strip, we going to have some friendly competition.

Maybe we can even have a poll on here about what times each of us will run. What ya say Lackey?

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
DANg to the dangitty dang dang.

I can't WAIT to take this thing to teh track.

Dylan can do all the road coursing..... But at the drag strip, we going to have some friendly competition.

Maybe we can even have a poll on here about what times each of us will run. What ya say Lackey?

Ima paddle ya ass.

Take your blower off and let's do it!

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Muh 3Vs.

Just a few small things happened tonight. The exhaust didn't show up in time and we accidentally machined the cover wrong. I was a dumb dumb and looked at the wrong installation instructions before I was awake. So now we have to fix the cover tomorrow and we'll be able to get the motor mocked up in the car and start wiring.

jake_zx2

forum member
Reaction score
Subbed! Good luck with the build! I saw your post in the coyote Facebook page, and it brought me here. Are you really trying to keep the factory cluster in this? From what I've read in here, wiring for that is a nightmare

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Thanks! I sure am, there is a lot of wiring regardless. The 3V cluster only relies the PCM for 3 things: RPM, speedo, and ECT.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Engine is in and the wiring has started. Major props to my friend for helping me with this undertaking. He is much better with the wiring than I am. That being said, the wiring is more time consuming than complicated. If you have half a brain, I'm sure you can figure it out. Lots of re-pinning and some harness making. The Coyote runs a lot of sensors through the body harness that the 3V runs through the engine harness.

28572818852_cf9c8786ca_h.jpg

28601752901_12fc0ebb70_h.jpg

28573775412_bb0acd76d2_h.jpg

I now see why people do not put together guides for this. It would take so long to actually write it out.

I am annoyed right now at the clips for the coil packs. I had 7 on this engine and now I am down to 3. It appears that 4 just evaporated and I can't find them. Available only through Ford with the purchase of a pigtail.

A John In NJ

Rice Cooker
Reaction score
This build is a dream come true. If you don't run into too many problems along the way then I will have this done as well. Good luck!!

07TR

forum member
Reaction score
This is awesome and very impressive I can't wait to see it running

themoose06

forum member
Reaction score
In on the results. Looks like an epic build! I bet 5.0 swaps are going to become a lot more common in the next few years as they become cheaper.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back