Looking for more low end power on a 2014 GT

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2014 GT automatic and have an airaid cold air intake, Kooks side exhaust, Ford Racing quad tip axelbacks by Borla, 3:73 rear end gears and a Bama tune. I dynoed the car and was extremely disappointed, she dynoed a best 361 Rear wheel horsepower. The car is mostly for show and I never took it to the track yet. I really don't plan on racing it much but would like to see what she could do in the qtr. mile. I don't want to put a supercharger, or open the motor, no nitrous or even a Boss 302 intake. I want to get 400 rear wheel horse power or more. I was thinking long tube headers with high Flo cats but heard I might lose low end torque by putting long tube headers. What do you all recommend in an add on to get me 40 more rear wheel hp without losing low end torque. No Boss 302 intake, nitrous, supercharger or camshaft.

Ditch the CAI and put the stock airbox back in. Get a big stall converter (Circle-D 4C, 5C, or bigger). Most importantly, get a proper tune. My '14 GT automatic is putting down more than 400 rwhp with the very short list of mods in my signature. It has trapped just a few tenths shy of 120 mph in 1/4 mile a few times and 118-119 often. That's with a race weight of nearly 3700+ lbs!!!

spectreman

forum member
Reaction score
The old ones got replaced with new ones who spend most of their time at busier forums. This place is long past it's heyday.

It ain't just here. I recently tried to contact AM site reps on 3 different Stang sites for the discount code. I PM'd and emailed them. None responded. I still ordered the stuff from AM cuz they had the lowest prices but once again, customer service from AM failed to appear.

46addict

Reaction score
Who's the biggest/most popular currently? curious, I thought this was the biggest mustang forum on the net?
It seems the S197 crowd moved on to other cars, but cars find new owners and a percentage of them end up as new users on the forums. Even with the lighter traffic, IMO this is still the best forum. Notwithstanding Photobucket holding people's pictures hostage and subsequently ruining some tech threads, there is a ton of knowledgeable people here and posts from the past that helped me make better decisions.

For quantity over quality, the FB S197 group has a ton of traffic.

For Mustangs in general (not limited to S197s), I like AFM, and Mustang Evolution seems to come up a lot in Google searches. But this place is still my favorite.

Ditch the CAI and put the stock airbox back in. Get a big stall converter (Circle-D 4C, 5C, or bigger). Most importantly, get a proper tune. My '14 GT automatic is putting down more than 400 rwhp with the very short list of mods in my signature. It has trapped just a few tenths shy of 120 mph in 1/4 mile a few times and 118-119 often. That's with a race weight of nearly 3700+ lbs!!!
So you're making 400+ with just a tune and an O/R H? I'm impressed.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

4.10 is a lot of gear for the A6.

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It seems the S197 crowd moved on to other cars, but cars find new owners and a percentage of them end up as new users on the forums. Even with the lighter traffic, IMO this is still the best forum. Notwithstanding Photobucket holding people's pictures hostage and subsequently ruining some tech threads, there is a ton of knowledgeable people here and posts from the past that helped me make better decisions.

For quantity over quality, the FB S197 group has a ton of traffic.

For Mustangs in general (not limited to S197s), I like AFM, and Mustang Evolution seems to come up a lot in Google searches. But this place is still my favorite.

So you're making 400+ with just a tune and an O/R H? I'm impressed.
Thanks for the feedback. I also really like this place. I have been a member on many forums of various topics....this form is different....in a good way.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I also really like this place. I have been a member on many forums of various topics....this form is different....in a good way.

We have a low tolerance for bullshit. :sunot:

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
Dyno numbers mean nothing, I have had a dyno tune done on a mustang dyno. My numbers are only 367, but I picked up more power over Ford Procal tune (don't remember exactly so don't want to quote BS numbers) and good gains through the curve. What matters with my not impressive 367 WHP, I went from a 12.8 to a 12.4 but more importantly 2 MPH. At 114 MPH I have enough to get into the high 11s. I need more seat time and more time to make it to the track.

You can see in my signature what I have done basically

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
4.10 is a lot of gear for the A6.

Perhaps for some people, but I really like the 4.10's in this car, especially on the street for "normal" driving. Also, many people think a 5,000 rpm stall converter is too much, but I love ripping right into the meat of the powerband at wide open throttle.

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
Perhaps for some people, but I really like the 4.10's in this car, especially on the street for "normal" driving. Also, many people think a 5,000 rpm stall converter is too much, but I love ripping right into the meat of the powerband at wide open throttle.
I agree on the stall for sure, Stall that puppy up!!! I'm still happy with my 5C after the blower install!

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
LT's+ high flow cats + a new tune (like 93.... or 91 if that's all u have available) will provide for plenty of low + mid range grunt. Then you will get your 400 rwhp on the automatic. That's one mod that actually does something. For street use, use an H.

Phil

forum member
Reaction score
Exactly, once you are past that 1st gear!! And so far I like my Bama tune.

WJBertrand

forum member
Reaction score
The Ford Racing Products Pro-Cal tune claims to add 60 ft/lb of torque at 1500 RPM (only 9 ft/lb net add) but you can really feel the additional grunt down low (need to add this to my sig line it appears). Thing is, this tune is intended for a otherwise stock engine so it may not work that well with your mods. It only adds net 16 horsepower but I wonder if the torque curve of the FRPP tune on a stock engine would actually be meatier than your set up?

Last edited:

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The Ford Racing Products Pro-Cal tune claims to add 60 ft/lb of torque at 1500 RPM (only 9 ft/lb net add) but you can really feel the additional grunt down low (need to add this to my sig line it appears). Thing is, this tune is intended for a otherwise stock engine so it may not work that well with your mods. It only adds net 16 horsepower but I wonder if the torque curve of the FRPP tune on a stock engine would actually be meatier than your set up?

I noticed a huge difference in low-end power (as low as 1,500 RPM) with the FRPP Pro Cal tune. Only other power mods were cat-back exhaust and an AEM intake.

Yes, you can get more power from other tunes, but I wanted a safe tune that wouldn't void the factory warranty I had at the time.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I have a 2014 GT automatic and have an airaid cold air intake, Kooks side exhaust, Ford Racing quad tip axelbacks by Borla, 3:73 rear end gears and a Bama tune. I dynoed the car and was extremely disappointed, she dynoed a best 361 Rear wheel horsepower. The car is mostly for show and I never took it to the track yet. I really don't plan on racing it much but would like to see what she could do in the qtr. mile. I don't want to put a supercharger, or open the motor, no nitrous or even a Boss 302 intake. I want to get 400 rear wheel horse power or more. I was thinking long tube headers with high Flo cats but heard I might lose low end torque by putting long tube headers. What do you all recommend in an add on to get me 40 more rear wheel hp without losing low end torque. No Boss 302 intake, nitrous, supercharger or camshaft.

361 rwhp / .8 = 451.25 crank hp. I'd say that's damned good for the minimal mods you have.

If you had LT's + high flow cats added to the mix, it would be 400 rwhp and 500 crank hp. Plus bucket loads of more tq from IDLE...right up to almost wot. I used JBA LT's, titanium ceramic coated Stainless steel... + mating high flow catted H on my 2010, 3V.

Here's what I would use on a 2014 GT. http://www.jbaheaders.com/detail_long_tubeV.asp?id=6685SJT These are 1 7/8" primaries + 3" collector.

And the mating catted H. http://www.jbaheaders.com/detail_mid_pipesV.asp?id=6686SHC These use a 3" system..to mate with the above 3" collector's from the LT's.

Besides a huge increase in TQ, they will also reduce your underhood temps by a bunch. That's from a combo of the JBA high flow cats being relocated to beneath the car, instead of at base of eng bay...and the use of the titanium ceramic coated LT's, primaries, and integral collector. They come ceramic coated inside and out. I can put my fingers pushed down hard on any of the 8 primaries, after having the blower on, 1 block from the house. The ceramic holds the heat inside the tubes, instead of cooking the eng bay. The theory is... the hotter the exhaust gases are inside the ceramic coated tubing, the faster they will flow. The theory is sound.

Both the oem cats and JBA high flow cats run hot at WOT, like 1800-1900 deg F @ WOT, if the aeroforce digital gauges are to believed. That much heat at the base of the eng bay with oem cats just cooks the eng bay.
The JBA catted H section places the high flow cats just aft of the new mating LT's. The high flow cats are bigger diam than oem, but shorter in length. With its bigger internal cross sectional area, they flow faster, with less restriction, more parallel paths.

The finish on the Titanium ceramic coated headers is battleship grey. They are also rated at aprx 100-200 deg F higher than the slightly cheaper priced silver ceramic coated LT's. They come with all hardware, including new gaskets. Don't ever re-use old gaskets.

But you require a proper tune ( 91 /93 or both) with this install. At that point, you are in for a rude awakening. Regardless of LT brand, install new eng mounts at the same time. The steeda eng mounts allow for a stock eng height, or 1/4 - 1/2 - 3/4" eng height reduction. I used the 1/4" reduction..which allowed for more clearance between my Roush CAI tube + Steeda STB above it. Get too low, and the #8 primary can hit the steering shaft.

Last edited:

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
361 rwhp / .8 = 451.25 crank hp. I'd say that's damned good for the minimal mods you have.

If you had LT's + high flow cats added to the mix, it would be 400 rwhp and 500 crank hp. Plus bucket loads of more tq from IDLE...right up to almost wot. I used JBA LT's, titanium ceramic coated Stainless steel... + mating high flow catted H on my 2010, 3V.

Here's what I would use on a 2014 GT. http://www.jbaheaders.com/detail_long_tubeV.asp?id=6685SJT These are 1 7/8" primaries + 3" collector.

And the mating catted H. http://www.jbaheaders.com/detail_mid_pipesV.asp?id=6686SHC These use a 3" system..to mate with the above 3" collector's from the LT's.

Besides a huge increase in TQ, they will also reduce your underhood temps by a bunch. That's from a combo of the JBA high flow cats being relocated to beneath the car, instead of at base of eng bay...and the use of the titanium ceramic coated LT's, primaries, and integral collector. They come ceramic coated inside and out. I can put my fingers pushed down hard on any of the 8 primaries, after having the blower on, 1 block from the house. The ceramic holds the heat inside the tubes, instead of cooking the eng bay. The theory is... the hotter the exhaust gases are inside the ceramic coated tubing, the faster they will flow. The theory is sound.

Both the oem cats and JBA high flow cats run hot at WOT, like 1800-1900 deg F @ WOT, if the aeroforce digital gauges are to believed. That much heat at the base of the eng bay with oem cats just cooks the eng bay.
The JBA catted H section places the high flow cats just aft of the new mating LT's. The high flow cats are bigger diam than oem, but shorter in length. With its bigger internal cross sectional area, they flow faster, with less restriction, more parallel paths.

The finish on the Titanium ceramic coated headers is battleship grey. They are also rated at aprx 100-200 deg F higher than the slightly cheaper priced silver ceramic coated LT's. They come with all hardware, including new gaskets. Don't ever re-use old gaskets.

But you require a proper tune ( 91 /93 or both) with this install. At that point, you are in for a rude awakening. Regardless of LT brand, install new eng mounts at the same time. The steeda eng mounts allow for a stock eng height, or 1/4 - 1/2 - 3/4" eng height reduction. I used the 1/4" reduction..which allowed for more clearance between my Roush CAI tube + Steeda STB above it. Get too low, and the #8 primary can hit the steering shaft.
You are really making me want to do a similar setup on my 08.....currently I have a no cat x pipes, cmdp, and a VMP tune. One of those tunes is for 100 octane AvGas "100LL". The thing runs GOOD. I am collecting parts right now for a DOB gt450 kit....but I might make a diversion for now and get a header setup like yours!. Also I have a AEM uego wideband in the box as I still need to send some datalogs to VMP.....but I think they might have nailed it right off the bat. It would save me some money to throw those LTs on a then send the datalogs.

So if you had to do it over again, what would be your setup for a 3v? You have some serious exhaust product knowledge brother! Lay it on me.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back