Get rid of your 3valve it'll never be fast!!!

sprchrgd s197

YOU CANT HANDLE THE TRUTH
Reaction score
Yep, so today this is what I was told by a race shop owner who now has a fast coyote. Yeah, Yeah, I know coyotes are brutal. But him and some others saying that makes me not want one and keep my current car. So now I want to keep my 3V and (which I was anyway) show him they can still be 8-9 second cars. Now I know all about the coyotes and how technology has put them on another level. But what he said is like people saying a 2V can't be fast and we all know that's not true. So what I'll spend a little more money but in the grand scheme of things it's all the same. So anyway now the war begins!!

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Seems like a serious 3v turbo build would make some great power.

Chevykiller made a lot with his 3v. Wish I could remember how much.

sprchrgd s197

Reaction score
Yeah, I plan on selling the Paxton and going turbo. Change the bottom end and go auto. Less than 5k on the bottom end from MMR. Car is paid for so I'm free to do whatever.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
Anything can be made to go fast - it's all a matter of how much you want to spend. Starting with a Coyote certainly gives you a big power headstart over your 3V, but you have a financial headstart with your 3V being paid off already. My '07 GT automatic had a basic Vortech V2 supercharger. My naturally aspirated '14 GT automatic is more powerful and quicker in the 1/4 mile with just a few well-selected mods, but sometimes I miss that 3V.

Last edited:

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
A friend has a Saleen-supercharged '06 GT and loves it.
Car has 100k on it, has been supercharged for about 70k of that, puts down about 440rwhp through the stock 5-spd auto and is damn fast. Certainly faster than the numbers might suggest.
He also has an '04 Cobra with about 500 rwhp, loves that too.
He says Ford admitted at one point that the 4.6 3V block is the strongest 4.6 block that Ford's built, so just changing the rotating assembly would net somebody a pretty bulletproof set-up.
He actually plans on doing that and cranking up the boost, aiming for 600+ rwhp.
He's built countless engines, installed countless blowers/cams/whatever, knows the 3V and Cobra engines inside and out. I look forward to his build.
And yes, it's already a fast 3V, lol

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That shop owner is just Coyote-drunk. He has a new toy and is enamored with the newness and power possibilities of the Coyote. It is an amazing engine with crazy capabilities, but it doesn't erase the abilities of older engines.

sprchrgd s197

Reaction score
Yeah, Gabe I already have a built motor from mmr. 1000hp 5.0 stroker. When I went to get it tuned it made waay too much boost on pump. Like 24lbs. So they stopped the pull at like 3500 rpm and it made 560 rhwp and 550 tq. Pulleys were too small they said. So I took it home with the intentions of switching them. But it's sat because at the time I was building a new business I started so it wasn't a top priority anymore. But now I'm ready to finish it.

SpecOps13

3rd Childhood Thing
Reaction score
I don't go to the track and I live in a heavily populated area of Florida. Traffic here is horrendous. My 3 valve does just fine, it's fast enough to thrill the Grandkids and slow enough to keep me out of too much trouble. The guys at Full Throttle want to add Nitrous or Turbo it but for the number of times I actually end up at a light with a worthy competitor? About 1 out of a thousand times.... I can deal with losing to a 6 or 7 Hundred horsepower car.

I love the my 05 and to get much more out of it ??? A low mileage 05 is really worth 11 or 12,000 no matter what I do to it. I could spend the money and never see it again.

The few mods I have put it in the high 12's low 13's by GPS Program. Guess I'm getting old???

Dave

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
I just don't get the Yote fanboi thing. They're fantastic stock compared to a 3v, duh. But when you start adding boost pretty much ever Yote advantage disappears. Boost is the great equalizer.

sprchrgd s197

Reaction score
SpecOps13, you're not getting old just realize that racing on the street isn't safe. Plus the grandkids think a 200hp car is fast. Lol!

Yeah, I do love the 'Yotes but you're right about the fanboy thing Departmen of Boost. Like you said boost is an great equalizer. Even when they're boosted. I do have boost for sure. Just some more tweaking and I'll put down some serious power.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I just don't get the Yote fanboi thing. They're fantastic stock compared to a 3v, duh. But when you start adding boost pretty much ever Yote advantage disappears. Boost is the great equalizer.

Plus, the Coyote is a huge pain in the hairy hangers to tune properly.
My next Mustang will have more displacement and less tech.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
My next Mustang will have more displacement and less tech.

You know what they say? No replacement.....

BY buddy has a 67' Maro with a 555BB that is 100% pump gas street car. It runs 10.80's all day long. No tech. It's kinda nice.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, Gabe I already have a built motor from mmr. 1000hp 5.0 stroker. When I went to get it tuned it made waay too much boost on pump. Like 24lbs. So they stopped the pull at like 3500 rpm and it made 560 rhwp and 550 tq. Pulleys were too small they said. So I took it home with the intentions of switching them. But it's sat because at the time I was building a new business I started so it wasn't a top priority anymore. But now I'm ready to finish it.

560 at 3500 rpm?
Hehehe. Sploosh.
Should have thrown race gas in the tank and see what it'll do ;)

sprchrgd s197

Reaction score
560 at 3500 rpm?
Hehehe. Sploosh.
Should have thrown race gas in the tank and see what it'll do ;)

Yeah, I know but they came in on a Saturday just to tune for me and didn't have time. So I just drove it home. Like I said it's just been sitting in the gargage.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
If I wanted to go 8's or 9's I would not start with a door slammer of any variety, nothing but headaches.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Poor ol' 3V, red-headed stepchild of the modular family. Not as prolific as the 2V, not as powerful as the Coyote.

Eh, mine does well enough for a street car. Most people don't know the difference anyway!

Anti

forum member
Reaction score
Yea, i get the new yote love, new tech, and new NA power, but that is no reason to hate on 3vs. Anyone else think the 3v sounds better than 4v motor? More true to mustang kinda?

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
The new engine has a firing order that does not lend itself to as nice an exhaust sound. 3v and 2v 4.6's had the windsor HO firing order. Sounds good.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back