What's the best way to cut nylon braided hose with a steel wire reinforcement?

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Been trying to hook up this Mishimoto universal oil separator that I got, found some 5/8" nylon braided hose on Amazon and decided I was going to use that (just run with clamps).

I got the hose a few days, went to work with it last night and found out the hose has steel wire reinforcement under the nylon braid.

Now, I've worked with stainless braided hose lots of times, and I would just wrap it with electric tape where I wanted the cut, and cut it with a cutoff wheel. But I would think if I try that with the nylon braid it would just melt. I have a feeling a hacksaw would just butcher it too, so what's the best option?

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I used a set of kitchen shears that are designed to cut through bone. Taped it first and got a good, clean cut.

If you do use a set of kitchen shears, make sure your significant other isn't home and remember to wash them and put them away. Don't leave them in the garage, LOL.

nyuk98GT

Infrequent poster
Reaction score
I used a set of kitchen shears that are designed to cut through bone. Taped it first and got a good, clean cut.

If you do use a set of kitchen shears, make sure your significant other isn't home and remember to wash them and put them away. Don't leave them in the garage, LOL.

RED09GT:

LOL! You Canucks are a crafty lot. Good tech tip and safety tip in one post! :beerchug2:

Chris

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'll just try the cutoff wheel then. TBH I did not know that nylon braid hose also had steel wire in it until I got this stuff.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back