Shifter removal issue

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
Trying to change out my shifter in my 08 Bullitt but the rear won't come passed the hole in the tunnel enough for me to tilt it out. Wtf am I doing wrong. Looks so easy on Youtube. The front of the shifter is also hitting the transmission brace so I don't even know if I can angle it enough once I get the rear passed the tunnel hole.

Update:
Took a whole lot more effort than the videos I've watched. Roush shifter went in from underneath, easy peasy. Trying to get that front mount 10mm bolt started was a fuckin bitch. Shifter linkage was no problem. I sheared off 1 of the 2 rear mount 10mm bolts. What's my options here? Drill it out and replace. Can I run it like it is for a little while?

Last edited:

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah I realized that's going to be an issue. I thought I could get in there with the dremel from the top and cut off that stud but the angle is all wrong. I don't see me getting it from underneath either with a drill since it's so far up there. I don't know how the hell to fix it.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I forgot, are the bolts/studs on the shifter or the car frame? If they are on the shifter simply remove the shifter and either fix it or put the old shifter back on. If the studs are on the car frame then maybe look into the shifter bracket made by (something-fish) can't remember the name.

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
They are the studs on the tranny tunnel of the car. I thought about the Blowfish bracket. LMR and American Muscle don't carry them any more...

After a little more searching, looks like Blowfish is coming out with a version 2 for $300. I think I can figure something out. Maybe just drill a new hole in the tunnel to inside or outside of the original stud.

Last edited:

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Oh new blowfish bracket for cheaper? Awesome!

Also I'm glad I made it to your signature :)

golkhl

forum member
Reaction score
What if you remove the center console/seats/trim and pull the carpet? You might be able to drill it out from inside the car. As for the shifter removal/install, I unbolt the front of the driveshaft and move it out of the way, makes it much easier.

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
Those studs are visible from inside the car and you could drill it out easy enough then tack-weld in a bolt of the same length from inside the car. Use a damp heavy cotton towel or canvas around the area and you won't have to remove the interior when tack-welding the bolt head. Use a shop-vac as a smoke eater during the welding process and you won't stink up the interior.

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
What if you remove the center console/seats/trim and pull the carpet? You might be able to drill it out from inside the car.

Damn, why didn't I think of that? The console is the main obstacle. I wouldn't think I'd have to remove the seats and there isn't any carpet to remove in that spot. Thanks for pointing out what should've been obvious to me yesterday.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back