New motor mounts - S197 3V

ponys197

forum member
Reaction score
I ordered a set of LTH and mid pipe and I am looking to replace the motor mounts at the same time since I will have to jack the motor up to swap the headers anyways.

Any good recommendations? It's a 2006 GT 3V auto car.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Only real options you have are factory replacements- if you can even still get them? And polyurethane mounts.

I elected to keep my stock mounts when I installed my headers and they've been fine.

ponys197

forum member
Reaction score
Right I know that. I was looking for recommendations on the different polyurethane mounts as from what I have read , they are stiffer and prevent flex.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Right I know that. I was looking for recommendations on the different polyurethane mounts as from what I have read , they are stiffer and prevent flex.

Polyurethane is polyurethane...:shrug:

ponys197

forum member
Reaction score
Okay so let me be specific then - there is the Steeda mount that has 2 different bushings - one stiffer than the other , the BMR mount and the UPR mount.

I would like to hear if anyone has used the BMR or Steeda one and if what you experienced in terms of noise / vibration - potential noise or interference with the knock sensor.

Is that a better formed question?

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
I have the poly ones they sell on american muscle. Is prothane a brand? Anyway Im pretty sure those are what I bought, nothing fancy and Ive had no problems. There is more nvh since they are poly and not rubber. I noticed more vibration at idle and slightly more when banging gears but its to be expected. We drive mustangs not mercedes.

travelers

Reaction score
I have the Steeda Red mounts in my car and don't notice any N/V. Good time to do it.....

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
I have the poly ones they sell on american muscle. Is prothane a brand? Anyway Im pretty sure those are what I bought, nothing fancy and Ive had no problems. There is more nvh since they are poly and not rubber. I noticed more vibration at idle and slightly more when banging gears but its to be expected. We drive mustangs not mercedes.

The issue he is referring to is not NVH from a level of comfort. It is with reference to a phenomenon called FALSE KNOCK. FALSE KNOCK is a condition that can be induced into the knock sensors mounted in the valley of the 4.6 3V from extreme NVH from running aftermarket suspension parts or engine mounts that don't isolate the engine properly from outside noise. The banging can be misinterpreted by the knock sensor if within the frequency range the knock sensors are tuned to which would cause the PCM to pull timing though actual engine knock is not present.

Hence the reason for the OP's inquiry.

IF you wish to learn more about False Knock Google it or buy Greg Banish's book "Engine Management Advanced Tuning" to be better informed on this condition that can arise from solid engine mounts and solid suspension aftermarket components upon occasion.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Oh ok I misread that. I thought he was asking about both nvh and false knock. My bad.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
^^^ Was just clearing the air for a better thread response. I know the OP personally.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
I understand, I dont want to clutter up anyones thread with my dumb ass rambling lol.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
I understand, I dont want to clutter up anyones thread with my dumb ass rambling lol.

I wouldn't call it that. You were only trying to help. I was only trying to provide insight to keep the thread on track. Until a few months back I would have never known about "False Knock". Took getting into tuning theory/basics before I knew that phenomenon could even exist. I heard guys talk about knock sensors prior to that but simply knew they existed and that they sensed knock. I had no idea until now what function they directly provided and how they were used within a tune. And I am still learning even after reading and re reading the book I was referenced to read by Bruce on this site.

Some of the biggest think tanks in the world resolve issues through a process called "brainstorming". A group is given a problem. They are then to share in turn the first thing that comes to mind. They may or may not have full comprehension of the technology or process behind the problem. But to work it requires zero inhibition from any member holding anything back regardless of how crazy the statement may sound. All too often one's comment or feedback will jog the thought process of another and so on.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
I wouldn't call it that. You were only trying to help. I was only trying to provide insight to keep the thread on track. Until a few months back I would have never known about "False Knock". Took getting into tuning theory/basics before I knew that phenomenon could even exist. I heard guys talk about knock sensors prior to that but simply knew they existed and that they sensed knock. I had no idea until now what function they directly provided and how they were used within a tune. And I am still learning even after reading and re reading the book I was referenced to read by Bruce on this site.

Some of the biggest think tanks in the world resolve issues through a process called "brainstorming". A group is given a problem. They are then to share in turn the first thing that comes to mind. They may or may not have full comprehension of the technology or process behind the problem. But to work it requires zero inhibition from any member holding anything back regardless of how crazy the statement may sound. All too often one's comment or feedback will jog the thought process of another and so on.

I appreciate it, I didnt take it that way. In general though I tend to ramble because apparently putting together concise sentences are too hard lol.

Until op mentioned it Ive never heard of false knock either but I can understand it. And Id like to add that Ive had those bullet type poly mounts like the ones a few posts above for over 40k miles with no problems. There was one time I was getting on it from a stop and it did buck a few times pretty bad which, as I look back, could have been from false knock. But whos to say. It was a one time only deal.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
He's (OP) is braver than me. He is doing his own tuning now after reading the same book. As well his car is paid off where as mine is still partly the banks. So that makes me apprehensive to risk my hand at tuning my own in the event I would grenade the thing and then be left with an oversized paperweight I am still making payments on. LOL! At least I am better capable of relating to my tuner when working through a tune concern now.

ponys197

forum member
Reaction score
I got tired of always feeling like there was still performance left in the car with email or canned tunes.

I always run my tune / changes by a tuner I trust before I make large revisions / changes to them.

Plus I like the process of figuring out how to get something working the way I want it.

Still trying to glean info / pick people's brain on transmission tuning as I think I have some things in there I need to modify but those secrets are kept locked down tighter than nuclear launch codes so it's a slow process.

travelers

Reaction score

That's interesting about the false knock. I never noticed that on my '07. I had the steeda motor mounts, CHE trans torque straps, alum drive shaft and other mods.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I had these on my car until I swapped in a K-member. These were too tall to use. Never gave me any issues. I think I gave them to someone on here.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back