replacing front frame rails on a 2008 mustang

07blowngt

forum member
Reaction score
Bought a 2008 mustang that hit a telephone pole and bent the lower front frame rails. Is there a manufacture that makes replacement rails? They are bent in front of the k-member out to the radiator support. Any advice will help

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
yea the rails that run from the body out to that bumper suport

They're part of the unibody and cannot be replaced. The car will need to be set up in a chassis straightener so that the frame rails can be pulled straight, and the engine plus K-member might need to be removed to do the job properly. Do you have any pics of the damage?
I assume the car has a salvage title and your aim is to fix it up. Keep in mind that the car will need to pass a technical inspection after repair so that the title can be converted to rebuilt, whereupon the car would become road legal again.

LikeabossTM

forum member
Reaction score
There is an alternative to pulling it straight if you can cut a straight line and mig plug weld.

The body repair section of the workshop manual has the recommended sectioning location and insert/weld protocol, along with measurement point locations to ensure original placement and structural integrity are maintained.

Let me know if you want a screen cap of the info.

You'd also, of course, need the forward-most 22" or so of good front frame rails from a donor (05-14 any trim will do).

mrt2you

forum member
Reaction score
i have been a body man for over 30 years. ASE and I-Car certified.
there are NO AFTERMARKET frame rails. you can buy frame rails from the factory. they are expensive, $790 LIST price. here is a link to factory motor parts for frame rails and structural components for 05-09 s197 cars.

https://www.factorymoparparts.com/a...body-cat/structural-components-and-rails-scat

you can also buy what salvage yards call 1/4 section. basically you will get 1/4 of a car shell of what you need to replace. you drill out spot welds on the used piece to get the parts you want. after removing the parts you can weld them on your car. the parts will be significantly cheaper than new. but it will be 2 times or more the work to put salvage parts on over new. you must be careful of rust on the used parts also.

both repairs are done every day in the collision industry. you must have the skills and necessary equipment to do the job correctly and safely.
the body shop where i work had to buy a $10,000 pulse mig welder to remain I-Car gold certified shop. it uses electrical pulsed, 100 times a second, current to weld over continuous current on the old welders. this is the new type of welders required to weld on modern cars with high strength steel. the older welders and any 120V welders are considered obsolete by I-Car standards today.

frame rail replacement isn't something that can be done properly without $$$$ equipment. you will need to get the car on a frame rack with 3 Dimensional, length width and height simultaneously, measuring equipment. the damaged parts will have to be pulled back into specs before cutting and replacing parts. there will be damages to the frame rails that the average person won't even notice, most of the time there is uni body damage that even i can't see until it on the rack and the uni body is measured. also if 1 frame rail is bent the other one bends also. they are connected together by the bumper reinforcement.
you can replace just part of the rail behind the crumble zones with a process called offset sleeved butt welds. basically you cut the rail in a side to side step fashion, you put a backing plate you made with the old frame rail behind where you plan to weld, the once everything is in place you butt weld the joint between the old and new rail.

Last edited:

ShawnH

Reaction score
There is an alternative to pulling it straight if you can cut a straight line and mig plug weld.

The body repair section of the workshop manual has the recommended sectioning location and insert/weld protocol, along with measurement point locations to ensure original placement and structural integrity are maintained.

Let me know if you want a screen cap of the info.

You'd also, of course, need the forward-most 22" or so of good front frame rails from a donor (05-14 any trim will do).
I also have a 2008 Mustang GT that was wrecked in the front is there anyway I can get a copy of that workshop manual document that you’re talking about

LikeabossTM

forum member
Reaction score
I also have a 2008 Mustang GT that was wrecked in the front is there anyway I can get a copy of that workshop manual document that you’re talking about
I can send you my rendering of a sample of it, however, you don't seem to have enough history here for a dm

ShawnH

Reaction score
I can send you my rendering of a sample of it, however, you don't seem to have enough history here for a dm
How much history do you have to have to get help with a project? I have the front clip removed from my 08 that includes the lower frame rails upper frame rails and inner fender structure and shock Towers. I have the donor parts replace all that but without those measurements I'm stuck.

Alazar

Reaction score
Shawn I'm in the same boat I have my 05 gt stripped down to the rails and cant find a accurate height for the front of the rails.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back