Not your typical broken plug...

Uvangoey

Reaction score
New member here, and I hate introducing myself with a problem right off the bat. But, it came time to change the plugs, and after hours of reading, I felt confident enough to tackle this task. Long story short. 3 came out perfect.. 2 left the porcelain and the metal behind. I rented the extractor set because I knew this wouldn't go smooth. I got those two out. Now I have 2 that the theaded section threaded out, but left the rest of the plug. I think I'm just going to tighten those back down until I can get the proper tool or figure out another way to remove them. The last one. Well that's where I'm stuck. It's hard to explain. So I attached a photo. The threaded metal section broke 3 threads down from the top leaving the plug an the rest of the threads in the block. It's there any DIY ways to get that out, or does it really need to go-to the shop?

And when removing, I used kril oil, soaked, slowly torqued them out with a torque wrench set at 35lbs so I have no idea how the last one broke like it did. I'm so lost, and this Stang is my daily....

Attachments

• 1501366878263130521469.jpg
    1501366878263130521469.jpg
    501.1 KB · Views: 17

datmbn

forum member
Reaction score
"2 that the theaded section threaded out, but left the rest of the plug" just find an pipe that fits over the porslin and brake it, then you can use the tool to extrakt the rest.

fore the one with broken threds, the only thing I can Think of is to hammer down an torx bit that is one size bigger than the hole in the thred.

sorry fore the bad English

regards Mats

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You need a pair of long reach hose gripper pliers similar to these.
http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/tools/Pliers-Vise/Pliers10/11-hose-gripper-pliers-set-3703-3-piece-heat-treated?infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=CjwKCAjw8IXMBRB8EiwAg9fgMGgv9UntBni6kRwHVNcK4W0rQBqTn43LAPZaXDkeJ3eOQp9OaA_FvhoCZwUQAvD_BwE
I'm currently on vacation so I don't know which exact part number mine are.
you reach in and snap the ceramic then pull it out along with the electrode.
You can then try one of these 2 options.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-Pipe-Nipple-Extractor-Set-HDX167/204218641
http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-Internal-Pipe-Wrench-Set-HDX150/204218626

Justfbilly

Reaction score
Try an locate the Matco tool PN: BRP65. Its a reverse threaded extractor set that makes removing the plugs out of the 4.6 and 5.4 motors very simple. Another tip is before you remove the plugs get the motor hot and then spray Carb celaner around the plugs. The heat draws the cleaner down into the threads and helps to brake the carbon loose and makes the plug easier to remove.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Try an locate the Matco tool PN: BRP65. Its a reverse threaded extractor set that makes removing the plugs out of the 4.6 and 5.4 motors very simple. Another tip is before you remove the plugs get the motor hot and then spray Carb celaner around the plugs. The heat draws the cleaner down into the threads and helps to brake the carbon loose and makes the plug easier to remove.

However it's not the threads, but rather the ground electrode shields that seize up from carbon build up..

Justfbilly

Reaction score
However it's not the threads, but rather the ground electrode shields that seize up from carbon build up..

The Carb spray gets down through the threads and then breaks up the carbon. We have a fleet of 4.6 and 5.4`s where I work and this is a very conmmon issue with the 2 peice plugs and using the carb spray helps get the plugs out wiht out breaking them.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
I follow the very same procedure.. Anyhow I've been pretty fortunate at least up to this point that none of my plugs have broken :wink:

rickf

forum member
Reaction score
It was the threads on his plug. Look closely at the pictures.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
If you follow the recommended TSB procedure from Ford.. The TSB bulletin clearly states to use "high temp" nickel anti-seize only on the ground electrode shields and not on the threads ! Therefore I did look closely at the pics :loudlol:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back