Traction LOK Spider gear play

XavierTahiti

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Anyone ever had a play in his differential's spider gear ?

I had a loud noise comming form the rear axle a few weeks ago. I first thought that I was having an issue with the ring and pinion, maybe a broken teeth, or something else. But when I oppened the rear axle, I found that the only play I had (except the backlash) was the two gears mounted accross the cross pin, in the spider gear. I had a 5mm play when turning the wheels, the gear was moving up and down on 5 milimeter.

What do you guys think about that ? Is that normal ?
Pininon, ring and traction lok diff where installed by myself, and every play, backlash and shims where checked before riding the car (all good). Motul LSD competition oil 75w140 was added (with friction modifier in it). I did almost 400miles before noise appear.

For your information, I replaced the differential with my old one (80.000 miles on it), and no more noise or play in the wheels.

Thanks
Xavier

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
Same with my 2013 GT, very noisy rear this winter with 40k on car. Changed rear fluid with royal purple and friction modifier and about 100 miles later was gone. I didn't open my cover up as at 10k miles installed ford racing cover with drain and fill plug. Next change I'll take it off.

Now on my 2003 GT I opened the rear up this winter and my spider gears have same exact play in it and is fine. I never checked my 2013 spider gears 4 years ago when I put the cover on as it was new, kinda wish I would have so I would also have a comparison to go by on my 2003

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that play is normal. I've had the spider gears fall out when the S spring has popped out and there is certainly some wiggle room when re-installing the gears.

TANN3R_

Reaction score
Hello,
at the beginning I apologize for my bad English:)

I want to ask the more experienced about the clearances between spider gears and side gears. I´m solving problem with tapping noise. This tap/clunk noise made my rear end every time when I step on throttle, most noticible at higher gears (4,5) but you can notice it clearly at any time.
My question is: Is it the spider gear problem?

I'm showing the play on the video:

I want to change my spider gear, side gears an clutch pack, but I'm not sure this will solve my problem.

My ring and pinion backlash is OK. Only other place that where there is too much play is between side gears and axle shafts.

Thank you in advance for your help!

RED09GT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Nothing looks out of the ordinary to me on that video.
Have you checked your U-joints?
Is the noise a single tap/clunk or does it repeat?

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
The spider gears look fine to me. For noticeable clunks I tend to look at suspension components. I'm guessing a bushing is worn out and needs to be replaced. Does the car drive weird over different surfaces?

TANN3R_

Reaction score
Thanks for answers.

RED09GT: U-joints looks good. I checked whole driveshaft many time and there is not any play. But yes, the clunk is felt like play in U-joints for me. Single big slap, when the backlash somewhere disappears.

01yellerCobra: Car drives good. I´m not feeling any problems with suspension, but I have very stiff suspension set from H&R, so ride is very discomfortable and hard.

My thought was when I change my clutch pack in rear end, the amount of backlash between spider gears and side gears will be lower. That maybe will improve whole ride..

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
Are you running the coilovers from H&R? Spider gears aren't going to affect the ride. What is the rest of the suspension set up?

Last edited:

TANN3R_

Reaction score
I have this set, adjusted to the highest possible setting so about one inch lower then factory hight:
https://www.stangmods.com/H-R-RSS29170-RSS-Adjustable-Coil-Over-Kit-05-10-p/5010.htm

Rest of suspension is stock include stock panhard bar. Due to small difference between factory height and the H&R set, is there not other issue with it. Rear end is centered.

Except the clunk/tap noise is there no other issue with rear end.

Rick Simons

Reaction score
Seems to me the main thing that determines the amount of backlash in the spider gears is the total thickness of the clutch packs. Could be wear on the spider gear thrust washers but that's not very likely. How did the oil look?

TANN3R_

Reaction score
Rick: You'll be right. I got out both side gears with clutch pack and I measured actual thickness. One side was 0.635 and other 0.628 so my clutch pack is definitely got some wear. I decided to replace the clutch pack and then I will see if there any improvement.

I'm just deciding which one of clutch pack set I will bought. I have M-4700-B on hand, but my car was come with M-4700-C (carbon fiber plates) from factory. Is there anybody who can tell if it is possible to switch to old style clutches?

I noticed some pitting on side and spider gears. I don't know if it is problem or normal condition. Seems like material structure from method of production. I'am planing to let them in place. Ring and pinion looks good and smooth.
IMG_20200119_190604.jpg

RED09GT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The standard ones will fit as the carbon fibre and the normal ones are interchangeable.

A lot of people used to pack them CSCSCSC rather than CSSCSSC.
C=Clutch
S=Steel

TANN3R_

Reaction score
I'm reporting after clutch pack replacement:

- this procedure does not solve my problem with too much play somewhere, which cause the clunk. So my main problem hasn't been solved but the rear axle is now much more tight and the LSD works way better. I also had quite large end play on both axle shafts, about 0,75mm. Now the end play is about 0,15mm.

- my car have now 77k miles and original clutch pack was completely gone. I thing it is good maintenance to change clutches and oil due to the large amount of dirt from old and wear clutches.

- now I´m planning to drive it about 100-200km and change oil in rear end again.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back